post workout drink

bmacy168

bmacy168

Awards
i am a professional boxer and fight at 168 pounds. i previously walked around at about 190 in between fights and knew next to nothing about nutrition. while my regimen is becoming better and better with the more literature i read and time i have to experience results i still struggle somewhat with my weight. My post workout drink is usually whey protein with a banana and milk or just mixed in gatorade. i stay away from these fast digesting carbs at all other times of the day. even though these carbs are to replenish my glycogen do you think i would lose more weight if i just had protein and water for instance? any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

ParaManiac

ParaManiac

Awards
Imo you would be compromising your recovery abilities and subsequent gains.

I would,at the very least add 20 -30g Glutamine to that shake,or much better,sacrifice carbs from other meals and up the cardio if more weight loss is desired

Have you thought about substituting the Gatorade PWO for a more complex carb source such as fine oats or WMS?

AMTorres

AMTorres

Awards
  • Established
Imo you would be compromising your recovery abilities and subsequent gains.

I would,at the very least add 20 -30g Glutamine to that shake,or much better,sacrifice carbs from other meals and up the cardio if more weight loss is desired

Have you thought about substituting the Gatorade PWO for a more complex carb source such as fine oats or WMS?
Great idea Maniac! I need to stop the PWO gatorades!

bmacy168

bmacy168

Awards
i do use glutamine and have noticed the improvement of recovery greatly. what is wms? when you say fine oats would my steel cut oats in the blender be sufficient. i started to add a banana also for the carbs and damn does it improve the taste. i had a protein shake i was making with vanilla whey, soy milk, banana, natty pb, strawberry preserves, and some ice, it was a tremendous tasting shake but to much stuff in it when i have to make weight. thank you for the help brother

ParaManiac

ParaManiac

Awards
You can use oats that way,however,most of the bulk companies in the UK sell ultra fine oats(grounded to flour consistency) that mix great.

WMS = Waxy maize starch (basically good old cornflour)

Another excellent PWO carb mix is Brown Rice flour

About 30 -40g of any will be sufficient.

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
WMS makes me feel bloated like a house! IMO i would sacrifice good natural food (banana, apple) for glycogen restoration. Oatmeal is great but its slow digesting, why take it PWO? never really cared for gatorade...have u thought of juice?

ParaManiac

ParaManiac

Awards
WMS makes me feel bloated like a house! IMO i would sacrifice good natural food (banana, apple) for glycogen restoration. Oatmeal is great but its slow digesting, why take it PWO? never really cared for gatorade...have u thought of juice?
Always a first i guess,however,it works for me.

Anyway,many ways to skin a cat,just find the one that suits you best.

The High GI carb PWO theory is not always suitable for some and certainly not definitive.

Fructose PWO is also flawed.

As original post,my choice,if dieting,would be 20g + Glutamine or a even a fat source.

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
true, everyone is different, but Glutamine is a staple in my supp cabinet

bmacy168

bmacy168

Awards
damn i ran out of glutamine and i miss it already i swear i feel alot more sore than previously. also i ditched the gatorade put some apple juice in with vanilla its tastes good. im fighting feb 6 so i started cutting alot of shyt out of the shake to make the weight, but i enjoy all the nutrition im learning from everyone

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
does anyone know if theres a big difference in pilled glutamine vs powdered gluatmine???

in my experience when bulking (off season for you), i cram in as much good food as possible, and when im cutting just cut out certain pieces, youll be surprised how much strength you can keep and shed off the fat