Program for college rugby player

Aesthetic2.0

Awards
Looking for a program suitable for a rugby player, since I was running a high volume split but now that I have practice and games I think I need something different to recover properly for matches. Was thinking about one of Defranco's WS4SB templates on his website. Would that be a good fit for a rugby player?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hell yes it would! Working well for my brother for football through high school and one year of college and now rugby these last couple years.

I'm sure DeFranco has some stuff about in-season training in there, but basically stick to the basics and remember that practice and competition are priority number one in season, so don't overdo it in the gym. Save that for off-season.

The program works and as you gain experience within the framework you will make it work better and better for you.

Aesthetic2.0

Awards
Thanks, I have a question though. I know your supposed to change max effort lifts every couple of lifts but are you supposed to change the repetition effort movements as well? Like for example week 1 and 2 do pushups as max rep movement and dips on 3 and 4, or should I keep the movements the same for the repetition effort?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
For rep effort I would change every time you don't PR. So count your total reps in your three or four sets and try to best it next time. If you don't, switch. That should have you switching every 3-6 weeks.

Aesthetic2.0

Awards
I have another question, on the strength and speed template for off season it says not to go max effort, go 80% for 2x3. Should I still change exercises every couple of weeks even though I wouldn't be working up to a true max on that template?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I have another question, on the strength and speed template for off season it says not to go max effort, go 80% for 2x3. Should I still change exercises every couple of weeks even though I wouldn't be working up to a true max on that template?
If you want, but at that effort you probably don't have to.