Depletion "requirements"

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Well, I'm on a CKD and I usually do my depletion workout on Friday, but I have basketball practice now. As far as I know, cardio doesn't burn off as much glycogen from your storage than actually lifting does, so your depletion should be lifting, and little, if any, cardio. After practice though, I really don't feel like lifting. I am going to be doing only 2-3 sets on bis and then some abs/back, but not nearly as much as normal.

My question is, do I need to do another full depletion workout? In practice you use every muscle in your legs and then your core muscles, but very little upper body. So when I get home I would do a 10-15 min workout of upper body just to take out some more storage, then immediately start refeed.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
Careful in "depleting." You don't want to overtrain your CNS. But as far as the upper body workout, do something like a Hypertrophy Specific Training. In short, Monday, Wednesday, Friday lift 1-2 exercises for each: shoulder, chest, back. Maybe 1 set for each bi's and tris Monday and Friday. Compound exercises being the key. Don't sit and do every angle and grip of concentrated bicep curls.
Whats the refeed looking like?
I'd suggest after depletion a piece of fruit and a 25-40 grams of whey, depending on your weight.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Include some leg work at the very least, keep the reps high, 15 rep stuff. You need to hit every muscle, I just did my depletion yesterday night, first time I did a circuit training style I went through about 18 sets in 25 minutes with just 1 small water run in between sets. My cardio needs to improve, thats the only reason it stopped at 18 sets.

Concentrate more on your chest, back, arms, I don't see why people bother with abdominal work in depletion to be honest when your core has an intricate and constant role in every exercise you perform. Do squats and calf raises, of course you'd only need a very few sets compared to upper body work.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
I'd suggest after depletion a piece of fruit and a 25-40 grams of whey, depending on your weight.
Aside from fruit not exactly being the best post workout choice, he said CKD, glucose glucose glucose.

Julio R

Awards
in my opinion most fruits are overrated, specially in a ketosis diet.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Include some leg work at the very least, keep the reps high, 15 rep stuff. You need to hit every muscle, I just did my depletion yesterday night, first time I did a circuit training style I went through about 18 sets in 25 minutes with just 1 small water run in between sets. My cardio needs to improve, thats the only reason it stopped at 18 sets.

Concentrate more on your chest, back, arms, I don't see why people bother with abdominal work in depletion to be honest when your core has an intricate and constant role in every exercise you perform. Do squats and calf raises, of course you'd only need a very few sets compared to upper body work.

I train like this 3 times per week...hard and heavy full body circuit training (2-3 sets each excercise - 4-8 rep range, plus cardio and some stretching/light lifting for forearms, core and such on off days). Is this bad on a CKD? Am I depleting too early? All I know is that I'm getting new growth and really leaning out too, nice recomp effect going on so it seems to be working, but I don't know if it's optimal to train like this on a CKD.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
You're not, 4-8 reps is fine, the final workout should be a little more intense and higher rep in my opinion, but you aren't draining anything too soon.