Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I get terrible muscle cramps, about an hour after training, mostly Tricep's, Chest, Lats and sometimes Abs. it has been happening for 30 years and I have never found anything to keep it from happening...............any ideas ?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I get terrible muscle cramps, about an hour after training, mostly Tricep's, Chest, Lats and sometimes Abs. it has been happening for 30 years and I have never found anything to keep it from happening...............any ideas ?
High dosed taurine, plenty of electrolytes in diet

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I agree with all of the above - water and electrolytes are typically the two big culprits in muscle cramps. It sounds like you've tried stopping this before, what have you tried already?

How much water do you drink in a day? How much do you drink during your workouts?

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
this. Maybe supplement w/topical magnesium and additional potassium. Oh and moar h20
I drink about a gallon of water a day, eat a banana everyday ????? I probably look like a bigger idiot than usual today, I get a cramp in my pec so I stretch my arm out than I get a cramp in my tri.............. Looks like some strange dance, my to the muscle gods!!

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I drink about a gallon of water a day, eat a banana everyday ????? I probably look like a bigger idiot than usual today, I get a cramp in my pec so I stretch my arm out than I get a cramp in my tri.............. Looks like some strange dance, my to the muscle gods!!
Water intake is good, but a banana is <500 mg potassium, RDA is 4500

I dint know why banana's are always the top recommendation for this.

If you eat all whole goods and vegetables you should be getting enough

Supplements can cause a wide variety of electrolyte disturbances though, what are you using currently? Trying a few days without a potential supplement cause is worth trying

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Water intake is good, but a banana is <500 mg potassium, RDA is 4500 I dint know why banana's are always the top recommendation for this. If you eat all whole goods and vegetables you should be getting enough Supplements can cause a wide variety of electrolyte disturbances though, what are you using currently? Trying a few days without a potential supplement cause is worth trying
I get all of my potassium from avocados. Rarely eat bananas.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
These are from adhesions, which are basically knotted up tissue. Get a good deep tissue massage to break it up.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
My guess is it could also been a supplement your taking right now to. Idk what your stack is but one of your supplements might be causing you to have cramps. But ab cramps are the worst! haha

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Went to the gym tonight did HIIT cardio than some abs, I got a cramp in my lower abs when trying to stretch it out my pec cramps came back. I'm sure folks thought I was crazy !!

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I agree - green leafy veggies are also a good source of potassium - broccoli, spinach, etc. I wouldn't say that a gallon of water a day is high end hydration, depending on what your day is like, that may be light. For instance, if you have a physical job in a warm environment, and then workout, 2 gallons may be more reasonable. 1 gallon/day is the minimum I would think for anyone of your size, but the medical guidelines are slightly lower, because they are for your typical person, which you don't seem to be.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I work in sales so no real sweating at work. (except when sales are slow)

I won one of these and have been taking (1) serving per day

P Intralyte™.jpg

Proccor-Intralyte.jpg

badwolf42

Awards
Have you ever got a complete metabolic panel done? That seems like the first place to start instead of randomly throwing out minerals like potassium or magnesium or any other one thing and claiming its the cure to all without knowing current levels. You really need a plan put together by an expert to get to the bottom of why its happening.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Have you ever got a complete metabolic panel done? That seems like the first place to start instead of randomly throwing out minerals like potassium or magnesium or any other one thing and claiming its the cure to all without knowing current levels. You really need a plan put together by an expert to get to the bottom of why its happening.
Good advice.....Today it is Forearm Cramps

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I second this. In general, what I've found with most people with cramps is that increasing water, which is really low risk and unlikely to hurt you, is the first step. Increase intake and if it goes away, great.

The second place is to increase potassium, but this can be tricky because too much potassium can be an issue. Taking an extra 500 mg when you have a cramp, however, will tell you if the cramp goes away or not, and may provide direction. If eating "right" and taking in adequate water don't do it though, you need bloodwork. You don't want to just throw an unlimited amount of electrolytes at it without knowing where you already are. A moderate increase is all you can do while shooting in the dark.

Plus, bloodwork may clue you into something else going on - maybe an underlying issue or disease that you aren't even thinking of.