Lifting belt recommendation... soft lever?

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
Due to issues with my lower back, I have found a lifting belt gives me some much needed and beneficial confidence in my lifts (I don't use it as a crutch), but I am having a lot of trouble finding a belt that's actually comfortable! I do find the lever style ones much better in respect to tightness and ease of use, but they all seem super hard and dig in around my abdomen, actually distracting me during the lift. I am wondering if I should just give up with the lever and opt for a softer buckle style (there seem to be a few options there), but I am wondering if anyone can recommend a lever belt that might actually be suitable? Failing that, what the best (and softest) buckle one might be. I am based in the UK, so ideally would rather not ship from the US unless absolutely necessary. FYI, I have tried the Rise lever belt but found that dug in too much, and also the tapered lever belt from Strength Shop in the UK, but found that way too stiff and it didn't even conform to my body.

Any recommendations would be most welcome. Budget isn't an issue, I will pay for something that is worth it. Thanks in advance. :)

runtyemonster

Awards
What thickness do you use? 10mm is usually easier to break in then 13mm. From my experience, most good belts need to be broken in.

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
Yes, 10mm typically, although the Strength Shop one I used was 13mm. The Rise one was 10mm and better, but I think I do just have a narrow torso and the width between my hips and ribs is quite small.

I may benefit from a tapered belt more so.

gaz7456

gaz7456

Awards
I use a 4" all round met x belt. Yes it is quite hard when new but will start to soften over time and generally will last you a lifetime.

Yes it used to be a little bit harsh on the waist, but it was never so painful that i couldn't use it and gives excellent support.

VO2Maxima

VO2Maxima

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wouldn't get a tapered belt. The whole reason to have one is to increase intra-abdominal pressure, which is even more important for you if you have low back issues, and having it be skinny in the front is less surface area to brace against and therefore lower intra-abdominal pressure.

I am not familiar with either of the two belts you posted. However, I've heard that some cheap belts actually aren't fully leather and actually have plastic in the middle of them (you can probably find what I'm talking about if you google "lever belt plastic economy belt" which brought up a few results for me). Those will NEVER break in. Go with a 10mm from Inzer, Pioneer, Best Belts, Bob's Belts, or a Titan Longhorn. Those will all be high quality and break in over time, and 10mm breaks in faster than 13mm. They do take some time to conform, and won't be comfortable out of the box, though I've found that storing it curled up on the smallest notch until they break in speeds the process along. If you REALLY think your waist is super short, some places will make a 3 inch belt (Pioneer probably will, and I believe Best Belts does), but most people who don't have ridiculously short torsos will be better off with a standard 4 inch belt and just have to give it time to break in.