New School Thought on Bicep Growth

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Hitting the heads from all angles on the movement are key to the peak and girth of the biceps. How you use your wrist in the process of pulling and releasing the weight while holding contraction, as well how you supinate / pronate the angle of your wrist changes things. It's not using the heaviest weight, but progressively. Hitting the heads on your quads while seated by supinating or pronating your feet.

I would compare it to one's chest. Pyramids, reverse pyramids.
    Muscle confusion applies to all of them.

Also, hitting some peak work with the high crossover cables with light weights and higher reps while concentrating on movement. You don't have to execute high sets to build the bicep. The triceps are a bit more resilient and can take more sets and weight to build.

Your body adapts quickly so you have to challenge it differently.
    Isn't that why we de-load after HST? Generally speaking the philosophy of lifting forces the body to respond and grow.
    Old school stuff. Nothing new, and it was pioneered with the likes of Arnold and those from his era.

Side note:
    I was helping a gent the other day. It was the oddest conversation.
    Then he looks at me and asks, "where did you get all those muscles"?
    I told him... "Oh, at the gym down the street.". lol.
    BLACK LION RESEARCH
    Follidrone 2.0 | Vector | Letrone | Rebirth | Exotherm | Nootrol | Viron | Prolactrone +
    15% code: MARK15 Want to know more?

2. Quote Originally Posted by jswain34 View Post
    Well, synthol is an example but I understand your point as thats really a completely different ballgame. There are countless examples of how a smaller muscle can be a stronger one based on a multitude of different factors including movement proficiency and the level of neural drive/motor unit recruitment in the subject. I am short on time right now so dont have time to look for a specific example, but say a guy did a hole **** pot full of volume with 20% of his e1rm with blood flow restricted training and got some hypertrophic stimulus out of it, that same training stimulus wont do a whole lot in the way of stimulating strength adaptation. However, once he provides the stimulus for strength adaptation with the new found muscle, he/she will be able to surpass the level of strength they otherwise would have. You're basically saying that progressive overload in most cases will lead to both hypertrophy and strength gains, each to different degrees based on a lot of things. But with that, yes, it's definitely true that increasing muscle cxa will have a direct relationship with increasing strength. I'm just trying to acknowledge that there are many other mechanisms at play for increasing strength than just the size of a muscle.
    We don't disagree, but you said the following statement by me wasn't true: "Of course it equals strenght. Any increase in any muscle equals strength." I'm not saying you can't get stronger without getting bigger. I'm simply asking for an example where you can increase a muscle size through exercise and not gain strength.
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    We don't disagree, but you said the following statement by me wasn't true: "Of course it equals strenght. Any increase in any muscle equals strength." I'm not saying you can't get stronger without getting bigger. I'm simply asking for an example where you can increase a muscle size through exercise and not gain strength.
    You can increase your bicep size and it may not increase your bench press, but it is increasing your bicep strength haha. Also, of course someone with smaller muscles may be stronger than someone with bigger muscles, but I assume youíre talking about a bigger muscle being stronger relative to itself, not go another person. I think people here may have different definitions that are causing some confusion.
    Performax Labs Online Rep.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com

4. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    You can increase your bicep size and it may not increase your bench press, but it is increasing your bicep strength haha. Also, of course someone with smaller muscles may be stronger than someone with bigger muscles, but I assume you’re talking about a bigger muscle being stronger relative to itself, not go another person. I think people here may have different definitions that are causing some confusion.
    I'm talking about basic physiology. If you increase the size of a specific muscle through exercise, that correlates with an increase in strength. Why would you use bench press as a measure of bicep strength? That's just ****ty experimental design. And again, I said increased size equals increased strength, not the other way around.

I'm talking about measurements like this https://insights.ovid.com/crossref?a...00007000-00019 not some bro looking in a mirror and seeing if his bench max went up.
    ***PES Representative***

5. Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    I'm talking about basic physiology. If you increase the size of a specific muscle through exercise, that correlates with an increase in strength. Why would you use bench press as a measure of bicep strength? That's just ****ty experimental design. And again, I said increased size equals increased strength, not the other way around.

I'm talking about measurements like this https://insights.ovid.com/crossref?a...00007000-00019 not some bro looking in a mirror and seeing if his bench max went up.
    Iím pretty much agreeing with you haha.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by YoungThor View Post
    Iím sure many of you have heard people with this new school thought on growing big biceps. What these people believe is that you can build large, muscular biceps by doing heavy compound lifts alone. They typically go on to claim that bicep isolation exercise is close to useless.

Does anyone here subscribe to this philosophy? Who here is against it?
    I actually agree here. Ever see how nfl lineman have huge arms or a strongman competitors? I guarantee that they both rarely do isolated bicep work.

7. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    Crazy concept, right? Why canít people do both? Why does it have to be one or the other?
    Exactly powerbuilding is the way to go imo. Start the workout like a Olympic/power lifter and finish like a bodybuilder. Frankly i notice more strength gains this way than powerlifting alone. I also notice more size this way than bodybuilding alone.

8. Quote Originally Posted by rtmilburn View Post
    I actually agree here. Ever see how nfl lineman have huge arms or a strongman competitors? I guarantee that they both rarely do isolated bicep work.
    It depends on what you mean by ďbig.Ē I do believe that direct bicep work from various angles and motions will result in better developed biceps with better shape. Thereís a clear difference between an NFL linemanís biceps, even if they cut down, and a bodybuilders biceps, even if they lift the same amount.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com

9. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    It depends on what you mean by ďbig.Ē I do believe that direct bicep work from various angles and motions will result in better developed biceps with better shape. Thereís a clear difference between an NFL linemanís biceps, even if they cut down, and a bodybuilders biceps, even if they lift the same amount.
    For sure

10. Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    I misunderstood/misinterpreted what your post was stating. We're on the same page, if the same person increases the cxa of the same muscle on his/her body it will be stronger just on the basis of the progressive overload that stimulated the muscle growth in the first place. As you said, synthol and the like excluded. I assumed you meant interpersonal too, which was a mistake on my part.
    Training log:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/267913-jswains-training-log.html

11. Quote Originally Posted by jswain34 View Post
    I misunderstood/misinterpreted what your post was stating. We're on the same page, if the same person increases the cxa of the same muscle on his/her body it will be stronger just on the basis of the progressive overload that stimulated the muscle growth in the first place. As you said, synthol and the like excluded. I assumed you meant interpersonal too, which was a mistake on my part.
    Nope, we're all good! I think some others are talking about how curls may or may not transfer into increased bench, deadlift, etc. where I'm only talking about measurements in size and strength specifically at the level of the bicep.
    ***PES Representative***

12. New school thought?.. heavy compound lifts, chest dips, pull ups, and chin ups.. this is not a new thing.. lolol

13. If your arms are lagging behind by the time you're benching 300lb then they'll also be lagging behind when you bench 500lb if that's all you ever do. Bring them up with isolation work. Ofcourse nobody with a 500lb bench is going to have small arms but in relation to their chest measurement you will certainly see far less aesthetic 500lb benchers than others.

14. Quote Originally Posted by ericos_bob View Post
    If your arms are lagging behind by the time you're benching 300lb then they'll also be lagging behind when you bench 500lb if that's all you ever do. Bring them up with isolation work. Ofcourse nobody with a 500lb bench is going to have small arms but in relation to their chest measurement you will certainly see far less aesthetic 500lb benchers than others.
    Exactly. You wonít have ďsmallĒ arms benching 500, but you may not have arms nearly to their potential, or in proportion with your chest/back/etc. I donít know why so many people think it has to be one or the other; you can lift heavy and do some isolation work.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com

15. Do cross body db hammer curls, then do whatever else. Negative chins with a reverse close gip will also work wonders...

16. Quote Originally Posted by pro45 View Post
    Do cross body db hammer curls, then do whatever else. Negative chins with a reverse close gip will also work wonders...
    I do think you also want to incorporate at least some direct bicep work that involves supination, as thatís also a function of the biceps and when the peak is most visible.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. New Here, thoughts on this stack
    By TSSbrother in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 10:28 PM
  2. share your thoughts on leg growth
    By superbeast668 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4