Lagging military press

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm currently a fair but better at shoulder presses than I am at military presses. I know my shoulders are currently a major weak spot and I'm doing extra shoulder work in an effort to help them catch up.
Are military press weights typically lighter than shoulder press weights or is there something else going on, and how could I remedy the situation?

I can shoulder press (machine) 70kg for 8 but only military press (barbell) 45kg for 5. One factor may be that I use a deadlift bar for military presses and so the tipping forces are multiplied

APC80

APC80

Awards
With machines you don't have to stabilise the weight so you can use far more weight, same goes for those bench press machines. It's perfectly normal. That's why I stay away from machines I think they're pointless unless you're injured or using them as an accessory exercise.

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I can't remember where I obtained this knowledge, but yes having a lighter military press (strict form) is true because of the multiple joints that are in play (basically all of them for a standing military) ..

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
If your chest has a greater degree of development or better growth potential you can deemphasize your chest training and ramp up shoulder dominant exercises. I once dropped chest specific training for 6 months to focus only on shoulder development. Works well

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm currently a fair but better at shoulder presses than I am at military presses. I know my shoulders are currently a major weak spot and I'm doing extra shoulder work in an effort to help them catch up.
Are military press weights typically lighter than shoulder press weights or is there something else going on, and how could I remedy the situation?

I can shoulder press (machine) 70kg for 8 but only military press (barbell) 45kg for 5. One factor may be that I use a deadlift bar for military presses and so the tipping forces are multiplied
You are not stabilizing the weight with the machine, so that could be one reason. Another reason could be that you are actually doing a legit military press. Often, people will say they are doing a military press, but are doing an overhead press or push press which uses leg drive. Military presses do not use leg drive. If you do not use leg drive, the weight you move will be less. It is possible you are using leg drive on the seated machine version as well. Lastly, on the military press, you need to engage your core, which can take away from the pressing weight.