An Ecto Who Needs Some Assurance

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As the title suggests, I am an ecto and I need some feedback on some research I have been doing. I wold like to bulk and stay natty as long as possible (I'm 163ish @ 5'8 12-13% BF--three yrs ago was 135 @ same height).

Quite some time ago I concluded that I need to give a go at heavier weights and lower reps (4-6) for a while. The only problem with this is that I don't feel like I'm doing quite as much work during the exercise and I always end up going back to a lower weight and doing more reps.

Basically I'm just looking for some feedback saying:
A) Listen to your body and do the extra sets/reps on top of the heavy lifting if you feel the need
B) Drop the lighter weights you girly man & go all in heavy
C) (insert sarcastic flame here):hammer:

Last edited:

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The thing is, it's not about what's in your head. It is about your body, and what your body is trying to tell you. I used to have 2 hour workouts and sweat my ass off with high reps light weight. I thought I was doing good but I was only burning fat and muscle. Your body loves high intensity, heavy weight, low duration workouts. YOur muscles crave that type of activity to grow, leave whatever is in your head at the door. It will take some while but this is the way to go if you want to bulk.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks Rage.

Not to be a simpleton, but since you are the only response so far could you help me a little more? I have always done 3-4 sets (not counting warm up) of 8-12 reps per exercise. How would these numbers change if I were to work out as you prescribed?
4-8 reps and 3-4 sets per exercise depending on the muscle(s) being worked that day?

Beebs

Awards
When you lower your reps, you may not feel like you are getting a good workout since you're probably in pretty good condition doing higher reps, but I would expect that you would gain a lot of strength and with it, mass. You might want to try and do a little of both, by doing an increasing load rep scheme (10/8/6/4).

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
4-8 reps is a pretty good range for gaining strength. Check out this thread for all of the common training styles. http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/12819-updated-common-training-styles.html It should help you out in your quest for a program suited for your body type. Also, the sets scheme depends on the exercise, the size of muscle being worked, how much direct and indirect work it is doing throughout your workout, and also how much it is being worked from other workouts during the week. For example, if you are working out 3 times a week, doing full body work outs, and all 3 work outs include a benching exercise for chest, it would be wise to only do 2-3 sets of triceps because they are being worked through bench pressing 3 times in one week. I hope this makes sense and helps.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try switching to a TUT style of lifting with your current regimen. Also, make the majority of your lifts compound and focus on the basics. If you would like, then go heavy(4-6 reps) on your main lift(i.e. Bench, Squat, Deads) and go TUT on the remaining lifts.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Rock on guys. There's a lot info here to digest and take into consideration. I'm looking through the stuff from Auto, I have tried what Beebs suggested and that's how I have been working out for quite some time now. PVSky...holy crap. All that info could make an encyclopedia.

I'm going to try Rage/Rodja's method-ALL HEAVY. I have never really trained this way as I was lead to believe that it leads more to strength than size.

auto_mail8939

Awards
Rock on guys. There's a lot info here to digest and take into consideration. I'm looking through the stuff from Auto, I have tried what Beebs suggested and that's how I have been working out for quite some time now. PVSky...holy crap. All that info could make an encyclopedia.

I'm going to try Rage/Rodja's method-ALL HEAVY. I have never really trained this way as I was lead to believe that it leads more to strength than size.
Last year I learned in human biology that skeletal muscle grows when put under a load of 75% its maximum weight-bearing capability. In other words, if your one rep max at bench is 100lbs then your chest will grow as long as you are benching more than 75lbs. Obviously there are many more factors, but it's something to keep in mind for those wanting to gain size.

See? State university gen ed's aren't completely useless!

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established

Just make sure to give youself enough days off to rest and to not do too much in a work out. keep the intensity and weight high but the reps and sets low. The CNS is touchy.