Slow and controlled reps vs blasting them out?

R1187

R1187

Awards
  • Established
I have seen the Mentzer method of taking 5 seconds to complete 1 rep + 5 seconds to complete the negative. Obviously a lot of time under tension, and using this method there may only be 5 reps in a set.

I have never tried training this way. I try to use proper form and minimize momentum and "cheating", but this Mentzer method is pretty extreme compared to what I normally do.

Also it seems most pro bodybuilders don't train this way???

What are your thoughts?

Is time under tension all that matters? Meaning 5 slow reps is essentially the same as blasting out 10?

I'm going to be switching up my workouts some. I'm not ready to try this Mentzer method yet, but I'm going to eliminate 1 set from my exercises and focus only slowing down the remaining sets a little bit.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Data suggests that a slow eccentric and a fast concentric elicits the best gains in hypertrophy. Strength is another beast, though, when it comes to the eccentric portion of the lift.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have tried "Super Slow Reps" at times and got very sore. I think it is a Great "Tool" to use at times to switch things up. Give it a try for yourself and let us know what you think !

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Based on what I've read and been told by a former bodybuilder and powerlifting record holder that helps me at the gym, speed of reps depends on the goals you have. He encourages me to mix it up with some of both because I am trying to get stronger and more defined. Not necessarily working slow/fast on the same day.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have tried "Super Slow Reps" at times and got very sore. I think it is a Great "Tool" to use at times to switch things up. Give it a try for yourself and let us know what you think !
I agree. Just another arrow in the quiver to keep your gains and improvement progressing.

braskibra

braskibra

Awards
I hate this either or type threads, it doesnt have to be that way. Do x for an inordinate amount of time and then do y for an inordinate amount of time. Time under tension is only one part of the equation. There's other variables which are attributable to gains: training experience, volume, intensity, training to failure, metabolite buildup the list goes on and on