trying to gain weight to make the team.....

davidiswel

Awards
I'm trying out for my colleges spring football squad in late feb and most of the tryout is basically on paper based on stats EX, like height and weight and then they seem if you are semi athletic..... so basically the trick is to look as tall and as heavy on paper as possible. Im 6 foot 2 and about 203 pounds (in the morning) I have been lifting a lot throughout high school and now into college but have had only mediocre results.In highschool i was recruited to play O-line but thats just because i weighted a ton more (mostly fat) so most of my working out until now has been to loose weight. I want to gain as much weight (muscle not fat lol) as possible by then. I'm kind of a beginner when it comes to structured workout routines so thats why I'm asking. I appreciate any advise. thanks you guys!!!

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
Couple different things you could do. You could do PHAT or HIT. If your open to supps, there are some that are non-hormone related but are fantastic weight gainers.

davidiswel

Awards
What non hormone supplements would you recommend?

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
What's your diet look like? Supplements are not necessarily the answer. How many calories are you eating? Do you track your calories and macros?

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm gonna echo PHAT... my fav program.

Olympus Labs basically has the motherload of natty anabolics.

Something like Triumph (all-in-one ergogenic) + Origin would be a good starting point to keep your gains lean. A lot of guys hitting PRs and reporting leaning out effects while increasing body weight on Origin

Epic Unleashed/Strength unleashed could also help. Testify is a solid test booster that will hit your test from multiple angles. The AP in it will increase appetite, too

Of course, without a solid program and diet supplements will just be a waste.

davidiswel

Awards
Do you recommend any specific phat workout routine?? I just did a little reading on it and I think that might be the correct route

davidiswel

Awards
About 2700 cals and about 60-70g of protein

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
You need to eat more and focus on strength.

To play college ball, especially at your size, you need to be powerful as all hell.

You should only be counting calories to make sure you get ENOUGH, and not worry about fat gain at all. You're quite small for 6'2" and will get run through by college level athletes, especially if you're not strong either.

Im a huge fan of PHAT as well, but IMO you need to focus more on the stregth aspects than size and just need to probably double your cals and 4-5x the protein you're currently taking.

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established

To play college ball, especially at your size, you need to be powerful as all hell.

You should only be counting calories to make sure you get ENOUGH, and not worry about fat gain at all. You're quite small for 6'2" and will get run through by college level athletes, especially if you're not strong either.

Im a huge fan of PHAT as well, but IMO you need to focus more on the stregth aspects than size and just need to probably double your cals and 4-5x the protein you're currently taking.
This and like Woody and a couple others said, up your calories and you only really need to pay attention to the protein. I'm 6'ish at 193 and my TDEE is 3500 calories.

Eat clean and check out Tr1umph and Or1gin. There are a couple others but they cost more and require more attention.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

This, you're going to have to put on size (and strength) to play at even a small school unless you're running a sub 4.5 40, which seems unlikely if you were recruited to play o-line in HS. What position are you looking to play, and what are your "combine" numbers (40-time, vertical, reps at 225lb bench press, etc) and max lifts? I played outside linebacker in HS, but was definitely too light to play the position in college, and not quite fast enough to play strong safety.

Also, I've found that it's hard to teach pure speed (besides technique and starting your 40), but agility work really helps with footwork and shuttle-type drills, which are important for some positions, perhaps even more than the 40 time.

davidiswel

Awards
4.8 40, 11x225. Dunno the rest. I'm really only gunnin. For the spring team. Since I've been on the team call list (since last spring)for ir long snapper. I'm just trying to put on the most weight possible while remaining athletic. Both my old work out partners made the team one as LB and one as RB, but now that I workout on my own I'd thought o should ask y'all for advice.

davidiswel

Awards
If eat that much should I throw in some cardio to offset the calories. Or am I too caught up in the calorie count?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
If eat that much should I throw in some cardio to offset the calories. Or am I too caught up in the calorie count?
You need to be doing cardio to keep up your athleticism, but in order to gain strength and size you need to eat much more than you're burning

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You need to be doing cardio to keep up your athleticism, but in order to gain strength and size you need to eat much more than you're burning
This. Cardio is going to be necessary for football, but doing cardio means burning more calories, which means you have to eat even more to gain weight.