Trying to help a friend GAIN weight but there`s a catch.

reptone

Awards
  • Established
He has hepatitis C and has a hard time gaining/keeping weight. He can`t do any anabolics type stuff that will stress his liver. He rarely has an appetite. I am looking for something to give him an appetite and I`m gonna send him(he lives a few states from me) samples of protein powder that I use and a few recipes(adding oatmeal, etc to shakes). He is not a weakling so don`t get the wrong idea that he is frail. He is a mechanic and strong for his size. He is currently about 155 at 6 feet. He would like to be a healthy 180 like he was in high school. Even heavier if possible. He won`t mind gaining a little fat. He is 44 years old.He will be starting a year long chemo type treatment that supposedly wipes out the Hep C but it is rough like chemo is and he needs to gain some weight to be able to handle the treatments. I`m sure the Dr will recommend something, I`m just trying to give him a headstart with any natural stuff that will not possibly hurt him. Any suggestions will be helpful.

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
The only thing that is going to make your friend gain weight is food. Appetites can be annoying, but if your friend wants to gain weight he's going to have to force feed himself and try to work up an appetite.

I can think of one thing that will raise his appetite for sure, but it is also illegal.

reptone

Awards
  • Established
The only thing that is going to make your friend gain weight is food. Appetites can be annoying, but if your friend wants to gain weight he's going to have to force feed himself and try to work up an appetite.

I can think of one thing that will raise his appetite for sure, but it is also illegal.
Exactly. I was hoping there was a natural supplement that would boost his appetite. I did a Havoc cycle and was eating every 2 hours like a madman but that isn`t an option for him with the liver issues.

DrivenDreams

Awards
  • Established
They make appetite enhancement supps. Just look @ controlled Labz.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Black hole i believe is appetite enhancement by controlled labs sounds like it works wonders check it out.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
He has hepatitis C and has a hard time gaining/keeping weight. He can`t do any anabolics type stuff that will stress his liver. He rarely has an appetite. I am looking for something to give him an appetite and I`m gonna send him(he lives a few states from me) samples of protein powder that I use and a few recipes(adding oatmeal, etc to shakes). He is not a weakling so don`t get the wrong idea that he is frail. He is a mechanic and strong for his size. He is currently about 155 at 6 feet. He would like to be a healthy 180 like he was in high school. Even heavier if possible. He won`t mind gaining a little fat. He is 44 years old.He will be starting a year long chemo type treatment that supposedly wipes out the Hep C but it is rough like chemo is and he needs to gain some weight to be able to handle the treatments. I`m sure the Dr will recommend something, I`m just trying to give him a headstart with any natural stuff that will not possibly hurt him. Any suggestions will be helpful.
this is a situation where he should talk to his doctor. clearly if he HAS to gain weight before treatment, and the doctor wants him to get treated, its in the doctors best interest to prescribe him something that will help gain weight.

inside the box, eating smaller more frequent meals and lifting will obviously help. so does eating more nutrient dense food for snacks like peanut butter, or some half and half :) like another member suggested, black hole may help.

outside the box, maridol.... shouldn't be much of a stretch for the doctor to give him a prescription.

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
black hole is an appetite stimulant which has some very positive reviews. On the whole protein powder thing, diets high on protein are also taxing on the liver and he should probably avoid this. I would suggest u tell him to dirty up his diet a bit this will help with some weight gain. Honestly though my opinion would be to either have him consult a doctor or call your PCP and get an expert opinion from someone who knows the disease and complications better.