2 Torn Hamstrings

  1. 2 Torn Hamstrings


    Looking for some feedback.

    So I tore both my hamstrings about 4 yrs ago during a Deck Hockey game. Tore one, went back out and tore the other...yes dumb ass.

    Both behind my knees were a beautiful shade of black/ blue, purple etc. I let them heal on their own which probably wasn't smart.

    Fast forward now I can walk briskly/jog but if I take off on a full blown, it is seconds before I have intense pain. Anyone experience this? Anything you recommend to overcome this? I used to consider myself fast for a guy in his 40's but if I try and run, I look and feel like I am in my 70's.....

    I read one suggestion to do Nordic Hamstring curls......
    Muscle Research Code AM10 www.mrsupps.com
    Nutrex Nutrition Rep


  2. I also tore a hammy playing deck hockey a few years back... two though sounds unreal. I was painfully methodical in rehabbing mine (all self-prescribed, like you) and really researched everything for stretching, motion paths, exercises, etc and worked through it all, often for an hour or two a day.

    Even with all of that, it was 2+mo before I was able to even walk without a limp, another month before a light jog and almost 6 before running was an option. I honestly dont know how you would do much of what I did though with both hammys down as I had to rely heavily on one leg to even bend over or put on pants/shoes/socks.

    The biggest thing I found that helped get me from "functional" back to "athletic", were machine exercises like lying ham curls. These give you ultimate control in terms of weight, range of motion, and support. RDLs and SLDLs also become staples along with a lot of stretching. I have recently also found that foam rolling out my back helps a lot to loosen up the overall tightness I still have. Every massage I ever had after they tell me how jacked up and tight my hams, glutes, and low back are so massage does help in that regard a bit too (but you really have to grit your teeth and let them DIG in there to loosen up that scar tissue... not enjoyable, but does change how you feel a few days later).
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Product Rep - db77 @ seriousnutritionsolutions.com
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by booneman77 View Post
    I also tore a hammy playing deck hockey a few years back... two though sounds unreal. I was painfully methodical in rehabbing mine (all self-prescribed, like you) and really researched everything for stretching, motion paths, exercises, etc and worked through it all, often for an hour or two a day.

    Even with all of that, it was 2+mo before I was able to even walk without a limp, another month before a light jog and almost 6 before running was an option. I honestly dont know how you would do much of what I did though with both hammys down as I had to rely heavily on one leg to even bend over or put on pants/shoes/socks.

    The biggest thing I found that helped get me from "functional" back to "athletic", were machine exercises like lying ham curls. These give you ultimate control in terms of weight, range of motion, and support. RDLs and SLDLs also become staples along with a lot of stretching. I have recently also found that foam rolling out my back helps a lot to loosen up the overall tightness I still have. Every massage I ever had after they tell me how jacked up and tight my hams, glutes, and low back are so massage does help in that regard a bit too (but you really have to grit your teeth and let them DIG in there to loosen up that scar tissue... not enjoyable, but does change how you feel a few days later).
    Thanks for chiming in. Guess I need to stretch more and also hit Hammys a little harder
    Muscle Research Code AM10 www.mrsupps.com
    Nutrex Nutrition Rep

  4. Quote Originally Posted by double s View Post
    Thanks for chiming in. Guess I need to stretch more and also hit Hammys a little harder
    Definitely, everything Boone said. You need to regain as much flexibility and strength as you can.

    Also, doing a bit of rolling/tissue work on connected areas prior to heavily using your hams will keep you safer, as is making sure you’re very hydrated.

    Standing on a lacrosse ball and working the bottom tissue of my feet for about a min each will give me almost 3/4” more range of motion in my hammies. Rolling calves, IT bands, piriformis all help unlock the posterior further quickly. Taking 5-10 minutes to get looser and warmer goes a long way towards giving you the mobility you need to push harder safely.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  5. Light band hamstring curls by the ton plus squats. After a few weeks...start doing reverse hams. A a few weeks...start skating etc. Hams are super resiņiant with tons of fiber.
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by bigsmall View Post
    Light band hamstring curls by the ton plus squats. After a few weeks...start doing reverse hams. A a few weeks...start skating etc. Hams are super resiņiant with tons of fiber.
    Thank you........
    Muscle Research Code AM10 www.mrsupps.com
    Nutrex Nutrition Rep
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Does Anyone NOT Directly Train Their Hamstrings?
    By ShadowOne in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-17-2005, 07:55 PM
  2. Cardio with partially torn achilles need help please
    By jcam222 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-15-2005, 07:03 PM
  3. Torn meniscus(knee surgery)
    By Manwhore in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-24-2004, 07:27 PM
  4. Levrone torn tricep
    By JBlaze in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-18-2003, 04:44 AM
  5. Need some help with tight hamstrings
    By Matthew D in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-31-2002, 08:21 AM
Log in
Log in