Crossfit opinions as cardio

YouBet33

YouBet33

Awards
Hey guys, currently sitting around 260lb for body weight, never been stronger in my life bench is at 385, squat is 505, I am looking at starting some crossfit type workouts to help me cut, my week would include 2-3 crossfit workouts a week, and still get my big three lifts in throughout the week. Just wondering people's opinions, I hope I don't get ripped to pieces for bringing up crossfit haha, just want to get an open discussion on pros and cons of it . Cardio while lifting weights sounds a hell lot better than just start cardio! And so it begins

Khazima

Khazima

Awards
Sounds great, especially if you enjoy it. I'd do circuit training for my cardio if it wasn't going to effect my lifts that day/the next day, say i've got chest the next day and i do a heap of overhead pressing in my circuit training then my shoulders are already going to be burnt out. So it really depends on where your priorities lay.

I prefer to box, although i haven't had the time this cut. To me that's high enough on the enjoyment list for me to risk sore ribs and shoulders the next day.

Also, you'll want to keep up the volume on all your bodyparts if your goal is to lose fat and maintain muscle. Crossfit will help with that but it's not going to be complete, you'll still need to row more, hit some extra chest/back/side and rear delts/calves/direct arm work.

YouBet33

YouBet33

Awards
Sounds great, especially if you enjoy it. I'd do circuit training for my cardio if it wasn't going to effect my lifts that day/the next day, say i've got chest the next day and i do a heap of overhead pressing in my circuit training then my shoulders are already going to be burnt out. So it really depends on where your priorities lay.

I prefer to box, although i haven't had the time this cut. To me that's high enough on the enjoyment list for me to risk sore ribs and shoulders the next day.

Also, you'll want to keep up the volume on all your bodyparts if your goal is to lose fat and maintain muscle. Crossfit will help with that but it's not going to be complete, you'll still need to row more, hit some extra chest/back/side and rear delts/calves/direct arm work.
Yup planning on still hitting extra bi/tri and rowing , prob do strength based 5x5 programs like madcow on top of my 2-3 crossfit workouts a week

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
I do metcons for cardio. Been doing crossfit for about 2 years and love it. I go through periods where I just focus on metcons and other times when I focus on lifting with one or two metcons during the week. It pairs very well with 5/3/1. The key for you is programming. Make sure the metcons don't interfere with your weights. This means choosing the right exercises and volume. Good luck!

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
Why not just do sprints?
I think he wants to incorporate weights into his cardio. Otherwise, sprints will certainly get the job done. I also have a love/hate (mostly hate) relationship with the Air Dyne/Assault Bike

Burnfire

Burnfire

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think he wants to incorporate weights into his cardio. Otherwise, sprints will certainly get the job done. I also have a love/hate (mostly hate) relationship with the Air Dyne/Assault Bike
You could do your weight training and do burpees in between sets.

Burnfire

Burnfire

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Doing anything anaerobic between sets is not a good idea while following 5x5 or any other strength program.
Righteous. I went years in prison with people telling me that what I was doing was wrong.. All I can say is everyone is different and have different needs.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
OP - I started doing the exact same, incorporated 2 crossfit workouts a week into my routine. I was training Westside 4 Skinny Bastards but I had to stop this and re-program.

I'm currently squating and benching twice a week. Crossfit has plenty of OH work and a ****load of volume. I add in extra volume work once a week, for vanity, but my bench days also have a crapload of volume work once I'm done with my maximal lifting. I also add in additional cardio on my off-days by means of rowing/core circuits.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Righteous. I went years in prison with people telling me that what I was doing was wrong.. All I can say is everyone is different and have different needs.
When you're following a strength template, you cannot be prefatigued as it limits potential output. If he wants to increase his caloric output, then do so at a more appropriate time, but not between sets during a 5x5.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The reasons I chose crossfit over hill sprints or similar is pretty easy:

It's fun, it's dynamic, it's teaching me a crapload about oly lifting, oly lifting is addictive, most of the people involved in crossfit are ultra-driven motivated people and it's a great environment. The workouts are far more intense than hill sprinting, and I love a good challenge. Crossfit offers far more benefits than simply cardiovascular benefits. It was a pretty easy decision for me join.

I purchased an unlimited membership and do all of my lifting there because they have (and most boxes have) great amenities like prowlers, sleds, and everything else a powerlifter would want (bands, chains, etc). I also refuse to lift with anything other than oly plates/bumper plates now. Can't find these at any old gym.

YouBet33

YouBet33

Awards
Bottom line. I hate running sprints, etc. so I'm just trying to get my heart rate up , constantly moving and and changing things up every week. I hate doing the same running week after week. Thanks for all the input, love the convo going on here

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The reasons I chose crossfit over hill sprints or similar is pretty easy:

It's fun, it's dynamic, it's teaching me a crapload about oly lifting, oly lifting is addictive, most of the people involved in crossfit are ultra-driven motivated people and it's a great environment. The workouts are far more intense than hill sprinting, and I love a good challenge. Crossfit offers far more benefits than simply cardiovascular benefits. It was a pretty easy decision for me join.

I purchased an unlimited membership and do all of my lifting there because they have (and most boxes have) great amenities like prowlers, sleds, and everything else a powerlifter would want (bands, chains, etc). I also refuse to lift with anything other than oly plates/bumper plates now. Can't find these at any old gym.
That's true that there's other benefits such as padding the pockets of PTs and DCs.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That's true that there's other benefits such as padding the pockets of PTs and DCs.
I don't quite get your post, other than it being anti-crossfit. I don't have a personal trainer, nor do I purchase personal training sessions. Not to mention, Crossfit does have coaches, but their coaches don't make much money. Their pockets aren't getting 'lined'. They do it for the love of what they do, not to get rich.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't quite get your post, other than it being anti-crossfit. I don't have a personal trainer, nor do I purchase personal training sessions. Not to mention, Crossfit does have coaches, but their coaches don't make much money. Their pockets aren't getting 'lined'. They do it for the love of what they do, not to get rich.
I meant physical therapists and chiropractors. The irony of CF is that there isn't people go because of the randomness when it's that in and of itself that is the problem, but that's what happens when your founder is clueless on training.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I meant physical therapists and chiropractors. The irony of CF is that there isn't people go because of the randomness when it's that in and of itself that is the problem, but that's what happens when your founder is clueless on training.
Sigh, here we go again :) It's up to each individual box to lay out their own programming. There is no 'great leader from above' who dictates programming. On top of this, the individual is responsible for themselves, and their own programming. Going to 3 classes in a row that have a ton of OH volume for example, well this can only be blamed on the stupidity of the trainer, not the coach. Crossfit is also designed so that everything can be scaled. If you don't scale because your ego is too big, and you fail ie: get injured, well it's your own damn fault, not Crossfit's.

Crossfit has greatly increased my a) mobility b) strength (I was first introduced to crossfit through a barbell club at a crossfit location). It has greatly improved my form. All this without purchasing a single personal training session. It must really bother personal trainers like yourself. I am certain this is where a lot of the hate comes from.

I spend $175 a month on my unlimited membership, which is an amazing price in NYC. It costs less than my last membership at Equinox. Most personal training sessions cost somewhere around 50-100 dollars plus each session. Personal trainers are really losing out with the popularity of Crossfit these days, aren't they.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sigh, here we go again :) It's up to each individual box to lay out their own programming. There is no 'great leader from above' who dictates programming. On top of this, the individual is responsible for themselves, and their own programming. Going to 3 classes in a row that have a ton of OH volume for example, well this can only be blamed on the stupidity of the trainer, not the coach. Crossfit is also designed so that everything can be scaled. If you don't scale because your ego is too big, and you fail ie: get injured, well it's your own damn fault, not Crossfit's.

Crossfit has greatly increased my a) mobility b) strength (I was first introduced to crossfit through a barbell club at a crossfit location). It has greatly improved my form. All this without purchasing a single personal training session. It must really bother personal trainers like yourself. I am certain this is where a lot of the hate comes from.

I spend $175 a month on my unlimited membership, which is an amazing price in NYC. It costs less than my last membership at Equinox. Most personal training sessions cost somewhere around 50-100 dollars plus each session. Personal trainers are really losing out with the popularity of Crossfit these days, aren't they.
Same song, different verse. It's the responsibility of the coach for programming. Bottom line. You can't call yourself a coach and then say you're not responsible for programming. The average trainee isn't going to understand imbalances and what programming even is. It is also on the coach to make sure the trainee is using appropriate intensity.

CF has had no implications on my training clientele as my base is either competitors, people interested in total strength training (CF neglects an entire plane), or those that need corrective movements (e.g. postural deviations).

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Same song, different verse. It's the responsibility of the coach for programming. Bottom line. You can't call yourself a coach and then say you're not responsible for programming. The average trainee isn't going to understand imbalances and what programming even is. It is also on the coach to make sure the trainee is using appropriate intensity.

CF has had no implications on my training clientele as my base is either competitors, people interested in total strength training (CF neglects an entire plane), or those that need corrective movements (e.g. postural deviations).
I would never go to classes every single day and blindly follow everything that's prescribed. Crossfit classes aren't intended for people to be training in them 6-7 days a week straight non-stop.

They also aren't intended to be followed as prescribed, unless maybe you are a Crossfit games competitor. You clearly don't know all that much about it. Better to just let people do their thing instead of putting them down.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would never go to classes every single day and blindly follow everything that's prescribed. Crossfit classes aren't intended for people to be training in them 6-7 days a week straight non-stop.

They also aren't intended to be followed as prescribed, unless maybe you are a Crossfit games competitor. You clearly don't know all that much about it. Better to just let people do their thing instead of putting them down.
All I hear is that it's the responsibility of the member/client to know what they're doing when it's the exact opposite. The coach is responsible for every workout done and every injury incurred at their facility.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
All I hear is that it's the responsibility of the member/client to know what they're doing when it's the exact opposite. The coach is responsible for every workout done and every injury incurred at their facility.
My old gym had daily classes, with several members in each class. Do you think the coach is responsible to know how many days each member trained in their classes? That's ridiculous, I've never heard of this in my life. A personal trainer is responsible for their clients, yes. But group classes? Do you know how many members there are? There's a reason I'm paying $175 a month instead of each session. Common sense man. There is also a personal injury waiver that needs to be signed. But if you knew a thing about Crossfit, you would know this.

And if you don't like Crossfit, don't do it. Pretty simple right? There are thousands of people who enjoy it, without having to hear others tell them that their own way of training is superior. People have their own reasons for doing things. Do you, and let others do their own thing. No reason to be negative/hateful about it. Much easier to just not bother with it..

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My old gym had daily classes, with several members in each class. Do you think the coach is responsible to know how many days each member trained in their classes? That's ridiculous, I've never heard of this in my life. A personal trainer is responsible for their clients, yes. But group classes? Do you know how many members there are? There's a reason I'm paying $175 a month instead of each session. Common sense man. There is also a personal injury waiver that needs to be signed. But if you knew a thing about Crossfit, you would know this.

And if you don't like Crossfit, don't do it. Pretty simple right? There are thousands of people who enjoy it, without having to hear others tell them that their own way of training is superior. People have their own reasons for doing things. Do you, and let others do their own thing. No reason to be negative/hateful about it. Much easier to just not bother with it..
I thought that each box was a small community? If so, then yes, it is the responsibility of the coach. That's why you're they're ****ing COACH. No clue what an injury waiver has to do with that other than it sounds like you're shifting the blame to the client...again.

Notice how I didn't say anything about a superior method or that CF is awful, which it is. Seriously, you CF'ers get so butthurt over a dissenting opinion.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
There is more than one coach at each box. I train with about 4-6 coaches myself and I only do 2 classes a week. Get real dude they aren't there to hold your hand and pretend like you're a baby. They are there to help you train, they aren't personal trainers, and signing a waiver means they are not responsible for your injuries. None of your arguments or 'dissenting opinions' even make sense or hold up. You just sound jaded as hell man. Good luck with that

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There is more than one coach at each box. I train with about 4-6 coaches myself and I only do 2 classes a week. Get real dude they aren't there to hold your hand and pretend like you're a baby. They are there to help you train, they aren't personal trainers, and signing a waiver means they are not responsible for your injuries. None of your arguments or 'dissenting opinions' even make sense or hold up. You just sound jaded as hell man. Good luck with that
Even less of an excuse if anyone gets hurt, but they do...all the time. The waiver still doesn't mean anything (trust me, I've been through this claim) as negligence is so easy to claim and get awarded, but the coach is still responsible either way especially when it's all non-contact. The only "arguments" you've thrown out have been fallacious (e.g. red herring) as you continue to support that joke of a "system" known as CrossFit. Like I said, they're wonderful if you're a chiropractor or a physical therapist. Ever notice how many are in close proximity of a box? Think that's a coincidence?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
How many times are you going to repeat the same thing? I took you for a moody guy here in the past, but not a douchbag. Likely has something to do with your "3 year cycle" you've been on. We get it, you don't like crossfit. Now carry on.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How many times are you going to repeat the same thing? I took you for a moody guy here in the past, but not a douchbag. Likely has something to do with your "3 year cycle" you've been on. We get it, you don't like crossfit. Now carry on.
Now we've gotten to the ad hominem section of the fallacious BS. I have to repeat myself because you fail to know the coach/trainee paradigm. You clearly don't know all that much about it.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You win Rodja! You should write a book about crossfit, you'll get your msg out much stronger that way instead of coming at people on the internets!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You win Rodja! You should write a book about crossfit, you'll get your msg out much stronger that way instead of coming at people on the internets!
Nah, I'll just remain an anonymous, bitter personal trainer that hates on CF because its making me go broke.

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
The metcons are a great way to do conditioning work without having to do the mundane traditional cardio. For every figure competition I ever did, I always prepped with metcons and giant circuits. I never once stepped on a treadmill, elliptical, or treadmill in the 4 years that I competed. Not even 1 single time.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The metcons are a great way to do conditioning work without having to do the mundane traditional cardio. For every figure competition I ever did, I always prepped with metcons and giant circuits. I never once stepped on a treadmill, elliptical, or treadmill in the 4 years that I competed. Not even 1 single time.
Agreed. Running is boring, unless it involves obstacles.

I powerlift & bodybuild for strength and size. Crossfit I do for endurance, cardio and fun.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
dang it, looks like I missed a xfit thread :(

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hate airdyne sprints with every ounce of my being, lol.
im actually about to go do some as a break from studying

20/10 FTW!

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
airdyne sprints FTW!
I've yet to experience these. My gym is opening a new box strictly for oly/powerlifting with a 2nd floor for airdyne bikes. Going to be open soon, I keep hearing how much these airdyne bikes kick your ass hehe

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
they are just so insanely time efficient

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
they are just so insanely time efficient
This.

Even though I hate them, I do love them because of how insanely hard they are. I used to think I hated rowing. Nah. Rowing is a walk in the park compared to the airdyne. You almost laugh the first time you hop on one. You start to pedal and push and you don't log a single calorie for a good 10 sec. You sit there just contemplating life as you realize how long you're about to be on that damn thing. The first time I ever encountered one was actually in the finals during a competition. We had to do 30 cals on the airdyne before we could move onto muscle-ups. I almost cried.