5 x 5 program?

HenriqueMeneg

HenriqueMeneg

Awards
I'm a huge fan of high reps sets, drop sets, super sets and last program I followed focused on 8 positives + 6 negatives. Since the program ended and I will start a new one been thinking to give a try to a lower reps program.

Breaking up my routine can be positive for muscle growth? My main concern on fewer reps programs is because it's focused on strength and I want muscle growth and pump, but on the other hand been doing high reps sets for a long time and maybe breaking up this routine can be positive.

Any suggestion of a good 5 x 5 program? I checked Strong Lifts program but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. I'm looking to workout 1 muscle per day and do around 4 or 5 exercises per muscle.

Any other suggestion for a muscle pump/growth routine is welcome.

Thanks,

EpicThighGrl2

EpicThighGrl2

Awards
When you say 4-5 exercises per muscle, do you mean you want to do all of those 4-5 exercises in a 5x5 program style?

5x5 style programs are generally used to build strength, which will result in some good muscle growth, but you'll be lifting some really heavy weights (i.e. ones you can only lift for 5 reps) in compound moves. So I would wager that you can't do 4-5 exercises for the same muscle in the same day in a 5x5 program.

Btw., I've used Stronglifts (and am now using a similar program with slightly different exercises than Stronglifts) with great success. I used to love high volume programs, but my body seems to respond better to the 5x5 style. I probably gained around 3 lbs of muscle and some good definition (if that seems low, I'm female and 'testosterone-challenged' ;) ). Though it takes a while to see a difference.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Why not simply do 1-2 power exercises and 2-3 hypertrophy exercises each workout? Get the best of both worlds. For example- chest:
BB Bench-5x3-5
Weighted dips-3x5-8
Incline db press- 3x8-12
Db fly-3x12-15
Hammer strength (incl/deck/flat)- 2x15-20

HenriqueMeneg

HenriqueMeneg

Awards
When you say 4-5 exercises per muscle, do you mean you want to do all of those 4-5 exercises in a 5x5 program style?
Yes.

5x5 style programs are generally used to build strength, which will result in some good muscle growth, but you'll be lifting some really heavy weights (i.e. ones you can only lift for 5 reps) in compound moves. So I would wager that you can't do 4-5 exercises for the same muscle in the same day in a 5x5 program.
I guess I wouldn't be following the program correctly, since I don't train with a partner there would be no one to help me on the pushes, so I could not go heavy enough to the point of almost failure on the last rep.

Btw., I've used Stronglifts (and am now using a similar program with slightly different exercises than Stronglifts) with great success. I used to love high volume programs, but my body seems to respond better to the 5x5 style. I probably gained around 3 lbs of muscle and some good definition (if that seems low, I'm female and 'testosterone-challenged' ;) ). Though it takes a while to see a difference.
What program are you following now? Got a link?

Why not simply do 1-2 power exercises and 2-3 hypertrophy exercises each workout? Get the best of both worlds. For example- chest:
BB Bench-5x3-5
Weighted dips-3x5-8
Incline db press- 3x8-12
Db fly-3x12-15
Hammer strength (incl/deck/flat)- 2x15-20
Yes, I like the idea. Keep the fundamental exercises like BP, Deadlift, Squat at 5 x 5 and add some complementary exercises at 3 x 12/15 for the pump. One other thing I'm considering are drop sets (5 + 5 + 5) which join both words at the same set.

For a routine mixing both worlds, what would be an ideal workout day? Planning to do 2 exercises of 5 x 5 plus 3 exercises of 3 x 12/15 per big muscle and 1 of 5 x 5 + 2 of 3 x 12/15 for smaller ones.

Mon - Chest
Tue - Legs
Wed - Shoulders
Thu - Rest / (Short workout for calfs only)
Fri - Arms
Sat - Back
Sun - Rest

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Exactly what you said looks good (sets/reps wise). For days, I wouldn't put arms before back as you could seriously limit your back work by having fatigued biceps. I would just swap those two days and go for that layout.

HenriqueMeneg

HenriqueMeneg

Awards
Yes, you are right. Will leave arms to Sat, should be my longest day as I will be doing 3 biceps + 3 triceps + 2 forearm but will try to get it done under 1 hour.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Yes, you are right. Will leave arms to Sat, should be my longest day as I will be doing 3 biceps + 3 triceps + 2 forearm but will try to get it done under 1 hour.
You could cut the time down a ton by super setting the hyper exercises. That'll give you and unbelievable full arm pump too. That's always how I do it.

EpicThighGrl2

EpicThighGrl2

Awards
What program are you following now? Got a link?
I don't have a link. I basically took the Stronglifts program, and changed some of the exercises. So I still follow the style of alternating between workout A and B with at least one day rest in between. For the A and B workout I'll do the following:
Workout A:
-heavy squats (4x5)
-presses (5x5)
-pull ups (4x3)

Workout B:
-lighter squats (1x5)
-splits squats (3x8)
-narrow grip bench (3x5)
-barbell rows (5x5)

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don't have a link. I basically took the Stronglifts program, and changed some of the exercises. So I still follow the style of alternating between workout A and B with at least one day rest in between. For the A and B workout I'll do the following:
Workout A:
-heavy squats (4x5)
-presses (5x5)
-pull ups (4x3)

Workout B:
-lighter squats (1x5)
-splits squats (3x8)
-narrow grip bench (3x5)
-barbell rows (5x5)
This looks like a good routine. Simple and effective. I do something similar.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
I've been having amazing success with push/pull/legs where I do 3x5 of bench/deadlifts/squats and then freestyle bodybuilding split after the strength portion of my routine. Best of both worlds right there!

HenriqueMeneg

HenriqueMeneg

Awards
I've been having amazing success with push/pull/legs where I do 3x5 of bench/deadlifts/squats and then freestyle bodybuilding split after the strength portion of my routine. Best of both worlds right there!
Can you post more details about your program, like series and exercises?

I've been implementing 3 x 6 plus 2 x 8 + 6 (last 6 working on the negative portion) per exercise but not happy with it. So for bench for example, I do 3 x 6 with heavy weights, than I lower the weight for the last two and perform 8 regular + 6 focusing on the negatives.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Sure can. It's been amazingly effective for me. I've put 35lbs on my bench, 55 on my squat, and 70 on my deadlift *5 rep maxs!* in just over 2 months while losing 20lbs of weight. Will post my setup once I'm home from university.