Training with bulged discs

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have been battling a bad back for around 12 years now. Had an MRI done last month on the lower back and have an MRI for the upper on Tuesday. Lower results show bulged discs from L1-S1 and signs of degenerative spine disease. Symptoms and locked up backs seem to be happening more frequently now. I train 5 days a week but am having a hard time this month since my back keeps going out on me. Is there certain exercises I should stay away from? Or certain exercises I should be concentrating on? On Friday I went in to train Chest and Biceps and had to have my wife help me to the bathroom the pain was so bad I could barely walk. After lots of pain meds and chiro/massage I am able to move again. Any advice from people with bad backs?

Thanks

macwad

Awards
  • Established
I have the same problem. Almost had to go to surgery. What I do is to avoid heavy weights above my waist, which would press the discs. You have to be creative and adapt a lot of exercises. I did that and Im free from any pain. I also suggest reading about lower back stretching from a doctor called Mckenzie

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I just successfully completed a back workout today without messing my back up. Basically dropped 30-40% of the weight I was lifting and really slowed down the reps. 4x10 and actually got a pretty decent workout. I guess I may just have to live with the fact my back will never be able to go heavy.