Do you use a Lifting belt?

jdm23

Awards
  • Established
I was doing some deadlifts today and just got to thinking about belts. I've worn one in the past but I prefer not to use one, even today while pulling 405.

So do you use a belt or not and if so at what % of your max?

Steezy

Steezy

Awards
  • Established
I always used to use a belt.. but I havent used it in 6 mos while doing deads and squat.. Ive only put it on if im maxing out for 1 rep!

K3flex

K3flex

Awards
I always use a belt. Especially squats. Any type of motion with possibility of me arching or twisting with heavy weight I typically wear it.

jdm23

Awards
  • Established
I always used to use a belt.. but I havent used it in 6 mos while doing deads and squat.. Ive only put it on if im maxing out for 1 rep!
Same here, what's your reasoning behind not using one?

jdm23

Awards
  • Established
I always use a belt. Especially squats. Any type of motion with possibility of me arching or twisting with heavy weight I typically wear it.
Do you use one all the time or only for 1rpm, 5rpm...etc?

K3flex

K3flex

Awards
Do you use one all the time or only for 1rpm, 5rpm...etc?
For squats/deads I'll wear it if I feel strain in my back. The only other life I really wear it with is dumbbell rows if I do sub 8 reps, but I don't usually.

taylor8461

taylor8461

Awards
I wear a belt if I have any kind of injury when doing squats and deads even super lighy. My lifts are super weak on deadlift and squat so I've been doing progressive overload w them, and if I feel my form break down a little I'll slap on that belt, prefer not to have a bad back injury.

jdm23

Awards
  • Established
I wear a belt if I have any kind of injury when doing squats and deads even super lighy. My lifts are super weak on deadlift and squat so I've been doing progressive overload w them, and if I feel my form break down a little I'll slap on that belt, prefer not to have a bad back injury.
Yeah that's a big thing for me, if i can't hold proper form without a belt I tend to focus on more reps at a lower weight to build my core up until I can do the rep without a belt. Now 1rpm is a different animal, but I don't do those often. Once a month usually.

Does anyone feel a belt compromises their ability to strengthen their core with compound lifts?

K3flex

K3flex

Awards
Yeah that's a big thing for me, if i can't hold proper form without a belt I tend to focus on more reps at a lower weight to build my core up until I can do the rep without a belt. Now 1rpm is a different animal, but I don't do those often. Once a month usually.

Does anyone feel a belt compromises their ability to strengthen their core with compound lifts?
I avoid it when I know I can avoid any deviation in my form. Otherwise I'll take the hit on the core work for better form.

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I absolutely wear a belt during all working sets. I have a slight bulge in one of my lower discs. So I have to make sure I keep maximum tension in my lower back with proper form or I can easily throw my back out. Actually just doing RDLs now because standard deads messed me up pretty good a few months back. I probably should go see a chiropractor.

Steezy

Steezy

Awards
  • Established
Same here, what's your reasoning behind not using one?
My theory behind it is that I dont think im lifting that much weight to need one.. only DLing 405 and squatting 315. I also really want to work on my breathing and getting tight without using a belt so when I start using a belt I will feel much stronger especially in my core.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I got into a habit of always using one for working sets but a lifting partner suggested I should mix it up more to aid development.

I know only use one for sub 5 reps (squat and dead) and have seen much better progress working at least one session on each a week without.....

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Im similar to Whisky ... only use it for <5 rep sets of squats or deads. Nothing else. I figure that if I want to build the appropriate core and stabilizer muscles, I need to work without it for the most part.

I also find that when I work without for awhile, when I go back to it, I see a great increase in the effect since my natural state is stronger.

Definitely would use it more/all if I had any kind of back injury tho

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
I wear a belt for DL and SQT that are at my 80% and higher of my 1RM

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don’t like the idea of having to use a piece of equipment to help me lift more weight. I Used to use wrist wraps (still do in some special cases but rarely) wear gloves, use a belt and all of that. Lifting belts help you to lift more weight. Using the valsalva maneuver with a belt on will always allow you to lift more weight than if you didn’t wear a belt at all. So are you really stronger? No and at the same time your core is getting weaker because the belt completely takes out the primary core muscles typically used in those exercises. I prefer to drop my ego, use less weight and gain real core strength than rely on a piece of equipment that makes my ego happy because I can lift more weight while using it

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was doing some deadlifts today and just got to thinking about belts. I've worn one in the past but I prefer not to use one, even today while pulling 405.

After you get pretty good technique , it really doesnt matter unless really big weights are used.

Squat over 3 and a half plates, probably a good idea

Deadlift 4 plates and over, probably a good idea.

Not because you need it. Just incase something goes wrong. Something goes wrong with 225? Not a big deal really.

Set up and fail with 450 on your back? Probably want a belt to push against / minimize permanent injury.
This advice is just for gym bros. Not competitors.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I don’t like the idea of having to use a piece of equipment to help me lift more weight. I Used to use wrist wraps (still do in some special cases but rarely) wear gloves, use a belt and all of that. Lifting belts help you to lift more weight. Using the valsalva maneuver with a belt on will always allow you to lift more weight than if you didn’t wear a belt at all. So are you really stronger? No and at the same time your core is getting weaker because the belt completely takes out the primary core muscles typically used in those exercises. I prefer to drop my ego, use less weight and gain real core strength than rely on a piece of equipment that makes my ego happy because I can lift more weight while using it
It depends what your goal is tho. Limiting more weight WILL still help grow back and leg muscles so if you’re looking for max overall size core strength is 100% secondary

HAMinTheTrap

Awards
[video=youtube;rrhc5-Fxo0g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrhc5-Fxo0g[/video]

jdm23

Awards
  • Established
Most things have a place, belts, supports. Lifting straps, but any can become a crutch for ones ego.

that video HAM hilarious

K3flex

K3flex

Awards
After you get pretty good technique , it really doesnt matter unless really big weights are used.

Squat over 3 and a half plates, probably a good idea

Deadlift 4 plates and over, probably a good idea.

Not because you need it. Just incase something goes wrong. Something goes wrong with 225? Not a big deal really.

Set up and fail with 450 on your back? Probably want a belt to push against / minimize permanent injury.
This advice is just for gym bros. Not competitors.
^this

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Squats and deadlifts I will use one when performing any amount of reps at 70%+ of my one rep max. Military press, I will use it when I am at 80%+ of my one rep max. I have tried using it on bench for max attempts and although it is not the most comfortable thing in the world, it does help keep tightness.

I am not against belts, but I do think people should learn how to brace without one first. I see too many people using a belt just to use it. If one does not brace with a belt, like they would without it, I don’t want to say it is pointless, but it can still lead to injury.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have done work with and without belts. I honestly don't view a belt as so much of a tool to keep the back straight, I mean...you still need good form and you can arch your back with one too. I've seen a lot of people with arched backs and belts. It doesn't necessarily increase stability in that way, IMO.

What I see a belt as being good for is for keeping your stomach from pressing out during a movement. This is easy to do, say you are half way up with something heavy and have to take a breath and just lose it for one second or something - bang, instant hernia because something went wrong. It shouldn't be used as a crutch or an excuse not to learn proper form, but I also use a power cage when I squat and don't squat without properly positioned safety bars. Would some guys just drop the bar and such? Sure - but I'm not a competitive athlete, I am a guy who has to work for a living and wants to be healthier, not beat up and broken from trying to be tough or pretend I'm never going to make a mistake.

Having said that I'm pretty limited on my belt use. I don't normally use it for squats. I personally have a hard time pushing my stomach out with the bar on my back, my entire core becomes too tight. But I will typically do warm ups with maybe 225 on the deadlifts with no belt. Once I start doing working sets though, the belt goes on. I never use my belt as a means of keeping my back straight, like doing militaries or something for instance. Seems to me like that is a form issue that needs to be corrected.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have done work with and without belts. I honestly don't view a belt as so much of a tool to keep the back straight, I mean...you still need good form and you can arch your back with one too. I've seen a lot of people with arched backs and belts. It doesn't necessarily increase stability in that way, IMO.

What I see a belt as being good for is for keeping your stomach from pressing out during a movement. This is easy to do, say you are half way up with something heavy and have to take a breath and just lose it for one second or something - bang, instant hernia because something went wrong. It shouldn't be used as a crutch or an excuse not to learn proper form, but I also use a power cage when I squat and don't squat without properly positioned safety bars. Would some guys just drop the bar and such? Sure - but I'm not a competitive athlete, I am a guy who has to work for a living and wants to be healthier, not beat up and broken from trying to be tough or pretend I'm never going to make a mistake.

Having said that I'm pretty limited on my belt use. I don't normally use it for squats. I personally have a hard time pushing my stomach out with the bar on my back, my entire core becomes too tight. But I will typically do warm ups with maybe 225 on the deadlifts with no belt. Once I start doing working sets though, the belt goes on. I never use my belt as a means of keeping my back straight, like doing militaries or something for instance. Seems to me like that is a form issue that needs to be corrected.
Couldn’t agree more

GreekTheBrick

GreekTheBrick

Awards
  • Established
I used to use it often, now I use it only when I go for my new 1RM or when it is not a good lifting day but I still want to do my usual 1RM

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

absolutely once I get to very heavy weight for myself