Rowing Machine

Famine

Famine

Awards
I've been wanting to add a rowing machine to my list of workout activities...but I don't want to spend a ton of money. I've been on Amazon, and there are a lot of rowing machines for under $200, but when I read the reviews, it seems a lot of people claim they break after a short period of time. I've looked on Craigslist a lot, and it seems everyone selling their rowing machine wants the same price they paid for it. Anyone have any insight into a decent rowing machine?

AllTheGainz

Awards
I've rowed on a college team, and I've had my chance with many different types of ergometers (rowing machines). Trust me, the higher the price the better it is in so many ways. I personally love the concept 2 erg, it's smooth if well maintained and your ass will thank you. I've been on 200$ ones and my ass was dying after minutes (keep in mind I spent upwards of 90 min on these at a time). The cheeper ones always had foot straps break which are a pain in the ass to fix, chains would stretch and warp so it wouldn't be a smooth pull, and the fly wheel would often jam meaning you can't use it at all.

Concept 2 is the way to go, an erg is the best cardio workout I've ever done, always hop on one to warm up now even if I'm not rowing anymore.

Famine

Famine

Awards
Thanks. I'll look into that.

...I did...$900...ouch. If I want to go that route, I'll have to back burner it for a while.

Bodybeast

Awards
  • Established
Just go take someone's rowboat and call it a day sir

AllTheGainz

Awards
Thanks. I'll look into that.

...I did...$900...ouch. If I want to go that route, I'll have to back burner it for a while.
Buy them used, when you get them take the front plate off (a few screws) and clean the fan. Then pull the chain all the way back and oil it. After that clean the slide (part the seat slides on) and the wheels of the seat

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
Can you add weight to them? The gym here has one but I've never used it. Might try it just to mix things up a bit.

AllTheGainz

Awards
Can you add weight to them? The gym here has one but I've never used it. Might try it just to mix things up a bit.
No, ergs run off a fan flywheel. The fan causes air resistance and there's a slider on the side that allows you to increase of decrease air flow to the fan thereby decreasing or increasing resistance.

The newer ones also have a calculation they consistently run that plugs the resistance and chain speed into a calculation to out put watts, erg times, calories burned etc

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
No, ergs run off a fan flywheel. The fan causes air resistance and there's a slider on the side that allows you to increase of decrease air flow to the fan thereby decreasing or increasing resistance.

The newer ones also have a calculation they consistently run that plugs the resistance and chain speed into a calculation to out put watts, erg times, calories burned etc
Oh ok. Thats what I meant. I'm gonna give it a try later tonight. Thanks

AllTheGainz

Awards
Oh ok. Thats what I meant. I'm gonna give it a try later tonight. Thanks
I recommend setting it on 4, also watch 1-2 videos on proper form. You don't want to be that guy who doesn't know how to use the machine and embarrass yourself. Trust me I've seen it all and I still laugh occasionally.

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
I recommend setting it on 4, also watch 1-2 videos on proper form. You don't want to be that guy who doesn't know how to use the machine and embarrass yourself. Trust me I've seen it all and I still laugh occasionally.
Haha I'll make sure to do that. Thanks for the heads up.

AllTheGainz

Awards
Haha I'll make sure to do that. Thanks for the heads up.
No problem man, also one more thing, the harder you go the less cardio you get. Long slow steady state is where it's at for cardio and warming up. Other then that I think you'll enjoy it till your ass feels like it's going to fall off.