Need Huge Traps!!!

cantstop19

Awards
hey guys, i need some help with my trap devolpment everything else on my upper body is big except my traps, they need to get bigger, what workouts or lifts help with getting bigger traps

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
hey guys, i need some help with my trap devolpment everything else on my upper body is big except my traps, they need to get bigger, what workouts or lifts help with getting bigger traps
I like narrow grip upright rows (moderate weight), db shruggs (high rep w/straps) and heavy low rep (rack) shruggs w/ straps.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Without a doubt heavy shrugs get it done. I like to alternate between DB Shrugs w/ straps and Smith Machine/Rack BB Shrugs w/ straps. I always went very heavy and my traps grew like weeds. :)

cantstop19

Awards
im familiar with all the others but rack shrugs what are those?

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

cantstop19

Awards
oh alright gotcha, really the only trap excercise i did was snatch grip shrugs, but i needed more to add to my routine, thanks for all the great info guys appreciate it

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
oh alright gotcha, really the only trap excercise i did was snatch grip shrugs, but i needed more to add to my routine, thanks for all the great info guys appreciate it

You can also do them on the smith machine. Go kick them traps azz!

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I had great results with attatching a rope to a low row, then pulling it toward my face.

Adams

LMR

LMR

Awards
This has always been my subject because I have huge traps. I have had guys competeing getting pro cards ask me how the hell i get my traps looking like they do. I love em I have the work out for them perfect.

For the longest time I did the heaviest shrugs I could do thinking that would make them big. I found out through other bodybuilders that it's not the wieght its the technique. I use very light weight and burn my traps out. I make sure I touch my shoulders to my ears technique. Reps up to 20 if not more. I go heavy but I make sure I do no lose the form and dont shrug throwing my back around. Man I get the most incredible pump in my traps.

Dont do heavy that you cant do it right. It's one of the hardest muscle to isolate correctly. Watch your form use lighter weight and bam they'll come out. Burn em out with perfect form. Save the heavy lifting for the big muscles.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Deadlifts and upright rows; but with proper technique like LMR said.

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
This has always been my subject because I have huge traps. I have had guys competeing getting pro cards ask me how the hell i get my traps looking like they do. I love em I have the work out for them perfect.

For the longest time I did the heaviest shrugs I could do thinking that would make them big. I found out through other bodybuilders that it's not the wieght its the technique. I use very light weight and burn my traps out. I make sure I touch my shoulders to my ears technique. Reps up to 20 if not more. I go heavy but I make sure I do no lose the form and dont shrug throwing my back around. Man I get the most incredible pump in my traps.

Dont do heavy that you cant do it right. It's one of the hardest muscle to isolate correctly. Watch your form use lighter weight and bam they'll come out. Burn em out with perfect form. Save the heavy lifting for the big muscles.
How many sets do you do? And how many times a week do you work out your traps?

LMR

LMR

Awards
Wow! first I have to say Im mighty impressed with your avatar... :jaw:

I train maybe 3-4 sets once or twice a week.
How many sets do you do? And how many times a week do you work out your traps?

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Deadlifts are amongst the best lifts for building more strength and size in the trapezius. That and cleans are the only things I do for traps.

i agree. A good variation for for upper back/traps is to do high rep rack deads with a high pin, around mid thigh. You are going to need some heavy weights and you should do them for high reps. Your traps will be sore a third of the way down your back the next day.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i agree. A good variation for for upper back/traps is to do high rep rack deads with a high pin, around mid thigh. You are going to need some heavy weights and you should do them for high reps. Your traps will be sore a third of the way down your back the next day.
The best, or worst depending on your perspective, soreness I have ever gotten in my traps was from doing 5x5 on deads and cleans. Brutal and awesome for both strength and size.

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
grab two heavy ass bumbells, then shrug and say "I DONO", then repeat about 40 times.. works for me

then flip them around like ur holding a bar behind ur butt, then continue..... dont forget to say "I DONO" cuz if u dont, it doesent work

The Batman

The Batman

Awards
Deadlifts are amongst the best lifts for building more strength and size in the trapezius. That and cleans are the only things I do for traps.
+1 find me a guy who can dead hang power clean big weights and I will show you a guy with huge, well-developed lats.

Deads and power cleans are the only 2 movements I do for my lats and they are one of my best devloped muscle groups.

Esp heavy power cleans in the 5-7 rep range, they make the lats grow like crazy.

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Wow! first I have to say Im mighty impressed with your avatar... :jaw:

I train maybe 3-4 sets once or twice a week.
That what i usually do but I'm going to do what you said and do higher reps. My traps are decent but I don't mind getting them bigger. I've seen your traps and what you do must work.

LSU Gladiator

LSU Gladiator

Awards
grab two heavy ass bumbells, then shrug and say "I DONO", then repeat about 40 times.. works for me

then flip them around like ur holding a bar behind ur butt, then continue..... dont forget to say "I DONO" cuz if u dont, it doesent work
HAHA!

You can also try BEATSMEE, just to shock em every now and then...

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
+1 find me a guy who can dead hang power clean big weights and I will show you a guy with huge, well-developed lats.

Deads and power cleans are the only 2 movements I do for my lats and they are one of my best devloped muscle groups.

Esp heavy power cleans in the 5-7 rep range, they make the lats grow like crazy.
He sez "traps", you say "lats" - ???

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established

For the longest time I did the heaviest shrugs I could do thinking that would make them big. I found out through other bodybuilders that it's not the wieght its the technique.
Your approach to traps seems strangely similar to my approach to calves - your results sound similar, too.

Cordeen

Awards
  • Established
Traps are like calves...you're either born with a good sized set and the potential for easy growth or not!

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
if u guys know what t-nation is, you should look up the fatman calves article.... i didnt read, but its there...

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
No one has mentioned Kelso Shrugs?

They seem to work more for my back. Good exercise for bench stability, never got the most out of them as i would have to roll all the 100's over to the Chest supported row to put enough weight on the machine. You need a ton of weight comparatively to your other lifts.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I agree with the deads/ rack deads..

His traps look like they are going to explode..lol Especially on that last set.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j1-Jv2_HCI"]YouTube - Johnnie Jackson Deadlift[/ame]

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
They seem to work more for my back. Good exercise for bench stability, never got the most out of them as i would have to roll all the 100's over to the Chest supported row to put enough weight on the machine. You need a ton of weight comparatively to your other lifts.
I have found the most effective way to do them is to superset them after standing barbell rows. This way I don't have to work with an enormous amount of weight which could stress my lower back. I think this is the way Mark Kelso suggests in his book.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
I have found the most effective way to do them is to superset them after standing barbell rows. This way I don't have to work with an enormous amount of weight which could stress my lower back. I think this is the way Mark Kelso suggests in his book.

I dont do standing barbell rows but do you do them free weight? Or do you use the chest supported row.

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
I do free weight, but if you don't do free weight you could still superset the kelso shrugs the same way on a chest supported row. This is what I'm doing today because my lower back is still sore from deadlifts. Just remember to squeeze and hold at the top of the movement. The first time I did these the next day I felt muscles in my back I never knew I had.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I do a variety of exercises but without a doubt shrugs are one of the best. Where most go wrong though is by loading the bar with ridiculous amounts of weight and then using their whole body to get the shrug. This is meathead mentality that will get you nowhere quick. Only use a weight that you can get a full rep and squeeze at the top without body movement.

gibsonj4

gibsonj4

Awards
  • Established
Bar shrugs and deads. You can try some behind the head lat pulldowns too. hell, lateral raises help too.

walugi

walugi

Awards
Are shrugs holding plates instead of dumbells okay? My hips always seem to get in the way when I do shrugs though :(

Also, I'm curious as to what kind of functional improvement your trapezius gives in terms of sport and stuff? OR does it is it just cool.

alan1973

Awards

I get great gains by super setting traps and trying my hardest to use the FULL range of motion. In thirty days of working my traps again (after taking a long time off to reattach my bicep) my traps are coming on quickly...but I have to use straps after a couple of sets so that I burn out my traps before my hands lose grip.