Inner Sweep

Newlife4me

Newlife4me

Axis Labs Rep
Awards
Anyone have some good suggestions on how to build the inner sweep of the quad? Seems that the outer is growing and coming in nicely, but the inner is lacking.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
you talking about the "tear-drop"?

Toes pointing out on leg extensions.
Smith squats, toes out, fairly wide stance.
Thats all i can think of.
Lunges will hit it more toward the knee.

Newlife4me

Newlife4me

Axis Labs Rep
Awards
Hack squats with your toes pointed out.

This workd best for me. I have a real nice sweep :) My outer is weak....perhaps we can trade secrets?!?!?!
Definetly, the inner just seems to be lacking and I can't get any separation. Thanks for all the hints, gonna keep playing with foot position and try and find something to seems to target it the most.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
anything toes in is outer area, toes out is inner thigh.

I am kind of the same. My outter is pretty thick but my inner lacks some. I think most of the fat in the legs though tend to go to the inner, in my case at least.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think a wider stance brings the inner into play more.Mine get sore sometimes from sq's and stiffleg deads.I'm pretty sure it comes from the sq's though.I don't use a real wide stance,but i have heard the hams work harder with a wider stance,which is what the inner thighs are.

Newlife4me

Newlife4me

Axis Labs Rep
Awards
It's definetly going to be a trial and error type of things, I've read a ton about the toes in/out ect. but for me it's just not hitting it the way I want.

Going to play with things some and see what kind of results i can get.

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
I agree alot with the toes stuff, but it also has to do with your stance, and how much you sit back in the squat. The more you sit back the more your posture chain gets worked. If you tend to sit more down, and let your knees come forward your doing more of an Olympic oriented squat. I think it has to do all with what style you squat. I would say if you want them to grow do front squats, you have to keep your back perpendicular to the grown, or the bar will role of your shoulders. If you keep your back perpendicular, then you have to let your knees come forward to hit parallel. So I say tweak your form, and your quads will grow. MArk

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
you talking about the "tear-drop"?

Toes pointing out on leg extensions.
Smith squats, toes out, fairly wide stance.
Thats all i can think of.
Lunges will hit it more toward the knee.
e

I have always found lunges to mostly make my glutes really sore the next day. Do you have a secrets to make them work the quad better?

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
I make sure my back foot goes onto the "balls" of my feet and toes bent. As if you were on your toes tryin to reach something high. I make sure i step out a good distance so that back leg is really extending, that way when you go to pull back up your digging in with that back foot a bit to help out.
Front leg slightly more bent than 90* and leave the foot flat until the last possible second.

I agree though, they do hit my glutes well.

I love front squats, but ever since i started lunges the outer side quad for me has really started to get outlined.

EDIT = When i say more toward the knee, i mean the very round part right above the knee. and the outer section where the muscle really thins out going behind the knee into the tendon area.

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
I make sure my back foot goes onto the "balls" of my feet and toes bent. As if you were on your toes tryin to reach something high. I make sure i step out a good distance so that back leg is really extending, that way when you go to pull back up your digging in with that back foot a bit to help out.
Front leg slightly more bent than 90* and leave the foot flat until the last possible second.

I agree though, they do hit my glutes well.

I love front squats, but ever since i started lunges the outer side quad for me has really started to get outlined.

EDIT = When i say more toward the knee, i mean the very round part right above the knee. and the outer section where the muscle really thins out going behind the knee into the tendon area.

Cool. Thanks bro. Mark

Newlife4me

Newlife4me

Axis Labs Rep
Awards
Lots of good info coming in from this gents, I greatly appreciate it. Going to try a variety of things this week and see if I can target it more with some of the suggestions.