weight versus the "feel" when bulking

jaces

jaces

Awards
so what i was wondering is when you bulk and the main goal is mass do you mainly go for the most amount of weight you can push to failure or do you try and feel the muscle working and squeezing it for a burn??e.g. on a bench press do you load up as much as you can for 6 reps qith good form or do you load up a little bit less but squeeze the pecs for 6...

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Whatever %RM or RPE your program suggests.

I wouldn't just wing it

jaces

jaces

Awards
ive always hated the 1RM% ... had this one program were they say to deadlift 90% of your 1RM for 3 reps... my 1RM for deadlift at the time was 210kg(460lbs) so for 4 weeks i did 190kg(420lbs) for 3... but i could do 5 reps with that... so from then on i didnt realy trust it ...

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
ive always hated the 1RM% ... had this one program were they say to deadlift 90% of your 1RM for 3 reps... my 1RM for deadlift at the time was 210kg(460lbs) so for 4 weeks i did 190kg(420lbs) for 3... but i could do 5 reps with that... so from then on i didnt realy trust it ...
If you exceed the progression rate you can skip ahead

PILL

Awards
This is why I like PHAT. Maximum weight on the strength days and hitting specific muscles and feeling the burn on the hypertrophy days.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When I used to bulk, I took advantage of working in the 90% range a lot because it really allowed me the strength and I was trying to take full advantage to get stronger and not leaner. Typically I would bulk before playing rugby or a muay thai comp (then obviously cut before, but was able to gain weight back very fast immediately after). That worked well for me for many years.

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
i put ti so that i can likely only go 6-7 but try to push 7-9

jaces

jaces

Awards
I've been looking for a bulking program but in highschool i did powerlifting so i prever low reps.. so think i will give the PHAT a try... any tips for it??

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I've been looking for a bulking program but in highschool i did powerlifting so i prever low reps.. so think i will give the PHAT a try... any tips for it??
Just follow the outline

PHAT and PHUL are both widely enjoyed

jaces

jaces

Awards
ill try it.. i enjoyed y3t,and DC training as well as the 8 hour arm workout so anything that gets you to go balls to the wall is good

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
I like auto-self regulation in my training. Aka you work to a training max of the day (not a true 1rm) and then do backoff work based off that weight.

genthoseffect

genthoseffect

Awards
Load up the weight brother! That's what will make you grow...never seen a guy that can rep out 500 on bench that doesnt have a big chest? Me either