Best way to prevent injuries while using AAS?

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
This seems more appropriate here than in the Anabolics section..was wondering about ways to protect from injury while you are using steroids? I understand your muscles grow faster than your tendons can keep up. I have not seen much more said about it except to keep good form on the exercises. This really worries me more than the other side effects.

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
I can't speak from experience, but I'll throw 2 cents in the pile.

I'd think you should approach your training and strength gains with respect and caution. Just because you can add 50 pounds to a lift and move it for 10 more reps, doesn't mean you should. wait for a more experienced opinion but I'm wondering if you need to wait for the tendons to strenghten.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Fly is essentially right. One has to be cautious as sometimes you can really shoot up in strength and it's very tempting to tempt fate and see what you can do. This isn't always bad, but it needs to approached as cautiously as possible to avoid injury.

If you are really concerned with this, go for a TUT training style using less weight and slow 5 second negatives. You WILL feel the burn and even though it is not as fun as slinging iron of heavier weight, it is more effective for hypertrophy than any other training style. You just have to dedicate yourself to it and do it, because I can tell you, you will be slightly humiliated with this training style. lol. Even at half of your normal rep weight you will be sweating bullets.

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
Sorry Bio but what is a TUT Training style? I understand the slow negative, but was wonder about the acronyn for futher searches.

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
Sorry Bio but what is a TUT Training style? I understand the slow negative, but was wonder about the acronyn for futher searches.
Time Under Tension. Usually you focus on the negative of the lift. Its usually 4-5 seconds on the negative, 1 second pause, then 2 seconds on the way back.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bio is right, you look like a little girl doing the reps..Until you take your shirt off and you have one of the best pumps you have had in a long time..With a TUT routine it is hard to guage at first where your strength is at, because of the lessened weight..But you gain strength within the program, so you can kind of go off that reference point...For example, I sweat balls doing 30lb hammer curls

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
In time, you'll turn heads with TUT. I love doing preacher curls in that fashion. Been doing it for ages, and found I've drawn a lot of positive attention in recent years.

Another good safety protocol while on cycle is just don't max out.

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
Tried it with legs last night, God it is wild. I think I found a new reason to love the leg press! thumbsup:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah it's great for anything like that, I only do regular TUT on Deads, Squats and sometimes SLDL's

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
It is a serious test of will power to try it with squats. With only 155 pounds I was dying!!! Really easy to over train though.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, with this program I have noticed that taking scheduled breaks isn't really the option it was before, you get great gains, but your body lets you know for sure.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know this is getting a little off subject, but here's a really awesome TUT variation you might like to try with squats:

1)When you hit the parallel point, stop and hold it for a second.
2) Continue your painfully slow descent, until you have gone all the way down.
3)Ascend back up, making a second stop and hold at the parallel point.

You wouldn't believe 135 could be this hard to squat.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would do that, except that extended pause at the parallel would 100% ravage my knee, which is already in a brutal condition

KellysGymCarver

Awards
I am going too try the TUT method when I get back to the gym. Thanks guys!

I was doing really great on a Pheraplex cycle, and my muscles shot way ahead of the tendons. I have tendinitis in my right elbow bigtime. I haven't lifted bi's and tri's since then. I'm doing pec dec for chest, and side laterals for shoulders.

It's getting better by the day, but it is a very slow recovery process. Plus, I'm 45 years old and I guess I really should have taken it slower.

I just got an order in for a Test-E stand alone cycle, and now I have to wait this thing out. It's very frustrating.

Does anyone know how I can speed up my recovery a bit? I cannot straighten my arm out all the way yet! It's getting closer, but that and supination of the wrist causes pain.
Thanks in advance, Brian

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Cissus Rx and Celadrin will speed up healing and relieve some of the pain in the meantime.

SuperChicken1

Awards
Add Equipose to your stack... increases connective tissue strength along with slow and stead muscle growth.

SC1

KellysGymCarver

Awards
Cissus Rx and Celadrin will speed up healing and relieve some of the pain in the meantime.
Thank you bioman. I've heard nothing but good things about Cissus. As soon as I get it, I will ask about what dosages most people use.

Add Equipose to your stack... increases connective tissue strength along with slow and stead muscle growth.

SC1
Thanks to you too SC1.....I will look into it.