Routine for lagging Chest/Front Delts

lukinosnake

Awards
  • Established
Hi guys. I am planning 12 weeks cutting stating today. Considering that I did have (and I still have) a very stressful year, and I am not pleased with my results, I did plan a new routine to target, in particular, upper chest, front delts and arms.
Please note that I am very use to big volume, therefore it may seems a lot of sets for some of you.

Chest (Heavy)/Shoulders (Light)/ Triceps
Bench press: 4x106
Dumbbell press: 4x 10-8
Incline Bench Fly: 3x10-8
Arnold Press: 3x10-8 SS Lateral Rises: 3x10-8
Dips: 3xMax
Triceps push down: 4x 12-10
Triceps Extension: 3x 10-8

Back/Rear Delts/Biceps
Lat Machine: 4x12-8
Deadlifts: 10-8-6-4
Barbell Row: 4x10-8
Pulley: 3x8
Face pull: 3x 12-10
Lat Machine Neutral grip: 2x15
Barbell Shrugs: 4x 12-8
Barbell Curl: 4x10-8
Hummer Curl: 3x 10

Legs
Squat: 10-8-8-6-6
Leg press: 3x12-10
Leg Extension: 3x 12-10
Leg Curl: 3x12-10
Dumbbell Lunges: 3x12-10 SS Dumbbell Romanian Deadlifts: 3x12-10
Standing Calf Rise: 3x 15-12
Sitting Calf Rise: 3x15-12

Shoulders (Heavy)/Chest (Light)/ Arms(Light)

Smith Machine Military Press: 4x10-8
Lateral Rises: 4x12-10
Cable frontal rises: 3x10
Incline Bench Press: 4x 12-10
Fly low cable: 3x12
Ez Bar Curl: 3x 12-10 SS French Press: 3x12-10
Rope Push Down: 3x12-10 SS Rope Hammer Curls: 3x12-10

I do not have a schedule for abs, however I do them twice a week, when I can fit them, depending on the week.

Please feel free to give any suggestion and advice.

I will post also my natty cutting stack.

Jhowe73

Jhowe73

Awards
Swap incline fly for incline press and swap flat bench for decline bench, apparently the ideal angle to hit as much of your upper chest as possible is 34 degrees so get your protractor out!

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
4 sets of 106 reps of heavy bench press? Is that a typo? Lol

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I think he meant 4 sets of 10-6, I hope. That'd be some serious volume! Hahah

I would swap out the flat benching for incline press. I always prefer to start my chest workout with incline press or db incline press to target the upper chest and delts more

lukinosnake

Awards
  • Established
I think he meant 4 sets of 10-6, I hope. That'd be some serious volume! Hahah

I would swap out the flat benching for incline press. I always prefer to start my chest workout with incline press or db incline press to target the upper chest and delts more
That's thr only thing you would change? Overall you like the routine, for yoi proposed goal?

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm a big fan of reverse grip incline bench press. Huge for upper chest.

I also like dumbbell flat flies superset with hex presses both with a hard squeeze.

You could also add in an extra day for shoulders and chest. I like Upright rows, shoulder press, and hammer strength shoulder press (I do these at a L, R, Both = 1 rep).

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
That's thr only thing you would change? Overall you like the routine, for yoi proposed goal?
Overall your split looks pretty good. Volume is definitely there! I would experiment with this routine and see how it works for you. There is no "right" or "perfect" workout split, so see how this treats you and adjust accordingly. I would definitely switch out some of the chest workouts with the ones mentioned in this thread above to put more emphasis on your upper chest. I would also consider adding in more side raises and lateral raises for shoulders, that's really what will give you that shoulder width and make the delts appear larger

lukinosnake

Awards
  • Established
Hi guys, I reply only now as I had a terrible week, however I did manage to train everything.
Chest day was very good, I enjoyed a lot. As suggested I started with incline dumbell, then i moved to decline smith machine. I think as well that I may do decline flys rather than incline.
Back day was ok, but sloppy as I went there after 13 hours of work. Good feelings though.
Leg day in all honestly was sh*t. However that's a volume very well known to me. To be frank, due to travel for work in hotel with bad gyms or nothing at all, packing and moving house on my own, I did not train legs for like 3 weeks. However, being my biggest body part compare to the rest, they do not suffer much in terms of size, but the volume was killed.
Shoulders was brutal. Really nice feeling. Nonsense pump.

I would consider to add some lateral rises and maybe hex presses. I do not have a nice hammer strength shoulder press. In UK most of gyms are cheap and bad.
Upright row is not wath I would add as my traps are overcoming my back, therefore i want to limit exercise that involve them. Where should I add them?

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I personally would start the chest day with cable flyes or pec deck to warm up. Ive found this helps tremendously in my sessions. Doesnt have to be heavy, just focus and stretch and squeeze. Also imo ive gotten so much more out of incline presses than any other. The look is all in the upper chest anyways. If it was me i would swap all presses db and barbell out for inclines. I would do flyes flat. I find it easier on the shoulders.

blondbencher

Awards
I'd consider having your cheat meal/cheat day on your chest day. Seems like that would better support your goals of cutting AND developing chest and front delts more.

lukinosnake

Awards
  • Established
I personally would start the chest day with cable flyes or pec deck to warm up. Ive found this helps tremendously in my sessions. Doesnt have to be heavy, just focus and stretch and squeeze. Also imo ive gotten so much more out of incline presses than any other. The look is all in the upper chest anyways. If it was me i would swap all presses db and barbell out for inclines. I would do flyes flat. I find it easier on the shoulders.
That's what I actually did this week and it was really good. Nothing heavy, just 3x15.

lukinosnake

Awards
  • Established
I'd consider having your cheat meal/cheat day on your chest day. Seems like that would better support your goals of cutting AND developing chest and front delts more.
I like the idea. I gonna test it for 6 weeks and see jow it goes. Something almost clean thought. Grilled steak large burrito I guess.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hi guys, I reply only now as I had a terrible week, however I did manage to train everything.
Chest day was very good, I enjoyed a lot. As suggested I started with incline dumbell, then i moved to decline smith machine. I think as well that I may do decline flys rather than incline.
Back day was ok, but sloppy as I went there after 13 hours of work. Good feelings though.
Leg day in all honestly was sh*t. However that's a volume very well known to me. To be frank, due to travel for work in hotel with bad gyms or nothing at all, packing and moving house on my own, I did not train legs for like 3 weeks. However, being my biggest body part compare to the rest, they do not suffer much in terms of size, but the volume was killed.
Shoulders was brutal. Really nice feeling. Nonsense pump.

I would consider to add some lateral rises and maybe hex presses. I do not have a nice hammer strength shoulder press. In UK most of gyms are cheap and bad.
Upright row is not wath I would add as my traps are overcoming my back, therefore i want to limit exercise that involve them. Where should I add them?
I always like high volume db routined for shoulder, with little to no presses. Ive found routines from kris gethin and john meadows to be my favorite.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I always like high volume db routined for shoulder, with little to no presses. Ive found routines from kris gethin and john meadows to be my favorite.
Agree with this 100%. I find that lateral raises grow your delts and give that roundness much more than any pressing does. Lighter weights, less strain on the shoulder joint, and wider delts? Sign me up haha

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Agree with this 100%. I find that lateral raises grow your delts and give that roundness much more than any pressing does. Lighter weights, less strain on the shoulder joint, and wider delts? Sign me up haha
Yea bro. Also really like john meadows stuff because he does heavy partials and alot of rear delt work in the beginning. Has helped me a lot. The people i train have been loving shoulders lately. Just high volume. Also i find when i eliminate presses i can hit them twice a week. Which also has helped me. Put all the stress on the delts and not my rotators and joints

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yea bro. Also really like john meadows stuff because he does heavy partials and alot of rear delt work in the beginning. Has helped me a lot. The people i train have been loving shoulders lately. Just high volume. Also i find when i eliminate presses i can hit them twice a week. Which also has helped me. Put all the stress on the delts and not my rotators and joints
Now I'm curious as to your shoulder routine

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Now I'm curious as to your shoulder routine
What ive been doing lately is chest and shoulder.

Start with cable flies, then incline presses, all types of techniques and different machines

Then i head to shoulder. Rear delts, then side delts, at least 12 sets, 20-40 reps per set. Havent been doing much front delts on thisnday because of all the incline presses. If i do a shoulder only day i will do some front delts.

Google mountain dog shoulders and kris gethin shoulders. Should get some great ideas. Those are my favorites at least.