Training program recommendations?

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey all,

I've never really followed any training programs. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some? I'm willing to give a couple a go.

I'm advanced, been training on and off for 9 years. I'm 6'0, 92-94kgs 10-12% bf.

Just get bored at gym, I need to start switching it up. Thanks.

travwj

travwj

Awards
  • Established
You haven't told us if you would like to increase strength, size or endurance. What your goals are.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You haven't told us if you would like to increase strength, size or endurance. What your goals are.
Sorry.

To be honest, I think at this stage of my life I constantly want to work on recomp? Mind you, I don't do any cardio. My strength is dependant on my diet, and varies greatly.

Recomp/Size.

I only recently started squatting again as I have some lower back, hip injuries. U only do 60kgs, high rep volume work. I don't deadlift either, but want to try soon.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Look into PHAT.

Its the best of both worlds IMO. You train strength and hypertrophy both throughout the week, each muscle group getting hit twice.

I even bastardized a 6 day version myself last fall and saw the best gains of my life (by far).

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Look into PHAT. Its the best of both worlds IMO. You train strength and hypertrophy both throughout the week, each muscle group getting hit twice. I even bastardized a 6 day version myself last fall and saw the best gains of my life (by far).
This,
You wont regret running PHAT but stick to it the whole way

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This,
You wont regret running PHAT but stick to it the whole way
I'm in week 3 of my prolly 4th time running PHAT. Seeing the best results ever this time, and I had great success before!

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Where can I find this? Sounds awesome if a few people are mentioning it.

I'll stick with it, I can do 12 weeks for sure.

Thanks

travwj

travwj

Awards
  • Established
Just type PHAT into your search engine. It was designed by Layne Norton I think.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Where can I find this? Sounds awesome if a few people are mentioning it.

I'll stick with it, I can do 12 weeks for sure.

Thanks
There's a ton of info on it. Layne's site has a really nice guide for using/setting it up as well (simplyshredded.com)

Inspiration44

Awards
ya man you should check out my youtube channel Dylan Berg Fitness, I have training programs for beginner and intermediates that should help you out:) Make sure to subscribe too:)

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
PHAT looks good, only concern is the heavy days. I have a few bulged discs. I can train heavy upper, but I'm careful with my lower body.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
PHAT looks good, only concern is the heavy days. I have a few bulged discs. I can train heavy upper, but I'm careful with my lower body.
I also have a couple bulged disks in my back, but I really have to tell you - training lower body for strength has tremendously helped. I keep my reps on my 'strength' days to 3 though, and I keep SUPER tight when I squat. I also use a wider stance and a very strong Inzer lever belt. This has strengthened my back tremendously and does not aggravate my disks.

What DOES aggravate my disks are doing high rep squats, as form tends to break down over time. I also tend to go faster on high rep squats, which can also lead to slippage in form. Doing low rep, high weight squats with tight tight form, will be very beneficial for your back. Definitely speak with a sports therapist first though, but I just wanted to share my experience about this with you. I've tried everything over the past two year to be able to squat again, and this has worked for me.

One thing that I have not started back up again though are heavy deadlifts. And if you do choose to deadlift again, I would not do them on the same days that you squat. This will definitely aggravate your back.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Just find power movements that minimize the pressure on your back. Or, like GP said, stay tight and build the supporting muscles up.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just find power movements that minimize the pressure on your back. Or, like GP said, stay tight and build the supporting muscles up.
Any recommendations for power movements?

Yeah, I was doing light high reps. I think I caused some issues by over doing it, then doing hamstrings.

I'm gonna read through the program tonight, I train alone which is another issue.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Any recommendations for power movements?

Yeah, I was doing light high reps. I think I caused some issues by over doing it, then doing hamstrings.

I'm gonna read through the program tonight, I train alone which is another issue.
I train alone as well. Just use the power racks for big movements and set the safety bars.

What power moves are you looking for? The standards are of course squat/dead/bench/ohp

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I train alone as well. Just use the power racks for big movements and set the safety bars.

What power moves are you looking for? The standards are of course squat/dead/bench/ohp
I'm a. It worried about squats and deadlifts. Honestly I haven't trained max heavy in a long time. I always seem to get injuries. I generally do alot of volume. I'll train as per normal this week, while I read up more on this program.

travwj

travwj

Awards
  • Established
I'm a. It worried about squats and deadlifts. Honestly I haven't trained max heavy in a long time. I always seem to get injuries. I generally do alot of volume. I'll train as per normal this week, while I read up more on this program.
I'm similar to you mate, had a couple of lower back injuries and am conscious about my back when lifting. I do Romanian deadlift, as I find it better on my back. Slowly work up your weight in squats. Use a weight that is heavy enough and safe enough not to injure yourself. Dont go flat stick from the start.

IronWarr

Awards
Yeah, i heard lots of good words about PHAT program.. You should try and tell about your gains!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
It's sounds like your problem is not so much with the lifts as it is with your keeping your form (and ego) in check. It's still considered "heavy" if it's the max you can perform for just a few reps WITH PROPER FORM. That's the key. It doesn't have to be 500lb for everyone. 185 can be the 3rm for someone and they will still see progress. It's all relative.

JG93

JG93

Awards
Just touching on booneman, do you wear a belt when doing power lifts?
If not, it takes a little bit to train yourself on how to properly set you abdomen/back to keep you from injuries.
If you wear a belt, is it tight?
I suck in and go one right tighter on my belt.
Squatting on a power rack is ok for me, (I train alone) because you can always drop and leave the bar on the safety bars.
Benching, I don't lock my weight and "IF" I get into a situation to where I can't make the first rack, I can dump weight.
Be careful doing that as it can take you for a spin!
Good luck, lift safe

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Just touching on booneman, do you wear a belt when doing power lifts?
If not, it takes a little bit to train yourself on how to properly set you abdomen/back to keep you from injuries.
If you wear a belt, is it tight?
I suck in and go one right tighter on my belt.
Squatting on a power rack is ok for me, (I train alone) because you can always drop and leave the bar on the safety bars.
Benching, I don't lock my weight and "IF" I get into a situation to where I can't make the first rack, I can dump weight.
Be careful doing that as it can take you for a spin!
Good luck, lift safe
Have never worn a belt in my life. I don't lift for pure strength so it's always been more important for me to build the stabilizing muscles and pay attention to form, rather than "cheat" and use a belt which could potentially allow a weak point to develop.

JG93

JG93

Awards
Exactly, belts are good for power lifting, even with good form and technique.
The thing is, people wear a belt, and don't train the stabilizing muscles. Therefore get hurt. Or use the belt to crutch bad form etc..

You still have to train your hands even if you use wrist straps, same with the belt.