Am I over training?

powerhouse21

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys id like you to take a look at my workout split/routine. Is this too much?

Mon-chest/delts
Tues-cardio
Wed-Back/bi/tri
Thur-cardio
Fri-light chest and shoulders
Sat-cardio/off day
Sun-cardio/off day (if i feel like going or not)

as far as the sets and reps

mon- flat bench- 3-4 sets 5-8 reps
db flyes 3 sets
pec dec machine 3 sets
decline bench 3-4 sets
flat db press
dips 3 sets
front and side db raises 3 sets of each

wed- back, bi's, tri's
4 sets standing ez curl
3 sets standing db curl
3 sets lat pulldown
3 sets T-bar rows
3 sets reverse ez bar curl(forearm)
3 sets shrugs

Fri basically same lifts just with lighter weight

Sat- i like to do biceps a little on sat also as im i feel they are lagging in comparison to my tri's/shoulders.

it seems like a lot of sets to do but up until now i have been making ok gains. Im open for opinions though so throw em out there!

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
No legs???
You should be able to feel you're overtraining, then when you do, lower the set total down some.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The barage of things I'm about to say is a lot like Nyquil: It might be tough to swallow, but you'll feel a lot better once you did. Here goes:

1) No Legs day?
2) You're overtraining your chest and shoulders if you're training high volume twice per week.
3) Friday is a "lighter day"? Sorry, but if I know I'm gonna half-ass it at the gym that day, I simply don't go.
4) You're doing 10 sets of biceps exercises, and 6 sets of back exercises (which also stimulate the biceps), and then you feel the need to train biceps Saturday morning? You're doing more to your biceps than I do when I'm on a steroids cycle.
5) There are two exercises which I feel must be in every bodybuilding routine (in some form or another): Deadlifts and Squats. You're getup is lacking both of these.
6) Lateral raises a la carte WILL NOT give you the shoulders you want. I strongly suggest some more compound motions such as some form of shoulder press and upright rows (practicing proper form).
7) You don't have any triceps exercises listed on Back/bi's/tri's day.
8) IMO you use too many isolation moves, and not enough compound exercises.

With all this being said, I would recommend changing you're split to something like this: M=Chest/Tri's , W=Back/Bi's, F=Legs/Delts. Here's an example of some sh*t you can do. Try starting out a this lower volume, and if you feel you can increase volume, have at it.

Monday:
Incline bench (dumbbells or barbell): 3 sets
Weighted dips or Decline Bench: 3 sets
Flyes or Pec Deck: 3 sets
Triceps Cable Pushdown (with elbows flared): 3 sets
Skull Crushers: 3 sets

Wednesday:
Deadlift: 3 sets
T-Bar Row or barbell row: 3 sets
Lat-Pulldown: 3 sets
Barbell Curls: 3 sets
Seated Hammer Curls: 3 sets

Friday:
Squats: 3 sets
Stiff-legged Deadlift: 3 sets
Lunges: 3 sets
Shoulder Press: 3 sets
Upright Row: 3 sets
Side Laterals: 3 sets

powerhouse21

Awards
  • Established
The barage of things I'm about to say is a lot like Nyquil: It might be tough to swallow, but you'll feel a lot better once you did. Here goes:

1) No Legs day?
2) You're overtraining your chest and shoulders if you're training high volume twice per week.
3) Friday is a "lighter day"? Sorry, but if I know I'm gonna half-ass it at the gym that day, I simply don't go.
4) You're doing 10 sets of biceps exercises, and 6 sets of back exercises (which also stimulate the biceps), and then you feel the need to train biceps Saturday morning? You're doing more to your biceps than I do when I'm on a steroids cycle.
5) There are two exercises which I feel must be in every bodybuilding routine (in some form or another): Deadlifts and Squats. You're getup is lacking both of these.
6) Lateral raises a la carte WILL NOT give you the shoulders you want. I strongly suggest some more compound motions such as some form of shoulder press and upright rows (practicing proper form).
7) You don't have any triceps exercises listed on Back/bi's/tri's day.
8) IMO you use too many isolation moves, and not enough compound exercises.

With all this being said, I would recommend changing you're split to something like this: M=Chest/Tri's , W=Back/Bi's, F=Legs/Delts. Here's an example of some sh*t you can do. Try starting out a this lower volume, and if you feel you can increase volume, have at it.

Monday:
Incline bench (dumbbells or barbell): 3 sets
Weighted dips or Decline Bench: 3 sets
Flyes or Pec Deck: 3 sets
Triceps Cable Pushdown (with elbows flared): 3 sets
Skull Crushers: 3 sets

Wednesday:
Deadlift: 3 sets
T-Bar Row or barbell row: 3 sets
Lat-Pulldown: 3 sets
Barbell Curls: 3 sets
Seated Hammer Curls: 3 sets

Friday:
Squats: 3 sets
Stiff-legged Deadlift: 3 sets
Lunges: 3 sets
Shoulder Press: 3 sets
Upright Row: 3 sets
Side Laterals: 3 sets
i normally do squats on monday's but the past couple of weeks ive been lazy and just havent done them. I did deadlifts all through hs and got pretty good at it (425) but still hated doing them so i quit once i got out. Im sorry for the lack of info, i did this this morning in a rush so i left out some exercises..(military press, squat...) but i see it is still too much training. Im going to switch it up and take out about half of what i do each day and see where that takes me. And when you do deads do you use a straight bar or the a hex-bar. Ive used both, just curious which you prefer.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've never used the hex bar.

If you deadlifts on back days, I would recommend the straight bar, as the hex bar will work more of your legs.

powerhouse21

Awards
  • Established
just an update here. Since my last post ive been knocked down the bicep workouts to 3 exercises as well as for the chest. I was actually stronger today than i have been, i think because of 2 things. 1. im not overtraining like i was before (common sense) and 2. I took yesterday off which i normally dont do.

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've never used the hex bar.

If you deadlifts on back days, I would recommend the straight bar, as the hex bar will work more of your legs.
yup.

there is nothing like deads with the straight bar!

if i could pick three exercises to do.. it would be deads, pushups, and sprints.

bro.. you need to do legs! believe it or not, thats where your power comes from!

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
just an update here. Since my last post ive been knocked down the bicep workouts to 3 exercises as well as for the chest. I was actually stronger today than i have been, i think because of 2 things. 1. im not overtraining like i was before (common sense) and 2. I took yesterday off which i normally dont do.
uhhh.. yu gonna put a leg day in your routine or do i have to go to your gym and make you do some squats, lunges, sprints, and legpress dropsets!!!!:aargh:

:thumbsup:

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
uhhh.. yu gonna put a leg day in your routine or do i have to go to your gym and make you do some squats, lunges, sprints, and legpress dropsets!!!!:aargh:

:thumbsup:
o dang....................i'm hurting imagining all that :)

powerhouse21

Awards
  • Established
yeah i did squats today. 135 warmup x10, 225x8 276x6 315x4...not bad considering i havent done them for a while. Like i said when i was in hs i did squats, deads and cleans every week and my total body strength was higher than now so im looking forward to getting back into it.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
Squats... insanely important. Don't guess on formwork... look it up.. unless you want a hurniated disc. As all the big boys say- what seperates the men from the boys is the squat cage.

Git'r'dun