Tris Are Giving out on Pressing Movements

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
It's driving me nuts that whenever I do a shoulder or chest press my tris always fail before the target muscle. I have taken some extra rest recently, and that doesn't seem to help. I know there are different theories on how to remedy this. Any suggestions are welcome.

Also, a very experienced lifter at my gym hits his tris in a way I've never seen. Instead of close grip bench, and all the accompanying wrist/elbow issues that can come with it, he does a very wide reversed grip, ie palms facing head not feet. He says that rotating your arms like this completely deactivates that pecs. If you rotate your hand like this you will feel that your chest does relax. I'm thinking about throwing this move in the mix.

magic8ball

Awards
I would suggest isolation movements for your shoulders and chest. The reverse grip tricep press is a great movement for reducing elbow and wrist problems. It definately blasts the inner head.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
I think it also brings the brachialis/bicep brachii into play. it does not take the pecs out of the movement but lessens the reliance of them.

If you are having issues with the top half of your presses(usually where the triceps are worked the most) I suggest you focus on the bottom half thru use of partial reps. If I am not mistaken you have experience with TUT routines so your ego won't get involved when you are not putting up monstrous weight but using lower weights in a more precise method.

I have seen good results with my Arnold Presses with bent elbow as illustrated in his book. It takes most of the burden off the tris and places it where it should be. Also with chest presses, my drop sets are typically bottom half movements very slow with long deep stretches at bottom. JMO

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Have you tried to pre-exhaust your chest or shoulders with isolation movements before your compounds?

I like the reverse grip tricep press. I like to do it so my hands are lined up with my shoulders though, this way my hand and elbows only rotate straight up and down (laterally?). Only problem with this movement is that it's very hard to unrack the bar because it's such an odd position, I always need a spot just to unrack the bar.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Only problem with this movement is that it's very hard to unrack the bar because it's such an odd position, I always need a spot just to unrack the bar.
I have used the Smith machine when doing these, solves the problem.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Great advice guys. My plan for the coming weeks is to incorporate
-bottom half partials
-pre-exhaust chest
-add reverse grip tri press

I'll update in a month or so to say if this helps.

acudave

Awards
Beowulf,
Floor presses with a narrow grip. This will also help your bench. Smith machine takes away balance, so I only use it for dynamic effort benches (throw it out of your hands). Vary the grip on pushdowns. Palms up, palms facing and palms down. You can do some specialization also.