back is getting sore from military press, what am i doing wrong?

1. Registered User
    Answers

back is getting sore from military press, what am i doing wrong?

i started doing seated DB (military) presses for the first time this week. i try to keep strict form.. ass and lower back pushed against the seat, slight arch in the upper back... [theoretical] bar to my collar bone.

my back [areas highlighted in red] is sore as **** today but my shoulders are not sore at all... its not a good workout soreness, its an annoying inflamed soreness. feels like the inner muscle along teh spine and the back of my ribcage, not my outter lats.

is this normal or is there something wrong with my form?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

question....what weight are you doing and set/reps
  3. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by maurice02 View Post
    question....what weight are you doing and set/reps
    30 lb DB x 12
    35 x 8
    40 x 4
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

I am assuming you are relatively new to lifting or no? I just see you said you started doing DB presses.

I was going to ask if the weight was too heavy and all but it seems not. Are you arching and pushing? It does sound like form to me...hopefully someone else will chime in.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  285 lbs.
    Answers

I am strictly a BAR behind the neck military guy. But this MIGHT help. I pick a spot on the ground straight in front of me about 5 feet away and look at it while doing the press. I find if I raise my head it pulls my chest up and hurts my back.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Imo, your form sounds ok; it just sounds like you have a really bad case of doms. When you say slight arch in your upper back, am I correct assume that you are sticking your chest out? If so you probably are doing a lot a scapular retraction which is activating the middle and lower portion of your traps. When pressing, this is probably putting a lot of tension on the spinal erectors just below this area b/c of the spinal flexion required to stick your chest out. These three areas are doing a lot of supporting work, and this is why they are so sore today. You probably have not trained these areas before but you have done direct shoulder work and that is why they are probably not sore. You could try pre-exhauting your delts with some lateral raises before you do presses. Or maybe try some arnold presses.

This is just my educated guess. Perhaps, someone who knows more about body mechanics and such could confirm this.
  7. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by arjun4 View Post
    slight arch in the upper back..
    Are you using a chair?

If your back goes over the top, which mine does, you have to be wary of pushing too hard backwards the heavier you go. That can hurt my upper back/spine sometimes.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    Imo, your form sounds ok; it just sounds like you have a really bad case of doms. When you say slight arch in your upper back, am I correct assume that you are sticking your chest out? If so you probably are doing a lot a scapular retraction which is activating the middle and lower portion of your traps. When pressing, this is probably putting a lot of tension on the spinal erectors just below this area b/c of the spinal flexion required to stick your chest out. These three areas are doing a lot of supporting work, and this is why they are so sore today. You probably have not trained these areas before but you have done direct shoulder work and that is why they are probably not sore. You could try pre-exhauting your delts with some lateral raises before you do presses. Or maybe try some arnold presses.

This is just my educated guess. Perhaps, someone who knows more about body mechanics and such could confirm this.

Rhyno beat me to it. My guess would be that you need to get your back stronger. What does your back routine look like?
  9. Registered User
    Answers

I am assuming you are relatively new to lifting or no? I just see you said you started doing DB presses.
    ive been lifting about 1.5 years consistently now, so im not new per se.. i've never done any shoulder specific lifting because they always click and creek and give me ****, but for the past 8 months ive been really focusing on heavy compound lifts and its strengthened my shoulders to the point where i can do shoulder specific work now with no issues.

yes, slight arch in the back chest pushed out looking up or forward into the mirror. should i be keeping my upper back arched at all, or should it be totally straight?

that makes sense... good advice. ill give the arnold presses a try.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo4Fun View Post
    Rhyno beat me to it. My guess would be that you need to get your back stronger. What does your back routine look like?

my back routine is consists of t-bar rows, barbell bentover rows, pull ups, barbell & db shrugs, dead lifts, and cable-bar pull downs.

3-4 sets, usually 12/8/6/3, always heavy. always warm up, always strech before & during.
  10. Lift Heavy
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'2"  241 lbs.
    Answers

I am willing to bet that you have a disk in your spine out of place from using improper form on heavy squat/dead/bb row. Anything overhead will compress your spine causing you to feel the disk that is out of place possibly pinching a nerve.

Bet I am right
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  189 lbs.
    Answers

My upper hurts once in a while from standing military presses but not seated ones.
  12. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bLacKjAck. View Post
    I am willing to bet that you have a disk in your spine out of place from using improper form on heavy squat/dead/bb row. Anything overhead will compress your spine causing you to feel the disk that is out of place possibly pinching a nerve.

Bet I am right

i really really try to maintain proper form with any back exercise, as my back gives me problems sometimes. i would appreciate any links/reading you have on form.

i've been seeing a chiro that specializes in sports related injuries for about 10 years now and he's never said anything about my back being out of align. but i will ask him.. thanks.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Answers
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. How is my military press?
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-03-2009, 07:11 PM
  2. Lower back pressure on military press
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-28-2009, 09:39 AM
  3. Smith Machine Military Press...Sore Lats!
    By teribleturtle in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-16-2008, 03:48 PM
  4. How far do you go down on military press?
    By Rugger in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 05-26-2008, 03:33 PM
  5. Military Press
    By koi1214 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-16-2007, 08:30 AM