Workout Routines.

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
I was looking to change my workout routine a few weeks ago, but I hit "writers block" and couldn't seem to write one. I decided to try and just google one, but found nothing but b.s. Eventually I just stuck to my guns and wrote one. The reason for starting the thread is so the members here can post their routines, maybe we find each other's programs inspiring. So I will start, here is mine.

Monday:

Cardio ( Whatever I feel like for about 20-30 mins).
Bench press machine 3 sets 12 reps *Fast and medium weight*
Dumbbell press 3 sets 12 reps *65% 1RM*
Bench press 5 sets 5 reps *80-85% 1RM*
Tricep pushdowns 4sets 12 reps *Fast medium weight*
Close grip BP 3sets 12 reps *70-75% 1RM*
Wrist curls 3sets 20 reps *Fast and medium weight*
SIDE NOTE: FAST DOES NOT MEAN DOING THE REPS FAST, BUT KEEPING THE BREAKS SHORT.

Tuesday:

Leg extensions 4 sets 12 reps. *Fast and medium weight*
Hamstring curls 4 sets 12 reps *Fast and medium weight*
Dumbbell squat 3sets 12 reps *Fast and medium weight*
Squat 5 sets 5 reps * 80-85% 1RM*
Calf raises 3 sets 15 reps *Fast and medium weight*
Ab Machine 3 sets as much as possible

Thursday:

Lat Pulldown 3 sets 12 reps *Fast and medium*
Barbell rows 3 sets 12 reps *70-80% 1RM*
Deadlift 5 sets 5 reps *80-85% 1RM*
EZ bar curl 3 sets 8 reps *80-85% 1RM*
Concentration curls 3sets 12 reps *Fast and medium*
Wrist curls 3 sets 12 reps *Fast and medium*

Saturday:

Machine shoulder press 3sets 12 reps *Fast and medium*
Bent over rear delt raises 3 sets 12 reps *Fast and medium*
Overhead press 5 sets 5 reps *80-85% of 1RM*
Dumbbell shrugs 3 sets 12 reps *70-75% of 1RM*
Ab curls 3 sets As much as possible*

NOTE: Reps will be awarded for the best Workout routines.

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
hairygrandpa Sparkss sparks2012 Alpha1agreda lifted67 UncleSarm smith_69 bighulksmash CJNator Tank999 BamBam0319 MrKleen73 THE MONSTAR Thiefcatcher Gutterpump HIT4ME thebigt RegisterJr wasme Jebrook Toren DennisTheDane Captn_the NutraChem ax1 Famine Rocket3015 Volvo140G Hastur lukehayd Dma378 EMPIREMIND john.pattersonTagger Woody
These are just some tags of members whos routines I would like to hear.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
pretty good list of names up there- between all of us, we should win routine of the decade.

for me, especially now during the summer time (time at the gym is shortened) i switch it up between doing a single body part 5 -6 exercises and rep range med to high then 3 weeks later i will superset that body part for 2-3 weeks. after that i will then hit 2 muscle groups for 3-4 weeks and then go back to single.
this is what works for me and keeps my body guessing and doesn't get boring. Each switch is just as demanding and requires you to push yourself.

on weeks that i focus on single muscle groups i will use more tempo moves and focus on contraction for better development. this is exhausting and has really helped me

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Damn. This is going to be a good thread. I cant fully write a routine because I program my workouts weekly. I usually always have some heavy compounds.

For chest I only do incline bench, and now and then flat bench. I use incline dB's, barbell, and Smith machine. I find I get the best contractions from the Smith machine on chest. Also I almost always do tut without locking out. I love incline dB's around 70% of my max for 100 reps rest pause. That absolutely blows my chest up also.

For back I am very old school. Heavy barbell rows, t bar rows, weighted pull ups, dB rows, cable rows etc. I use a lot of mountain dog training for back. And of course I cannot forget deadlifts and rack pulls! Deads have been a crucial part of my development. I always focus on stretching at the bottom and squeezing at the top of my reps. Back is all about the squeeze.

Legs have been a little difficult for me lately but I hammer legs to no end. I have always like squating but when I lost 100 pounds on my squat in the matter of a week due to an injury, I had to rest and rethink my training. I really like to use the precor super squat machine. I do a hack style squat as well as a back squat variation. I like to hit higher reps, around 15 at my heaviest weight. My legs respond better to this. My earlier sets go up to 50 reps with moderate weight, not light! I work in 1 and a quarter reps and other intensifiers often. Leg press is similar, heavy and a lot of reps. I have done a lot of 100-150 rep drop sets which are killer and ignite the metabolism. I also like to focus on hamstrings slot because squats nd leg press are so quad dominant.

Claves- intra set stretching has truly developed them. This is the most brutal thing I do. So much pain!

Arms: mostly supersetted. 100rep triceps sets, blood flow restriction training and heavy preachers. I have come to love cables for arms. Also been using the fat grips to add in another level.

Shoulders: my favorite. I do ALOT of side raises! Supersets, tons of drops, light heavy. Swings, seated etc etc. Rear Delts are also a focus. Face pulls, reverse flys. I love Arnold presses, Smith machine overheads from a rom of under the chin to right above the forehead. I have been doing one arm dB presses and like those as well.

Traps I do shrugs, use the Nautilus deadlifts machine single arm, and rack pulls and deads. Do hanging stretches! After your sets drop your Chin nd let the weight stretch your traps.

Abs:
I do ALOT of lower abs, actually that's all I do really. Hanging leg lifts and knee lifts, tons of torso twists, no weight and vaccums. Abs is the only thing I don't use weights on. I train once a week on average, 10-20 sets plus 3-500 torso twists and 10 mins total vaccums split up between sets

Some weeks I will hit certain muscle group twice, the rotation always changes. Also I may just throw in a pump day and alter the weights and rest times. It depends. Even on a cut I like to train heavy so I will minimize the volume and take more rest or lightweight days to ensure I fully recover and can hit it heavy next time. Ive learned to push hard then pull back when my body tells me. Also I pay attentiont to my CNS.

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
I like what I'm reading so far guys.

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
Oyeah, also the forum noobs. RugbyBaller91 and Kiwigear

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ahhhh....where to start. I like to keep things somewhat simple, but really I'm just after results.

Current routine looks like:

Day 1
Legs
Squats: 1 warm up set, 1 set to failure, (often a drop set to failure at each drop)
Leg Extensions: 1 set to failure (often a drop set to failure at each drop)
Leg Presses: 1 set to failure
Calf Presses: 3 sets to failure

Day 2
Chest & Biceps
Incline Dumbbell Flyes, 1 warm up, 1 set to failure
Barbell Bench Press - 1 set to failure (often a drop set to failure at each drop)
Dips - Bodyweight, 1 set to failure

Barbell Curls: 1 warm up, 1 set to failure
Cable Curls: 1 set to failure (often a drop set to failure at each drop)

Day 3: off

Day 4:
Back
Deadlifts: 1 warmup set, 1 set to failure ((often a drop set to failure at each drop)
Pull Ups: 1 set to failure
Bent Over Rows: 1 set to failure
Under-Handed Pull Downs: 1 set to failure

Day 5:
Shoulders & Triceps
Military Presses: 1 warm up, 1 set to failure (often a drop set to failure at each drop)
Dumbbell Presses: 1 set to failure
Dumbbell Side Laterals: 1 set to failure
Rope Face Pulls: 1 set to failure

Tricep Rope Press Downs: 1 warm up, 1 set to failure (often a drop set to failure at each drop)
Lying French Presses: 1 set to failure

Day 6 & 7 off

As you can see, I carry each set to failure. I use 3-4 seconds up, 2 second pause contracted, 3-4 seconds down as my cadence on most exercises. I go until I literally cannot get another rep and often keep trying anyway, and if I do get the rep after trying (which happens quite a bit), I hold it in the contracted position as long as possible most times and lower it as slow as possible on the last rep.

I don't have a set schedule for my workout, like Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday. If I have to throw in an extra rest day, I do. If I can cut out a rest day, I do. I basically try to make sure I wait long enough for my workout to be better than my last, although lately that isn't the case because of the diet.

I will often increase to 2 working sets instead of 1 - but this routine on either 1 or 2 sets per exercise has gotten me more than any other routine I've tried.

I often consider trying a different approach. Maybe more volume, lighter weights (I typically get 5-8 reps per set before failure) so that I don't tax recovery so much but still stimulate growth...but I just like to push as hard as possible and I find that if I back off, I wind up either trying to push to hard again too soon (i.e. doing 5X5 and increasing weights too fast so that I'm back in the 85-90% range squatting every day and killing myself) or I don't push hard enough.

I often consider trying to find a split that allows me to train in more of a whole body fashion, or half and half, etc. but this split just seems to work well for me.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Don't have a"routine" - it's more a method.
Could be hard to explain, I'll give it a try.
For me it's ALL about exhaustion. Every single time.
NO MATTER if lower weights- with lot of reps -or heavy weights with 6-8 reps. Doing both.

- 4-5 workout days, 60-90 minutes
-Every body part two times a week but using different exercises
-Every set to failure
-At least one heavy set each workout with 3-6 reps to failure, if I achieve more than 5 reps, it was not heavy
-days I feel weak: 60-70% of max weights, doing lots of rest pause sets (pauses between sets 10 sec.) 4-6 exercises/ to exhaustion
-days I feel strong: 3-4 exercises per day in marathon fashion (doing up to 10+ sets each at different weights, heavy too), super sets, drop sets
extreme self punishment, until total exhaustion

Examples in my training log:
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/277737-hairygrandpas-log-fat.html

UncleSarm

UncleSarm

Awards
  • Established
I prefer compound movements, like snatch and press, pull ups, split stance cable row, leg press machine with toe extension.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
I don't have a set routine other than M-F. I am married with children so sometimes life precludes what I can do in any given session. I base my splits on my week point. I also have to work hard to maintain my strength. If I don't do my heavy sets I suffer strength loss inexplicable strength loss.

Mon is quad dominant starting with either front squats or back squats. I will work in pause squats and high rep squats at the end of my working sets. I will do everything from leg press, single-leg leg press, barbell hack squats, Bulgarian squats and leg extensions. I like supersets and tri sets. I will hold peak contractions for a couple of counts. I will also really slow down the negative.

Tues is chest. Mostly upper chest movements with dips and db bench mixed in. I like pause sets, rest pause sets, supersets

Wed: back...normally start with a heavy row or pull ups. I like to do behind-the-neck pull ups and move to doing them to the front then doing them with a v-bar for the close grip. A lot of one arm movements with peak contraction holds

Thurs is shoulders and tris. A lot of presses, z press is my favorite. Laterals to the side and front raises. Doing the movements from different angles. Tri-sets when I am pressed for time. Tris are short rest periods and 8-12 reps

Fri is hamstring dominant with some type of deadlift. Leg curls at different angles, RDLs, and reverse lunged on occasion

Everything is fluid and based on time and how I feel. First exercise is normally 4-5 sets, 4-8 reps. Second is a little higher rep range and the third and fourth exercises are higher still

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Currently on 5-6 day split

Monday/back:
Cable pull overs on incline bench/lat pull downs 5 sets
bent over bar bell row 5 sets
upright row 5 sets
ultra wide dumbbell upright row 5 sets
face down incline bench rows (neutral grip and wide grip) 5 sets
low cable row finisher drop sets

Tuesday/chest:
7 sets cable flies 2 upper, 2 lower, 3 mid
incline bench or incline dumbbell 5 sets
flat bench dumbbell press 5 sets
incline flies 3 sets
incline hex press 3 sets
dips/decline bench finisher 3-5 sets

Wednesday/legs/hamstring focus:
back squats-pyramid 5 sets
hamstring kick backs 5 sets
leg press sled 5 sets
lying leg curl 5 sets
optional deadlift day 5 sets

Thursday/shoulders
OHBB press 5 sets
lateral raises 3 sets
rear delt flies on incline bench 3 sets
rear delt cable flies 3 sets
iso shoulder press 5 sets
bent over rear lateral raise 3 sets
upright row 3 sets

Friday/legs/quads

Front squats 5 sets
leg extensions 5 sets
sometimes i do the ladies' thigh machines 3-5 sets
hack squats 5 sets

Saturday/arms:

cable bicep curls/cable reverse grip tricep pull downs 5 sets
cable tricep push downs/cable reverse grip curl
spider curls/overhead seated tricep press 5 sets
preacher curls machine/tricep machine 5 sets
hammer curl and dumbbell skull crusher finished 3-5 sets

Hope you give it a shot :)

Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here is the split I am currently doing. Mon-Fri goes

Back Power / Chest Accessory
Shoulder Pressing / Leg Accessory
Arms / Abs
Leg Power (or Deads) / Shoulder Raises (no arm involvement)
Chest Power / Back Accessory

75 minutes average of weights, followed by 30 minutes of various cardio or HIIT. I do abs more than just on Arm Day, but hit them hard then.

I never do the same exercises in successive weeks for the given workout. OHP 1 week, DB Press the next, Smith Military the next, etc.

Flat Bench for power 1 week, Incline DB the next, Weighted Dips the next, etc. etc.

Rotate between Weighted Pull Ups, Kroc Rows and Pendlay Rows as my primary Back Power moves.

Generally rotate weeks for heavy Deads and Squats. So if doing heavy Deads on Leg Power day, I'll do Volume Squats on Leg Acc day. If doing heavy Squats on Leg Power day I'll do a lot of extensions and leg curls on accessory day.

So basically I mix it the Fuk up!!

All accessory work is rotated and non-repeatative week to week as well. I do a lot of Giant Sets for the Accessory muscle groups, so some exercises may repeat the following week, but never the same grouping in a Giant set.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
4 day split Sheiko modified with hypertrophy work, benching 3-4 times a week, 2-3 times deadlift, 2-3 times squat

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
I will post some more routines when I have some time.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
Here is the split I am currently doing. Mon-Fri goes

Back Power / Chest Accessory
Shoulder Pressing / Leg Accessory
Arms / Abs
Leg Power (or Deads) / Shoulder Raises (no arm involvement)
Chest Power / Back Accessory

75 minutes average of weights, followed by 30 minutes of various cardio or HIIT. I do abs more than just on Arm Day, but hit them hard then.

I never do the same exercises in successive weeks for the given workout. OHP 1 week, DB Press the next, Smith Military the next, etc.

Flat Bench for power 1 week, Incline DB the next, Weighted Dips the next, etc. etc.

Rotate between Weighted Pull Ups, Kroc Rows and Pendlay Rows as my primary Back Power moves.

Generally rotate weeks for heavy Deads and Squats. So if doing heavy Deads on Leg Power day, I'll do Volume Squats on Leg Acc day. If doing heavy Squats on Leg Power day I'll do a lot of extensions and leg curls on accessory day.

So basically I mix it the Fuk up!!

All accessory work is rotated and non-repeatative week to week as well. I do a lot of Giant Sets for the Accessory muscle groups, so some exercises may repeat the following week, but never the same grouping in a Giant set.
I heard my name in a routine and saw it was you! yes to everything above here

DennisTheDane

DennisTheDane

Awards
  • Established
hairygrandpa Sparkss sparks2012 Alpha1agreda lifted67 UncleSarm smith_69 bighulksmash CJNator Tank999 BamBam0319 MrKleen73 THE MONSTAR Thiefcatcher Gutterpump HIT4ME thebigt RegisterJr wasme Jebrook Toren DennisTheDane Captn_the NutraChem ax1 Famine Rocket3015 Volvo140G Hastur lukehayd Dma378 EMPIREMIND john.pattersonTagger Woody
These are just some tags of members whos routines I would like to hear.
My routine is working out 5 days a week.. 2 days cardio. And 3 fullbody... And i add on a few diffrent thing each time,.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sub.

I'll post my thoughts on training in the AM.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Great stuff guys! I will say while everyone loves a good pump understanding the goal your seeking with the program your using is important to include if possible. Also order of exercises in relation to strength/power output from start to beginning of the session

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Currently running a higher volume approach to help speed up the process of a cut. As follows:

Chest/Back - All Movements Super Set, 1 Back then 1 chest. I'll choose 3-4 movements listed and run through them every few sessions. (Pulls and at least one BB press are fit into each session)

Rack Pulls or Deficit Deads - Switch each session
Weighted Pull-ups
Lat Pulldown w/ Various Grip Attachments
DB Rows - Single Arm or Both @ same time lying prone on incline bench
Seated Cable Rows
Incline/Decline/Flat BB or DB
Hex Press - Incline or Flat
Pec Deck
Cable Flyes - High, Med, Low
Dips - Focus on Pec Minors
DB Pullovers
Floor Press

Legs - Usually a shorter, but very intense session using 4-5 exercise, Supersetting when practical (Will also cycle through accessory movements but squats are a mainstay. Trying out 10x10's on squats now, did those with back squats a few days ago, and then again with front squats today. Accessory work is considerably less when doing 10x10's)
Front/Back Squats - Pauses, Drops, etc.
Sled Leg Press
Vertical Leg Press on Smith Machine
Leg Extension/Curl
Seated Calf Raise
BB Lunges/DB walking lunges
DB Sumo Squats
Stiff Leg Deads

Delts/Arms - Focusing more on raises than presses right now, going for more contractions than just just moving weight. I'll incorporate 1 press (2 if I'm feeling that I need to) with the rest of the delt work being raises. I usually superset some Delt movement with a bi/tri exercise, or will superset everything with a movement for rear delts. 3-4 exercises for delts/3-4 for arms.

Arnold Press
Standing Single Arm DB Press
Mil Press
Standing BB Press/Bradford Press - hairygrandpa 's "challenge"
Banded Seated DB Press
Cable/Plate/DB Front, Side, & Rear Delt Raises
Reverse Pec Deck
Face Pulls
BB/DB Shrugs
Preacher Curls
Cable Machine w/ Various Attachments for bi/tri movements
Hammer Curls
Skullcrushers Flat/Incline
OH DB Tri Extension
BB/DB Curls

Strong focus on hypertrophy and getting the most out of the contractions and negative phases right now. Main movements are generally between 6-12 reps aside from the 10x10's. Rest days aren't scheduled, if I'm feeling beat up I'll take a day off. No more than 1 day in a row unless circumstances out of my control prevail. Cardio is done fasted, a simple 1.5-3 mile run with my dog in the mornings, sometimes a short ruck session after legs. No direct ab work as of right now. Like I said above, I'll cycle through movements I didn't hit the previous session but at least 1-2 movements are kept constant. I'm sure I forgot some moves I'll do, but that's the gist of it.

Edit: Sorry guys, it's after 5 in the morning. I'll typically do anywhere from 3-5 sets unless otherwise specified. A lot of my training is based on "feel" and I've had consistent progress training that way. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Haha

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A lot of my training is based on "feel" and I've had consistent progress training that way. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Haha
Same here!
:drunk:

bdavid

bdavid

Awards
Do any of yall structure your workouts differently if you're using PHs and such than if you are all natty? I heard on cycle you get better gains doing high rep routines to get as much blood into the muscle as possible, but if you're natty it's more beneficial to go the high weight low rep scheme?

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Do any of yall structure your workouts differently if you're using PHs and such than if you are all natty? I heard on cycle you get better gains doing high rep routines to get as much blood into the muscle as possible, but if you're natty it's more beneficial to go the high weight low rep scheme?
I didn't change much when I ran PH's. After they kick in, you're able to notice based off your performance in the gym. So my endurance, strength, pumps, etc. increased which made my current routine more productive. It's all about what you're training for IMO. Of course, I use a mix of set/rep schemes so I see benefits of both training styles.

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
I do a split routine focusing on high reps with medium weight at the moment. I do a different combination of the workouts each day so my body doesn't get used to the exact same routine each week.

Monday - Back/Biceps/Abs
Barbell Curl 5x 15-20
Dumbell Curl 5x 15
Barbell Row 3x 15-20
Dumbell Row 3x 15-20
Incline DB Curl 5x 15-20
Hammer Curl 5x 15-20
BW/Inverted Row 5x 15-20
Deadlift 3x 8-15
Pull-ups 3x failure

Tuesday - Chest/Triceps/Abs
Bench Press 5x 12-15
Tricep Extension 3x 15-20
Dip 3x 10-15
Dumbell Press 3x 15-20
Military Press 3x 10-15
Incline Press 3x 15-20
Push-up 5x 25
Arnold Press 3x 15-20

Wednesday - Legs
Squat 5x 8-12
Leg Press 5x 10-15
Calf Raise 3x 15-20
Run/Jog 2 - 3 miles

Thursday - Back/Biceps/Abs
Same as Monday's but different routine

Friday - Chest/Triceps/Abs
Same as Tuesday but different routine

Saturday - Legs
Most/All Wednesday workouts

Sunday - Rest
I usually need to rest after Saturday's Leg

Also, I do Abs everyday except Leg day. Shoulder workouts I usually throw in with Chest/Tricep day.

Abs:
Twisting Crunches 5x 25
Hanging Crunches 4x 25
Hanging Leg Raises 4x 20
Machine Crunches 4x 15

I not to use machines unless I'm just mixing it up. Basically all of my workouts are done with free weights.