Low carb diet

jon671

jon671

Awards
  • Established
Okay so I am gonna do no carb for about a month or two and then slowly increase carbs back to current level. I take muscle milk lite(until starting diet), multivitamin, fish oil, coconut oil, zma and bromocriptine to lower my prolactin. I am thinking about adding a calcium supplement. My question is this with low to no carbs what else should I do since there will be less calcium, no sugar, more fat........in my diet. Is the fish oil enough to keep cholesterol in check? I have low testosterone, but I think that it would be better to do this and lose weight.

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure if Bromo plus a low carb diet would be the best choice. I know that it can cause hypogycemia so combining it with a no carb diet might be problematic. I haven't used it before so I don't have a definative answer for you. Just feel it out and if you get too hypo, then stop the bromo. You could always add P-5-P and/or mucana but it probably won't be as effective at reducing prolactin. Perhaps some with a little more experience with bromo could chime in.

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
Try UD 2.0
Low carb for a long time is retarded as the person doing it.
You'll lose to much muscle and feel like ****.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Try UD 2.0
Low carb for a long time is retarded as the person doing it.
You'll lose to much muscle and feel like ****.
take it easy there, hotrod. dude's only got a slight problem here. running no carb for that long will be problematic, though.

i'd say that you do what is called "carb cycling." one high day, next mid day, next low day, followed by one/two no days. and then repeat. i've never used this method, but i can bet it works, as i've seen people use it with results.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
Okay so I am gonna do no carb for about a month or two and then slowly increase carbs back to current level. I take muscle milk lite(until starting diet), multivitamin, fish oil, coconut oil, zma and bromocriptine to lower my prolactin. I am thinking about adding a calcium supplement. My question is this with low to no carbs what else should I do since there will be less calcium, no sugar, more fat........in my diet. Is the fish oil enough to keep cholesterol in check? I have low testosterone, but I think that it would be better to do this and lose weight.
Do a search on the Anabolic Diet. It may be a better fit for you.

As far as cholesterol, mine got better on the AD, which is low carb, high fat. I think the link between sat fat and cholesterol may be a myth, at least for me.

jon671

jon671

Awards
  • Established
take it easy there, hotrod. dude's only got a slight problem here. running no carb for that long will be problematic, though.

i'd say that you do what is called "carb cycling." one high day, next mid day, next low day, followed by one/two no days. and then repeat. i've never used this method, but i can bet it works, as i've seen people use it with results.
Thanks brah will try.

jon671

jon671

Awards
  • Established
Do a search on the Anabolic Diet. It may be a better fit for you.

As far as cholesterol, mine got better on the AD, which is low carb, high fat. I think the link between sat fat and cholesterol may be a myth, at least for me.
I think I might try the carb cycling or maybe atkins. Last time I started atkins and then just kept in ketosis with no carbs. I lost 75 pounds and my muscles got bigger. Thanks

jon671

jon671

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone have any thoughts on the fact that I take bromo and want to do low carb?

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Go ahead and add some calcium citrate, about 1000mg will be fine.

that's fine with the whey, multi, etc.... don't take calcium 1-2 hours before or 1-2 hours after ZMA, Calcium inhibits the absorption of zinc.

Cholesterol is not gonna be an issue, it actually improves for most people on a low carb diet.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure if Bromo plus a low carb diet would be the best choice. I know that it can cause hypogycemia so combining it with a no carb diet might be problematic. I haven't used it before so I don't have a definative answer for you. Just feel it out and if you get too hypo, then stop the bromo. You could always add P-5-P and/or mucana but it probably won't be as effective at reducing prolactin. Perhaps some with a little more experience with bromo could chime in.
Dead on. That's the biggest problem with combining it with a low carb diet. Thats pretty much all i've seem written about use while on a low carb diet. Best way to combat that would be to increase carb intake through the day and partition usage during times around blood sugar drops.

BiggerGeek

Awards
don't people take bromo to increase their insulin sensitivity??? If you are doing low carbs, you should end up with a really high insulin sensitivity anyways. The only place I could see it helping is on refeed days if you decide to implement them

jon671

jon671

Awards
  • Established
don't people take bromo to increase their insulin sensitivity??? If you are doing low carbs, you should end up with a really high insulin sensitivity anyways. The only place I could see it helping is on refeed days if you decide to implement them
I take bromo to lower prolactin. Trying to raise testosterone if it doesn't do it on the next blood test I am gonna stop taking it.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
P5P and chast berry with Ldopa to lower prolactin, ditch the bromocriptine

as for the diet low carb is the way to go,

fats from your EFAs fish chicken red meat olive oil macadamia nut oil,

do a refeed meal 1 time a week on that same day and time every week.

low intensity cardio,

low volume training with high intensity and no longer then 1 hour in the gym (unless u do cardio.)

take mulit, and calcium+D fiber supps inbetween meals (not with a fatty acid supplement)

veggies should be limited as they will keep bulk in your stomach and keep it streched, (dont have more then 2 servings a day)

this is a great outline for a keto (being a nutrition makor i still shouldnt be telling you how to do it lol, but if i said it wont work id be lying just like the ADA)

soooo any other questions.? did i cover eveything?

jon671

jon671

Awards
  • Established

low intensity cardio,

low volume training with high intensity and no longer then 1 hour in the gym (unless u do cardio.)

take mulit, and calcium+D fiber supps inbetween meals (not with a fatty acid supplement)

veggies should be limited as they will keep bulk in your stomach and keep it streched, (dont have more then 2 servings a day)

this is a great outline for a keto (being a nutrition makor i still shouldnt be telling you how to do it lol, but if i said it wont work id be lying just like the ADA)

Thanks I appreciate it. I am going to try CKD for a month and see what happens. I downloaded a excel spreadsheet from this forum and determined my dietary needs, but what about the workout routine. I started a routine a while ago and it is working I might just continue the same routine. You say only have one refeed meal, but the CKD plan says one and a half days of carbs. I know intake is limited during this time. I want to try this and then slowly raise healthy carb intake. I take fish oil, ZMA, bromo, and a multivitamin. I am going to drop the bromo and add calcium+D and fiber supps. Like you recommended.
Thoughts?

jon671

jon671

Awards
  • Established
Okay well I just got back from vitamin world and the grocery store. I got enough food for about two weeks of CKD. My new stack is this Fish oil 3x a day w each main meal, Multivitamin 1x in the morning and bone care w Calcium, vitamins d and k 1x in the morning. I dropped the ZMA and instead I bought separate bottles of Zinc, Magnesium, and B-6 I am going to take one of each at night with 1tbsp coconut oil. Is it okay to take the coconut oil while on CKD? Is there anything else that can help keep my heart healthy? I am also thinking about adding creatine.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Okay well I just got back from vitamin world and the grocery store. I got enough food for about two weeks of CKD. My new stack is this Fish oil 3x a day w each main meal, Multivitamin 1x in the morning and bone care w Calcium, vitamins d and k 1x in the morning. I dropped the ZMA and instead I bought separate bottles of Zinc, Magnesium, and B-6 I am going to take one of each at night with 1tbsp coconut oil. Is it okay to take the coconut oil while on CKD? Is there anything else that can help keep my heart healthy? I am also thinking about adding creatine.
its technically OK, but id rather a heart healthy fat, or essential fat, the coconut oil, although it does have its place in a bulk... i guess if you want to do a teaspoon to each meal thats not bad, it can help increase your thyroid..

jon671

jon671

Awards
  • Established
its technically OK, but id rather a heart healthy fat, or essential fat, the coconut oil, although it does have its place in a bulk... i guess if you want to do a teaspoon to each meal thats not bad, it can help increase your thyroid..
Thanks I take the coconut oil at bedtime only. I take a fish oil capsule three times daily after every main meal. Trying to eat at least five times a day, but always at least four. Is the fish oil capsules enough for heart health? I also just got a fiber supplement powder this morning. So gonna start adding that tomorrow. First day not so bad, but eating no carbs make me pee a lot. lol

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thanks I take the coconut oil at bedtime only. I take a fish oil capsule three times daily after every main meal. Trying to eat at least five times a day, but always at least four. Is the fish oil capsules enough for heart health? I also just got a fiber supplement powder this morning. So gonna start adding that tomorrow. First day not so bad, but eating no carbs make me pee a lot. lol
that will happen because u have no carbs to absorb the water, which is why sodium intake should not matter on this diet unless your hypertensive.

Fiberlyze by species nutrition is GREAT, also the OMEGALYZE (its a complete fatty acid supp with GLA EPA DHA ect..)

do NOT take your fish oil with fiber, itll bind the the fatty acids and will be useless.

if you dont get fiberlyze, go for some orange sugar free metamucil. (the other flavors taste like ****.)

jon671

jon671

Awards
  • Established
Off topic a little bit, but for the last few days I have been constipated. I am eliminating caffeine and adding fiber. I started the CKD diet today so I don't think it is what caused it. I have been for the last three months taking muscle milke lite twice a day. I am experiencing symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome abdominal discomfort that alleviates with movement....... Is it possible I am taking too much stuff and it's clogging me up? Should I do a cleanse or something or is adding the fiber enough?

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Off topic a little bit, but for the last few days I have been constipated. I am eliminating caffeine and adding fiber. I started the CKD diet today so I don't think it is what caused it. I have been for the last three months taking muscle milke lite twice a day. I am experiencing symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome abdominal discomfort that alleviates with movement....... Is it possible I am taking too much stuff and it's clogging me up? Should I do a cleanse or something or is adding the fiber enough?

high fiber and not enough watrer can back u up and dehydrate you aswell,

high fiber a lot of water, should be a staple in any diet.

its most likely the fact that you are not eating any fiber, feeling bloated, constipated, stomach pains ect, have a heaping tablespoon of metamucil drink a **** load of water , and call me in the morning lol. you can do this every 4 hours until you ****. and then just to stay regular after that first initial crap, haqve it inbetween every meal,

BiggerGeek

Awards
when supplementing with fiber, you should gradually increase the dose (as well as make sure you have enough water). Too much fiber when you are not use to it can cause tummy issues for sure

jon671

jon671

Awards
  • Established
when supplementing with fiber, you should gradually increase the dose (as well as make sure you have enough water). Too much fiber when you are not use to it can cause tummy issues for sure
I am taking http://www.vitaminworld.com/pages/file.asp?xs=5FF5B7189FC5452093DFCE2050166467&PID=1679&CID=219&CPID=2888

I drink lots of water all day. I take it in the morning half an hour before breakfast. I drink a large glass of water before and after taking it. Tastes gross, but it does the job. I am working towards twice a day, but want to like you suggested take it slow. I still feel discomfort though even though I am going more often. It feels like pressure from my pelvis to my lower abdomen like I need to fart or some s*it. It has been four days. I am hoping it goes away. I am going to the doctor in a week or two if it doesn't. Also my testes are fine no bumps and I have been having bloodwork up the a** and my endo says no problems so far even though I have low test.

BiggerGeek

Awards
I take fiber sure tablets when dieting if I get hungry between meals. One day, I accidentally took too many (not sure how many though). I was sitting in class in serious pain because I had to fart so bad. Serious bloating and stomach cramps. I think I might of torn something if I had let it all out at once. I had to release it in control burst as I walked to my car because there where lots of people around. It was about a 5 minute walk and I was seriously farting every 10 seconds.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
If you have any specific low carb questions don't hesitate to PM me!

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Yes very normal, very real. Glycogen is hydroscopic, it will draw in water into the muscles. One of the reasons for the drastic weight drops when people enter keto. Lowered glycogen stores, lowered intramuscular water stores.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yes very normal, very real. Glycogen is hydroscopic, it will draw in water into the muscles. One of the reasons for the drastic weight drops when people enter keto. Lowered glycogen stores, lowered intramuscular water stores.

but the crazy thing is the high EFAs and monounsaturated fats, fill the muscle bellies quite well.

jon671

jon671

Awards
  • Established
I lost another 2 pounds so things are going good. I am thinking of doing cardio in the morning a few times a week before breakfast. I think I will be doing this for about two months. Hopefully by Christmas I will be more fit and maybe post some pics.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I lost another 2 pounds so things are going good. I am thinking of doing cardio in the morning a few times a week before breakfast. I think I will be doing this for about two months. Hopefully by Christmas I will be more fit and maybe post some pics.
keep up the good work.

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
I run a low carb (only carbs from brocolli and some cottege cheese) and i carb up every 18th meal (last meal every third day - essentially) I too lost about 8 lbs and i've plateaued a bit at 195 after 8 weeks. It doesn't bother me though b/c I'm losing inches consistently and my strength has either stayed the same or gone up over that time. the 8 pounds was all fat. I'm only running somewhere between 1800 and 2000 cals a day. i run alot of protein and fat in the diet. point is, don't worry about the weight. worry about the mirror.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agreed 100%

Being doing this for years. For certain geno and phenotypes, it works pain and simple.

low intensity cardio,

geronimo542

geronimo542

Awards
well ive been cutting for a show and my diet has been 7 meals a day which look like this:

breakfast- 8 egg whites one whole egg and a shake and some oatmeal (6 weeks out i cut the oatmeal and 3 weeks out i cut the shake and now i have 10 egg whites and 1 whole egg

1- 6 oz of chicken breast 20 almonds and a cup of veggies 3 weeks out no veggies

2- scoop and half of whey tbsp of pntbter and cup of veggies 3 weeks out no veggies

3- same as 1

4- same as 2

5- same as 1

6 same as 2

7- either 1 or 2

I carb up once a week every saturday and that consists of a sweet potato and some oatmeal for my last meal of the night and at about 2 weeks out I cut out all shakes and went to just all whole food (the chicken breast) and with this diet I have managed to cut 30 lbs and get pretty shredded up maybe a little extreme but once u get used to it, its not that bad

jon671

jon671

Awards
  • Established
I run a low carb (only carbs from brocolli and some cottege cheese) and i carb up every 18th meal (last meal every third day - essentially) I too lost about 8 lbs and i've plateaued a bit at 195 after 8 weeks. It doesn't bother me though b/c I'm losing inches consistently and my strength has either stayed the same or gone up over that time. the 8 pounds was all fat. I'm only running somewhere between 1800 and 2000 cals a day. i run alot of protein and fat in the diet. point is, don't worry about the weight. worry about the mirror.
It has been over three weeks and I have plateaued at 10 pounds. Gonna cut down on the carb up from a day and a half to a day. Been slacking a bit on the cardio. Feel a bit hypo sometimes. Everything else going well. I haven't measured lately going more off what I see.

jon671

jon671

Awards
  • Established
well ive been cutting for a show and my diet has been 7 meals a day which look like this:

breakfast- 8 egg whites one whole egg and a shake and some oatmeal (6 weeks out i cut the oatmeal and 3 weeks out i cut the shake and now i have 10 egg whites and 1 whole egg

1- 6 oz of chicken breast 20 almonds and a cup of veggies 3 weeks out no veggies

2- scoop and half of whey tbsp of pntbter and cup of veggies 3 weeks out no veggies

3- same as 1

4- same as 2

5- same as 1

6 same as 2

7- either 1 or 2

I carb up once a week every saturday and that consists of a sweet potato and some oatmeal for my last meal of the night and at about 2 weeks out I cut out all shakes and went to just all whole food (the chicken breast) and with this diet I have managed to cut 30 lbs and get pretty shredded up maybe a little extreme but once u get used to it, its not that bad
Macros be nice. I'm to fat to cut like that. 30 lbs. I want to try and get close to that by Christmas.