Calves....make them grow

flexfit

flexfit

Awards
I have...huge quads, pretty decent hamstrings, and tiny little bitch calves lol.

I have more than respectable numbers on all the major lifts.

I train calves 2-3 days/week.

They are small lol.

This isn't so much a "tell me what to do" sort of post...more of a "what worked for YOU."

By you, I mean those of you who started of in a similar situation with me (small calves) and were able to add some serious size to them.

I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say!

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Since starting high reps about a year ago, I've noticed growth and separation of calve muscles. I still do heavy standing raises though....that's all I go heavy on.

flexfit

flexfit

Awards
Thanks for the feedback.

What does high reps mean for you? 20...40...etc?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Heavy weight seated and standing one day a week and then a R/P high volume another day in the week. I do back squats one day and front squats another, so I get them in on those days.

Heavy day:
Seated- 6rep x 5
Standing- 6rep x 5

Volume day
Seated- 75 reps R/P taking as many mini sets as needed to complete w/ 10 deep breaths rest between
Standing- same

Stretching has helped tremendously post workout.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Also in to learn a few things

flexfit

flexfit

Awards
Sounds like a solid regimen.

I'll try implementing those rest pause sets...I did a 6 week regimen of 30 rep rest pause for all my major lifts...Holy **** what a pump lol.

In regards to the stretching...I most certainly could use the flexibility...my calves and shins are almost always sore nowadays between heavy deads, squats? Leg presses, and occasionally when I get my heavy ass on the treadmill lol.

Heavy weight seated and standing one day a week and then a R/P high volume another day in the week. I do back squats one day and front squats another, so I get them in on those days.

Heavy day:
Seated- 6rep x 5
Standing- 6rep x 5

Volume day
Seated- 75 reps R/P taking as many mini sets as needed to complete w/ 10 deep breaths rest between
Standing- same

Stretching has helped tremendously post workout.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
How does one decide they have bitch calves haha.. Currently my quads are a tad under 26"... My calfs are 16.5".

Does this make me bitch calfs? Honestly I train calfs around once a month. This is a genuine question, not a brag or anything.. Not that 16" calfs are impressive

Perhaps I should train them
More :/

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
Team small calves checking in, in for info.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How does one decide they have bitch calves haha.. Currently my quads are a tad under 26"... My calfs are 16.5".

Does this make me bitch calfs? Honestly I train calfs around once a month. This is a genuine question, not a brag or anything.. Not that 16" calfs are impressive

Perhaps I should train them
More :/
IMO, it is all about symmetry. I have 18" calves, 18" arms and am usually happy with them, until I see someone with 20" looking calves and then wish my calves were bigger, but don't really care about my arms.

I guess I am a calf guy. :)

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I neglected training them for my entire life and just started about 18 months ago. I'll usually do a variation on JM calf routine where he does a type of:
calf raise in increments of 10 reps with a 10 second ISO hold at the top and repeat that 3 times.
That is ones continuous set
Immediately after I go into tibial raises for a total of 20
And straight back into calf raises as stated above.
Repeat for 4-5 sets

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
IMO, it is all about symmetry. I have 18" calves, 18" arms and am usually happy with them, until I see someone with 20" looking calves and then wish my calves were bigger, but don't really care about my arms. I guess I am a calf guy. :)
Your right about symmetry. My arms are 16.5", slowly growing... So my calfs are the same.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So, they really aren't "bitch" calves. haha. They only tend to look like that if they are way out of place in relation to everything else.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
So, they really aren't "bitch" calves. haha. They only tend to look like that if they are way out of place in relation to everything else.
Yeah this is true. I suppose if you had shorts on too and your quads were like 30" but 16" calfs it would looks stupid.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Can we see some calf swelfies?! I want to see what you guys are talking about.

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Im in the same boat brother I have beefed mine up though substantially in the part couple of years by doing slow concise movements and drop sets. For me its all about filling those puppies up with blood.

IFN15

Awards
Can you build up your calves 100%, but calves are possibly the most genetically limited body part for growth. The lower your insertions are the greater potential you have for growth. Good example would be dennis wolf compared to frank mcgrath.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Can you build up your calves 100%, but calves are possibly the most genetically limited body part for growth. The lower your insertions are the greater potential you have for growth. Good example would be dennis wolf compared to frank mcgrath.
^^^THIS!!! my arms are actually larger than my calves but there's meat on 1/3 of them...Sad panda until I show quads

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I've been hitting the eliptical with a weight vest on and my calves have been pumped up, then I've been stretching after. Not intentional, but it def works

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Stretching is huge, especially with calves and many people neglect it.

IFN15

Awards
Stretching the calves after your session makes a world of difference in growth and definition. Also you can roll them out with a rolling pin afterwards a little painful though but i feel it makes a difference.

flexfit

flexfit

Awards
This is what I was hoping for!

A plethora of knowledge and opinions.

I will definitely start stretching them post workout.

In regards to the "bitch calves"... I am in fact referring to symmetry. 18.25" arms...16" calves. Bitch haha.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Stretching the calves after your session makes a world of difference in growth and definition. Also you can roll them out with a rolling pin afterwards a little painful though but i feel it makes a difference.
Foam roll is the best! Makes tears come out lol. Don't neglect stretching also. You don't want pore mobility from tight calfs

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My calves are 16 1/2 and my arms are only 15.

flexfit

flexfit

Awards
Im in the same boat brother I have beefed mine up though substantially in the part couple of years by doing slow concise movements and drop sets. For me its all about filling those puppies up with blood.
Thanks for the reply man.

Yea I think I'm going to start hitting them heavy one day, then stupid high volume with long contractions on the other.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I was just going to say this. Foam rolling is very painful if done right but def works wonders. I also use the edge of a ten # db to roll on the edge, as well as a trigger point kit. All three work great to stretch the fascia and allow for greater pump and bloodflow

flexfit

flexfit

Awards
You roll your calves on a 10 lb db? That work lol?

I was just going to say this. Foam rolling is very painful if done right but def works wonders. I also use the edge of a ten # db to roll on the edge, as well as a trigger point kit. All three work great to stretch the fascia and allow for greater pump and bloodflow

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yea because when I was foam roling it wasn't doing as much as I needed it to, and I didn't have the triger point kit. It works for me.

Jjbballs

Jjbballs

Awards
I was born with giant legs so I need tips on making them smaller haha

emantest

emantest

Awards
Seated calf raise to start go heavy 12, 10, 8, 6 rep range x4-5
Standing calf raise x20 reps then hop off do another 20 reps on the floor with heels together
X3-4 sets, Ben Pakulski video for these.
Finish with high rep 25-30 x5-6 sets with stretching on a block, I've been doing this twice per week

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I had to sleep with my foam roller under my calves. They hurt so bad!!! It feels like I had a bad Charlie horse. I need my legs stretched or stepped on.

jdouglas

Awards
I have...huge quads, pretty decent hamstrings, and tiny little bitch calves lol.

I have more than respectable numbers on all the major lifts.

I train calves 2-3 days/week.

They are small lol.

This isn't so much a "tell me what to do" sort of post...more of a "what worked for YOU."

By you, I mean those of you who started of in a similar situation with me (small calves) and were able to add some serious size to them.

I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say!
I used to have that problem. Then I started training calves every day. I do at least 200 reps every single day. Took about 6 months before they started to gain size.

flexfit

flexfit

Awards
I used to have that problem. Then I started training calves every day. I do at least 200 reps every single day. Took about 6 months before they started to gain size.
Thanks for the reply man.

I need to start doing that...I tried it a few years ago for like...a month lol. I did start to notice slight changes, but my training partner at the time had naturally huge calves and never wanted to train them lol.

I'm going to start hitting them every day again .