Comments on Diet for Leaning out

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Okay I had some help with this one but I am not sure it is totally right.. Just looks like it is too much.. Comments are very welcome.

Using YJ's formula for finding BMR, mine is 3863 calories that is for me at 260.

Okay here goes the diet

Meal #1

2 whole eggs, 8 egg whites, 2 servings of oatmeal (11/3 cups), 18 oz of water

Meal #2

8 oz chicken breast, 2 cups brown rice, 1 cup green beans, 18 oz of water

Meal #3

8 oz turkey, 1 cup corn, 1 cup green beans, 18 oz water

Meal #4

8 oz chicken breast, large salad( lettuce, carrots, and mushrooms), 18 oz of water

Meal #5

Myoplex w/18 oz skim milk or 18 oz soy milk

Meal #6

6 oz of tuna fish, 2 cups Broccoli, 18 oz of water

Total Calories came out to be 3665 with 37g of fat, 452 of carbs, and 346 protein.. my lean muscle is about 218 lbs because of my damn 15-16% bodyfat.. I am trying to get to between 8% or 9% by April. I would appreciate any help with this.. If you need me to I will post at least the 1st 6 weeks of my exercise plan.

Thanks

Matt D

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Very nice and very impressive, its obvious you've taken sometime and research to get all this and you've done well. Wow, A total breakdown of cals, and everything. Thats it man, You've done it.

Only thing I dont like much is the 8 egg whites. Albumen protein is overrated and you're going to get tired of cooking 8 egg whites each morning, so cut it down to about 4 and have a large glass of milk to compensate for the other 4.

Last edited:

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Actually I cheat on the egg whites usually.. I use scramblers or the egg whites in a carton.. but I think I might take it down to 4 just for the extra savings of the money.. LOL

Thanks YJ

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
I got the edit but it was 346 on the protein. I thought about putting in a whey/casien shake and that would workout great with my schedule because of the time factor I have between class... thanks again YJ

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Alright Matt- Now that Im awake, let me go back over this with you-

You have your BMR @ 3863- from the top of my head and experience that seems to be right on.

Now you're getting 37g of fat thats 333 calories from fat.
You're getting 346 grams of protein thats 1384 calories from Pro.
Carbs at 452 grams; thats 1808 cals from carbs.

Now that all adds up to be 3525. You're 140 cals short of your original meal plan of 3665 brother. Go back over it and see if those final 140 cals can be accounted for, if not, leave them out, thats fine.

Second now that Im normal, your carbs are a bit high and your fat is a bit low. Protein is fine. I personally would shift some of those carbohydrate calories over to essential fat calories. Im not sure what supplements you are using, but I'll get to that later. I would go for something like this:

Protein @ 346g
Carbs @ 350g
Fat @ 65g

This all totals together to come to 3369 calories per day. Now I hate to suggest this, but if you're dedicated its not to hard to make minor adjustments to your diet, since you have already done a killer job. Now your BMR is 3863, say you do change and you're eating 3369 cals. per day. That puts you at almost a perfect 500 cal. deficiency for the day (494) to be exact. And we all know 3500 cals = 1lb of fat. So if you just follow this diet alone, you are already going to lose about 1lb of fat with close to no cardio. But here's the catch: if you add cardio you can burn even more pure fat.

I suggest this because your goal to almost cut your bodyfat in half by April is a pretty high goal to reach and you're going to need to burn all the bodyfat you can. Thermodynamics will apply here to a certain point because remember carbs are essential in the metabolism of fat so there will be a few calories here and there burnt just from the metabolism of fat and the synthesis of protein, etc. but not enough to bank on, but they help.

Remember, its safe to burn about 3 or 4lbs of fat per week if you are getting the proper amount of protein. As for supplements, flax oil will be almost essential here to get those 65g of carbs from good fats. Poly Unsaturated fats from foods in your normal diet are welcome as well as monounsaturated, but I recommend a flax oil supplement (like $10 at the most) to go along with your diet. Im not sure if you elected to use a ECA or NYC thermogenic along with your normal supps. but if you do, fat burning process will only be quicker, but remember adding any form of a ECA or NYC / Thermogenic will make you more prone to use amino acids for energy, so if you elect to use a thermo. or fat burning supp. you might want to up your protein grams for the day, this may mean adding another shake somewhere. I encourage you to monitor your strength progress while cutting, if you're losing some strength noticably, depending on your fat burning status, add more protein and lighten up the cardio a bit.

I would also like to see a sample training routine and cardio routine you plan to follow, and my friend you are almost complete here and brokedown as far as you can get man, impressive.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
This is taken from an email I sent to my workout partner about our upcoming workout for the next 6 weeks.

Day 1 (Sundays)
Back and Shoulders

Back
Iso Lat Pulldowns or Wide Grip Pulldowns <X-TAB>       </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB>4x8
Straight Arm Pulldowns <X-TAB> </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>                        </X-TAB>3x8
Low Rows <X-TAB>       </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>                     </X-TAB>4x8
Rear Pulldowns <X-TAB> </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>                           </X-TAB>3x8
Hyperextensions <X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>                  </X-TAB>2x15 or 3x15

<B>Shoulders
</B>Front Presses <X-TAB>  </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>                    </X-TAB>4x8
Upright Rows <X-TAB>   </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>                    </X-TAB>3x8
BB or DB Shrugs <X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>                 </X-TAB>3x8-10
Lat Raises  <X-TAB>    </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>                      </X-TAB>3x8-10

<B><I>Day 2 (Mondays)

</I>Cardio or Rest
</B>you will have to decide what you need to do here.. I would suggest at least 30-45 minutes of cardio.  

<B><I>Day 3 (Tuesday)
</I>Legs

</B>Leg Extensions    <X-TAB>      </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>                 </X-TAB>4x10
Leg Press <X-TAB>      </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>                    </X-TAB>4x8-10
Squats (you) Hack Squats (me)<X-TAB>   </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>                 </X-TAB>3x8
Kneeling Leg Curls<X-TAB>      </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>                </X-TAB>4x8
Seated Toe Raises<X-TAB>       </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>               </X-TAB>4x15

<B><I>Day 4 (Wednesday)

</I>Cardio or Rest
</B>Suggestion of 30-45 minutes of cardio.. you might want to try interval training here.

<B><I>Day 5 (Thursday)
</I>Chest and Abs

Chest
</B>Bench Press <X-TAB>    </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>                     </X-TAB>4x8
Incline DB Presses<X-TAB>      </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>                   </X-TAB>3x8
Decline Presses (DB or BB)<X-TAB>      </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>              </X-TAB>3x8
Wide Chest <X-TAB>     </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>                      </X-TAB>3x8-10

<B>Abs
</B>Crunches <X-TAB>       </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>                        </X-TAB>3xfailure
Ball or normal obique Crunches<X-TAB>  </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>               </X-TAB>3x25
Ab Machine      </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>                       </X-TAB>3x25

<I>Day 6 (Friday)
</I>Triceps, Biceps and Forearms
(Biceps are my week area)

Biceps
Standing BB Curls<X-TAB>       </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>                       </X-TAB>4x8
Seated Bicep Machine<X-TAB>    </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>                    </X-TAB>3x8
Standing Cable Concentration Curls or Hammer Curls or BB Curls<X-TAB>  </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB>3x8

<B>Triceps
</B>Close Grip Bench<X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>                       </X-TAB>4x8
Skull Crushers<X-TAB>  </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>                         </X-TAB>3x8
Pushdowns or Tricep Extensions<X-TAB>  </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>                       </X-TAB>3x8

<B>Forearms
</B>Wrist Curls<X-TAB>     </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>        </X-TAB><X-TAB>                           </X-TAB>4x12-15

<B><I>Day 7 (Saturday)
</I>REST

After every workout we can do cardio about 25-30 minutes each time.. I would suggest we do a interval training on this.
</B>

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Revised diet

Meal #1

4 egg whites or eggbeaters
1 whole egg
8 oz milk
1 1/3 cups of oatmeal
18 oz water

Meal #2

Pro Blend 55 Protein Shake

Meal #3

8 oz Chicken Breast
1 cup Brown Rice
1 cup Green Beans
18 oz water

Meal #4

8 oz turkey or fish
2 cups whole kernal corn
1 cup raw carrots or 1 large carrot
18 oz water

Meal #5
Myoplex with water

Meal #6

8 oz chicken breast
Large salad (consisting of 2 cups lettuce,1/3 cup carrots, 2 tbs olive oil(switching to flax when I get it), 2 med sized mushrooms
18 oz water

Meal #7

1 can (6 oz) of tuna
2 cups raw broccoli
18 oz water

Breakdown
68 g fat              612 calories
312 carbs          1248 calories
340 protein        1360 calories

Total calories     3220 calories

Supplements

Prolabs  Therma Pro,Syntrax    Guggulbolic, and ALA.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
your training looks very solid also. only gliche i see is possibly between your chest/ab and arms day (5 and 6) With shoulders im fine, but when i hit chest the day prior to working my tris, im a bit burnt out from the day before to hit triceps with full effort. It is better to have it like this than have arms on day 5 and having to work the chest a day later....but personally, i try to split arms away from chest or back day (w/ a day or two break between....thats where i use the rest days and leg day to achieve this) Other than that, looking good. well...you missing out on some good lifts for your back without deads, bb rows, trows, but you do have some exercise which mimic and incorporate the same muslces...and also, this is a leaning out program. good work

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
thanks Sage.. I did notice that we might have a problem with the arms... if worse comes to worse we will move it around..

as far as deadlifts, t-rows, and bb rows... I have  a messed up back.. bulging disks, so for right now deads are out for me.. the Hammer Low row seems to work just like a bb row for me... ie seems to hit the same muscles. I might have to look at finding out about deadlifts, but the last word I got from my doctor was no pressure directly inline with the spine... anyone got some some suggestion on what I could do?

SteveDFW

Awards
I agree on the flax addition and you might think about adding extra virgin or extra light olive oil in addition to the flax. The flax is great for the omega 3's. One thing about the olive oil (no omega 3's) that I have found and others is that once you get up to 3 - 6 tablespoons a day you start sweating big time.

I know the argument about not supplementing anything but Omega 3's since we get enough Omega 6's and 9's in our normal diet (and I always followed it until I tried olive oil). But olive oil must be doing something "special" to make one sweat.

Also, I have found the olive oil tasted much better in protein shakes than the flax.

#1 You really need the omega 3' in flax
#2 EV olive oil is a good addition and it's cheaper than flax too

Timbo

Awards
Matthew...YJ went very in-depth in providing very helpful and insightful comments. His caloric recommendations of about 3200 calories would be great, and you could shoot for somewhere between 3100 and 3200. Just cleaning up your nutrition, making solid food choices and being consistent will often provide decent results for most people, even at their maintenance intake. As you came up with your Total Daily Energy Expenditure estimate of 3863, does this represent about maintenance intake for you? This will prove helpful also.

The first thing I noticed was your lack of fat in the diet, but YJ addressed this. I would concentrate on adding some fat in the form of flax and fish oils, first and foremost. Omega-3s offer far too many health and physique benefits to get cheap or lazy here. I don't like to see fat calories below 15-20% of total, ever. I also like to see at least 3g of EPA/DHA taken daily for optimal benefits. Include fatty fish like salmon in your daily diet and take a tablespoon or two or flax or an oil blend, like Udo's.

Brown rice and oats (old-fashioned) are excellent choices, and others include yams, lentils, whole-grain or mixed-grain breads, oat bran, vegetables and some fruits.

As far as meal two what are you taking with your protein blend? This might be an optimal time to mix in some flax oil. You could probably do the same thing at meal five also. That is the protein blend (not the Myoplex) with some EFAs.

What about pre/during/post-workout nutrition? You don't post any details about this, and this is prime time, my friend.

As far as training goes, the first thing that jumped out at me was your Back training. You've got a pretty big imbalance (in this program alone, which might be indicative of former training habits also) between horizontal pushing (i.e., bench presses) and horizontal pulling (i.e., where's the rows!). I would include either T-Bar Rows or Barbell Rows and then at least one, if not two, other rows. Of course, you'd cut down on your vertical pulling (i.e., pulldowns) movements subsequently. I would get rid of straight-arm pulldowns completely. And I prefer chins or pullups to any pulldown movement. You've also got some imbalances between your quad and hamstring exercise selections. I'm not fond of starting out with extensions (for work sets, but a warmup would be fine) and would rather see you start with real squats, leg presses or hack squats. How about stiff-leg deadlifts for hammies? Would this aggravate your back? If so, you may choose two separate leg curling exercises. How about Dips and Flys for chest? These could be substituted for your last two exercises selected. Arm training looks fine, except that I would opt for Preacher Curls over the machine. I also would suggest Cable Curls or Hammer Curls over the Cable Concentration curls.

Good luck, Matt, and let me know if you've got any more questions or comments.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Timbo

Thanks for the look.. the main thing about my back is that I have degreneration of the disk in my back.. so I can't deadlift so that really puts a cramp in my back training. The low row is actually the Hammer low row and to me it work like a bb row. I have tried to do chins but being 260 it is kinda hard to lift my ass up enough times to get anything out of it. Also, I can't squat because of my back.. so I am limit on what I can do.. I really appreciate you taking the time to help. I guess I need to work on the workout.

Thanks

Matt