How to keep leg strength up while rehabbing

Olestra

Olestra

Awards
So I've had a nagging hip issue (left hip) for a couple weeks now. To explain it breifly, it feels as though there was some undue wear going on the inner (closest to center) half of the socket, if that makes sense. After changing up my stance on squat/deadlift, and switching from a 90 degree to a 45 degree bent over row (for some reason the row was the worst offender), and stretching my glutes and hammies a lot more than usual, I've found some relief, but the irritation lingers. I'm thinking of taking a week or two off of those exercises I mentioned to let it heal.

So my question is: what kind of exercises should I be looking at that will stimulate glutes/hammies/quads without straining the hip? Will leg curls and extensions suffice? Any others I should look into?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjIAS-D7UcY

This says it's glute activation, but I find it also helps with my hips and opening them up some.

Can you do SLDLs? I'd definitely keep it light while rehabbing. Your strength will come back quickly.,.

Olestra

Olestra

Awards
Hey that was a really helpful video. Thanks a ton.

I've never tried single leg DLs like in the video. Or were you referring to straight legged DLs? Those I haven't done recently, but I have a feeling that I might get a negative response from my hip, but not as bad as regular DLs. Have to test that out.

Thinking of just using basically what the guy did in that video as rehab. Or maybe I just cut my weights in half for a couple weeks and see if that helps. Although I honestly think it has more to to with the range of motion at this point than the weight. Hmm.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Hey that was a really helpful video. Thanks a ton.

I've never tried single leg DLs like in the video. Or were you referring to straight legged DLs? Those I haven't done recently, but I have a feeling that I might get a negative response from my hip, but not as bad as regular DLs. Have to test that out.

Thinking of just using basically what the guy did in that video as rehab. Or maybe I just cut my weights in half for a couple weeks and see if that helps. Although I honestly think it has more to to with the range of motion at this point than the weight. Hmm.
I meant stiff-legged. It may not work...

On those split squats he does, I like to hold it in the down position and slowly push my front hip out (slowly dropping the rear knee to the floor). It really gets me loose.

Olestra

Olestra

Awards
I meant stiff-legged. It may not work...

On those split squats he does, I like to hold it in the down position and slowly push my front hip out (slowly dropping the rear knee to the floor). It really gets me loose.
Cool, I'll definitely throw those in to see how they feel for me. I guess my plan as of now is to do "miscellaneous" leg work as I figure out what does or doesn't bother my hip. Of course, if something does bother the hip I'll stop right away and move to the next exercise. Any other excercises people want to throw at me I would greatly appreciate.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
If glucosamine and Vitamin C therapy doesn't do the trick, I'd just baby it for a month or so with lower weights until it healed.