Ribs (center chest)

MrManlet

MrManlet

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys. I was working out today (I'm back from about a 5-6 month break due to a back injury) and was working shoulders. When I do rear delts I like to lie on the incline chest down (so I'm laying on my stomach on an incline) and squeeze back nice and tight with really light weight. Well I was doing this today, and didn't notice any pain or discomfort until I stood up and stretched out my chest and I felt pain (possible just from the pressure of pushing my chest into the bench) in the center of my chest like my ribs. This only hurts when I stretch out or flex my core. Any possible ideas? Is it anything serious or should I just give it a couple days to see what happens?

MrManlet

MrManlet

Awards
  • Established
If it means anything I was doing some moderate weight shoulder presses before this, military presses Arnold's and then did super set shoulder flys

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yeah i get something like this. I think its sticky fascia. I use 10Ib chicks bar and a flat bench to stretch using a pullover like mocement. The trick is to push lower back into bench use engaged core to pull bottom of ribcage down while swweezing shoulderblades with bar held overhead to pull top of ribcsge up.

MrManlet

MrManlet

Awards
  • Established
Will incline bench work with this? I can't really comfortably lay flat yet

MrManlet

MrManlet

Awards
  • Established
Some more on this^ any kinda of movement is done comfortably. The only things I struggle doing still is getting up from a flat position and laying flat on my stomach from my back injury. I'm not hindered still just clarifying

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Will incline bench work with this? I can't really comfortably lay flat yet
Yeah but be very careful, if u cant lie on a flat surface without pain u may have torn an intercostal.

MrManlet

MrManlet

Awards
  • Established
I'm sorry if I didn't clarify, but me not being able to lay flat is due to my back injury earlier in the year (lumbar sprain)

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I'm sorry if I didn't clarify, but me not being able to lay flat is due to my back injury earlier in the year (lumbar sprain)
Mate I think you need to see a physio. Soft tissue injury like lumbar sprain should heal pretty quickly with rest so if you are still having trouble lying flat
more than 2 weeks after Id say there is still some dysfunction that needs to be addressed.

Also its probably not a good idea to load up the lumbar with any overhead push movements.

MrManlet

MrManlet

Awards
  • Established
Seen an ortho and he gave me 3-9 month heal time for lumbar sprain

MrManlet

MrManlet

Awards
  • Established
Told me soft tissue is sometimes worse than breaks

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Wow, 6-9months?? That sucks. Yeah I'd definitely avoid vertical loading on the spine and go see a physio. He should get you to lying down without pain by now, and maybe give u some exercises to retain mobility, prevent nerve trapping, and get blood flowing through the area for quicker healing.

MrManlet

MrManlet

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the suggestion brother, where would I start with that, my general physician?

MrManlet

MrManlet

Awards
  • Established
The funny thing is, the only thing that feels uncomfortable is laying down and putting pressure on me. Vertical loading doesn't cause any discomfort and I managed to hit 60s for military presses the other day even being out of the gym for a while (I'm also taking ostarine for its healing properties)

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Nah you can go direct to a physiotherapist. just google one near you, and check the reviews (bad physios usually have a lot of bad reviews). The problem with vertical loading when you have a lumbar injury is the spine articulates in a compromised manner which can exacerbate inflammation around the vertebrae, and lead to injury elsewhere as firing patterns change because of compensation.

Your physiotherapist can give better advice after checking you out.

MrManlet

MrManlet

Awards
  • Established
Not to question what you're saying at all cuz that's not what I'm doing, but with money being an issue right now and having state issued medical since I've been out of work, I question my ability to get a good physio near me. Do u think this is an issue to be addressed immediately? I feel as tho I'm slowly but steadily healing. **** two months ago I couldn't lay down at night to sleep now I can (just an example, I've also had trouble walking without discomfort about three months ago, and to date I'm now working out). I feel as tho when I'm working out, while keeping weight light to moderate, I have perfect form and don't compromise at all. Could I be compromising slightly and not realizing it? Just asking, thanks in advance

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I see where you are coming from.

In your position, I wouldn't sacrifice a couple meals to go to the physio. I would however, stop the overhead pressing movements, as well as loaded squats & deads, and instead do lots of stuff with bands and bodyweight all the while working on my mobility and flexibility. Aas for the sore ribs, standing cable pullovers (with a neutral spine) are a pretty good substitute for the exercise I mentioned above, just remember to keep the weight down and work on the top of the movement with nicely retracted scaps and relaxed traps. You literally want to stretch ur ribcage using serratus anterior and a braced core.

Good luck bro.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I see where you are coming from.

In your position, I wouldn't sacrifice a couple meals to go to the physio. I would however, stop the overhead pressing movements, as well as loaded squats & deads, and instead do lots of stuff with bands and bodyweight all the while working on my mobility and flexibility. Aas for the sore ribs, standing cable pullovers (with a neutral spine) are a pretty good substitute for the exercise I mentioned above, just remember to keep the weight down and work on the top of the movement with nicely retracted scaps and relaxed traps. You literally want to stretch ur ribcage using serratus anterior and a braced core.

Good luck bro.

MrManlet

MrManlet

Awards
  • Established
Actually better! It lasted about 2 days buut after that it's like nothing happened, just had to do some stretches. I tried laying down on incline and pulling a bar from straight behind me and all the way forward and gotta say it helped a lot and even felt good! Probably gonna add this to my warm up stretches!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Actually better! It lasted about 2 days buut after that it's like nothing happened, just had to do some stretches. I tried laying down on incline and pulling a bar from straight behind me and all the way forward and gotta say it helped a lot and even felt good! Probably gonna add this to my warm up stretches!
Awesome. Yeah must have been a little fascia tear, making room for ur osta gains!

Yeah i love that pullover variation for push warmup. Its a stretch for the push muscles and a stabilising contraction for serratus anterior which is super important for maintaining healthy thoracic extensuon.

MrManlet

MrManlet

Awards
  • Established
Yea the ostarine has been ever so sweet to me, nice recomp effect going on and I haven't even noticed suppression sides, which most likely I am due to my dosage but I'll take it! And yes thank you for explaining that to me it deff helped a lot brother!

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Good stuff from Benny.

If u decide to go the PT route and are concerned about quality of care, consider a clinic that is offiliated with a sport team. Their approach will tend to be more aggressive, especially since you should be viewed like an athlete trying to get back on the field ASAP.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mixedup Anabolics 4
Woody Training Forum 3
Training Forum 2
General Chat 4
DerickVonD Training Forum 11