Deadlifting with L5/L4 bulging disks (No pain)

TheJailer521

Awards
About 2 years ago I injured my L4 and L5 disks deadlifting with a trap bar (I only do Olympic bar now.)

The pain is totally gone, and I am doing 5/3/1 BBB, which uses a lot of deads.

I have had NO back pain in well over a year.

My question is how heavy can I go, if I have no pain is there anything stopping me from lifting the big #'s, or at some point will the injury be an issue again?

Thanks for any and all help!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Learn to brace your core properly to protect your back and ensure your technique is sound, that's about all you can do.

I have a herniated L5-S1 and have been mostly pain free for the last few months and have gotten close to where I was before the injury, but honestly there is no guarantee that it won't become an issue again.

PILL

Awards
Look at doing TVA exercises like vaccums and make sure you do some sort of core work before deads to ensure all your core muscles are firing.

You may want to talk to a doctor or something, but I'd probably lift whether a doctor told me I could or not...

sanguine

Awards
buldged discs are a serious deal, but like most injuries they can heal with time and if the initial severity was low enough. Buldging is pretty much the most benign thing a disc can do, with more serious injuries being ruptures and prolapses.

You sound confident. You know what to do.

badwolf42

Awards
As long as its not causing pain its fine to go as heavy as you want.

The safest bet to stay healthy in the long term is probably be coached under good coach and qualified therapist. Check out how to properly train your core with dr. Mcgill and use good form. Then lift a ton of weight

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I damage my knee years ago. I squatted heavy for years afterward was no real problems. But as I got older it started to catch up with me.

Go it at your own risk. Just because you're not having pain now doesn't mean that it's not going to catch up with you. I understand wanting to be in shape and look good but it's having back pain years from now worth just having a heavy deadlift weight? Uhh, no..

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I damage my knee years ago. I squatted heavy for years afterward was no real problems. But as I got older it started to catch up with me.

Go it at your own risk. Just because you're not having pain now doesn't mean that it's not going to catch up with you. I understand wanting to be in shape and look good but it's having back pain years from now worth just having a heavy deadlift weight? Uhh, no..
Depends on who you ask.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
do these instead of vaccuums and TVA work.
http://youtu.be/AmgQ_cjAPU4

keep in mind the recommendation comes from one of the leading spinal biomechanists in the world, Dr Stuart McGill.