Best workout program?

clayboy_123

Awards
Is 5x5 the best overall mass/strength program that you can do on an ongoing basis?

Phelan15

Awards
I don't like it, for size I would go 8-12 reps. Try out mft28 from Greg Plitt or Arnold's blueprint to mass

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Arnold's blueprint is good so is Jay cutlers mass program and Jim stoppanis shortcut to sizsize!

mrsims

mrsims

Awards
Not saying its the "best" but I do a 5 day rotating split. fancy talk for 2 on 1 off. My split is Push/pull/legs but an upper/ lower split is decent too, i just think upper day is too much in one day, but then again arnie would superset chest and back. I will say this... I feel strength training and training for size are seperate goals and you should use periodization, but you could combine the two by doing low reps on the first compound exercises and higher reps on the isolation work. I dont like full body routines for strength/mass or anything really.

clayboy_123

Awards
How about the kris gethin 12 week muscle build or get swole Gregory or train less, grow more?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Whatever program you stick with is what's going to be best for you. There is no "best". Just whatever program fits your needs and desires. I've been on my current program for well over a year.

clayboy_123

Awards
What about if you can only workout 3 days a week?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What about if you can only workout 3 days a week?
You can still make it work. I only lift 4 days a week. The 4th day is just a "whatever is lagging" pump day that I can skip if I feel.

W1
-Monday
Deadlift
-Wednesday
Bench
-Friday
Squat

W2
-Monday
OHP
-Wednesday
Deadlift
-Friday
Bench

And so on and so forth with the rotation.

Or go full body

Monday
Deadlift 5/3/1 or 5x5 whatever protocol
Lunges
DB Bench 3-5x10-20

Wednesday
Bench Press 5/3/1 or 5x5 whatever
Something for hammys/PC
DB Row 3-5x10-20

Friday
Squat – 5/3/1 or 5x5
OHP 5/3/1 or 5x5
Some other rowing/pulling movement

jaces

jaces

Awards
phat(layne norton) is nice and i like the idee of twice a week .. maybe try HST but its for people that like low volume

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Whatever program you stick with is what's going to be best for you. There is no "best". Just whatever program fits your needs and desires. I've been on my current program for well over a year.
I'm with Sean on this and the second post he had in here. Big things are consistency, some progressive overload, and hard work. Many things will work if you stick with them progressing smartly and putting in the work inside the gym. :)

jaces

jaces

Awards
I'm with Sean on this and the second post he had in here. Big things are consistency, some progressive overload, and hard work. Many things will work if you stick with them progressing smartly and putting in the work inside the gym. :)
i will agree with this to a point but there are times were youl have to just gut it out on stuff you dont like doing.. like doing legs or doing bench presses.. i hate doing bench presses but if i just do flys my chest size drops so i like having a big chest and i just focus on that idea of a huge chest and just press that bitch weight up

MrSdrol

MrSdrol

Awards
I've had great results with German Volume training, although the best workout is one you enjoy and one that doesn't make you feel over/under trained. Try out a few and see how you feel after a bit.