Muscle pain and working out

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
<P class=byline>A little interesting reading bro's. WW7
<P class=byline>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<P class=byline>Muscle pain and working out

<P class=byline>By Dr. Phil Maffetone

For many athletes, pain is the all-too-familiar result of a tough training session or competition, with the degree of discomfort being positively associated with the intensity or duration of the activity.

<P class=text>Diminished performance due to other factors, most often muscle dysfunction, often accompanies this discomfort and pain, and may linger after the pain goes away.

<P class=text>Generally, there are three types of non-injury-related discomfort and pain related to exercise:
[*]<SPAN class=text>Pain experienced during or immediately after workouts.</SPAN>
[*]<SPAN class=text>Delayed-onset muscle soreness (DOMS).</SPAN>
[*]<SPAN class=text>Pain induced by muscle cramps.</SPAN>

<P class=text>Pain experienced during or immediately after a workout usually has a chemical origin, perhaps including a hormonal component. Lactic acid is produced during more-intense efforts, and though it does not cause pain directly, it may be responsible for pH changes or production of a chemical called bradykinin that may be associated with pain. Circulatory factors, specifically the occlusion of blood flow, may also be linked to this type of muscle pain. If this is the case, the pain will subside quickly once activity is stopped.

<P class=text>Delayed-onset muscle soreness usually develops within 24 to 48 hours after activity, with a peak in discomfort between 48 and 72 hours (and only occasionally longer). This pain is associated with structural stress, that is, damage to the muscle. Muscle dysfunction (inhibition and over-stretched muscles) and diminished range of motion accompany discomfort and pain. However, as mentioned previously, muscle dysfunction may continue after pain has resolved. A common cause of DOMS may be localized at the point of muscle attachment. Chemical stress may also be associated with DOMS, with the most common problems being inflammation and free-radical damage.

<P class=text>Muscle cramps may occur any time as a sudden onset of pain and are not as common as the two previously discussed problems. The cause of muscle cramps is still unknown, and the problem appears to be somewhat individual. Cramping during activity may be associated with electrolyte imbalance, although empirical evidence offers more support than scientific studies for this explanation.

<P class=text>Clinically the three most successful responses to treatment are seen after correction of structural imbalances (within the muscle and other primary areas of mechanical problems, especially in the foot, ankle or pelvis), proper hydration, and the use of sodium. Stretching is not a remedy for muscle pain and has actually been shown to worsen the problem.

khafra

Awards
Informative and useful, thanks!  Additional question--if free radical damage causes a significant amount of DOMS, then free radical neutralizing micronutrients would be a good thing.  But vitamin E, at least, diminishes the effectiveness of prohormones.  What are some good antioxidants that won't mess with your anabolic activity?

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Informative and useful, thanks!  Additional question--if free radical damage causes a significant amount of DOMS, then free radical neutralizing micronutrients would be a good thing.  But vitamin E, at least, diminishes the effectiveness of prohormones.  What are some good antioxidants that won't mess with your anabolic activity?
Well I dont think anyone has proven vitamin E to diminish any gains on PHs, merely speculation. But ALA is a great anti-oxidant.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards

Costly, though. :(
I wont deny that.....some sites have a fairly reasonable price on it. Between a nice diet, rich in veggies and maybe some liver tabs, or a multi, your body is getting quite a large supply of anti-oxidants.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by YellowJacket

I wont deny that.....some sites have a fairly reasonable price on it. Between a nice diet, rich in veggies and maybe some liver tabs, or a multi, your body is getting quite a large supply of anti-oxidants.
Agreed! We get quite a bit of anti-ox's already!

DarCSA

Awards
I have had DOMS recently in my elbows from a recent back workout luckily the pain goes away. It wasn't anything that I couldn't handle but I overcome and stretch and it seems better for a short time. I do like this post jake. Thanks bud.