Question about Routines and Rest

kck

Awards
I'm curious to know how other people around my age (32) schedule their workouts. I just got back into lifting in JAN 08 and usually workout a muscle group (Chest, Back, Arms, Legs/Abs) once a week with light cardio every day. I take one day off once I have finished the series and then jump back into my routine.

Specifically, is there any research/science out there that clearly states the optimal frequency for muscle growth? Also, is there any research/science in regards to order of muscle groups? Or is there anything about resting.

Thanks.

glipp

glipp

Awards
If you are looking for an approach based around science HST lays it out fairly well in terms of explaining the science behind their approach. It is focused on muscle hypertrophy first and foremost (strength comes second) and you schedule your workouts as well as rest times before you even begin your first workout. They discuss their view of optimal workout frequency as well as rest time. Check it out The official website is at Hypertrophy-Specific Training : : Official Home of HST. Lots of info there.

Last edited:

kck

Awards
Great Link. Thanks for the heads up.

I just read the summary and it certainly challenged what I thought was conventional wisdom. If I read the summary correctly, It says I could actually up my weekly frequency. That may require I combine groups, but Im gonna give it shot. I'll read this in greater detail tomorrow so I fully understand the science.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, honestly man there isn't much science out there on this sort of thing. Scientists flock to where the money is and unfortunately there isn't much money on optimal ways to train for hypertrophy. There are always two camps on any particular subject and the largest camp does believe in overtraining. Overtraining theoretically occurs in the central nervous system in response to lifting for long periods of time with inadequate rest between sessions. Whether you believe overtraining exists or not you can't ignore the fact that you grow out of the gym and you 'stimulate' that growth in the gym. I feel it is wise to get at least two days per week of rest in for optimal growth, especially if you are lifting anywhere near failure or heavy.

glipp

glipp

Awards
Great Link. Thanks for the heads up.

I just read the summary and it certainly challenged what I thought was conventional wisdom. If I read the summary correctly, It says I could actually up my weekly frequency. That may require I combine groups, but Im gonna give it shot. I'll read this in greater detail tomorrow so I fully understand the science.
Glad you liked the link. You may be able to up the frequency with which you hit certain muscle groups as you tend to hit eachgroup 3x per week. You will most likely do fewer sets per muscle group however, so that may take some getting used to. People have divided views on this but they do have science to back up their training program. Hope you enjoy it. I am planning to use this myself as my next routine.