Core tightness throughout squats

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
Hey guys, after watching film of my self squating and thinking about it, i am starting to loose tightness around my 4-5 rep my first couple are perfect but i feel my core loosing. I take a deep breath before each squat. Any tips on how to keep your core tight throughout the set.

Thanks guys

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is Chris Duffin. He is the current WR holder for the 220 class. He knows how to squat and he knows how to coach. I'd check out some of his videos. I believe he brings up bracing in this one. There's another where he talked about it in relation to deadlift, but it's still the same thing.

http://youtu.be/IZDVHVohtmE

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
Thank you so much, I'll watch it and give some feedback. I'm going in tomorrow and practices.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
He has a 3 part squat series that will be worth the time.

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
Perfect, will watch after I get some food hah. Thanks for your help

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
And obviously strengthening your core will help

Pallof Press/anti-rotation press variation's
Ab Rollouts
TRX Fallouts
Hanging leg raises
DB side bends

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I feel like strengthing your core and lower back as well as take a deep breath when squatting would help. Maybe trying low bar might help to. I dont know where you position your bar though.

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
I am high bar right now I'll try to switch it up. Thanks guys

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
Not sure this is the "Single BEST" core movement out there since I feel like heavy squats/deads require more ab strength than any other movement, but they're a good move.

[video=youtube;o-8jNoh_ojA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-8jNoh_ojA[/video]

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Abdominal Bracing has made a huge difference in so many different lifts. Great posts and glad your getting some quality tips here

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
I've been liking stomach vacuums and ab rollouts

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
Well just watched all the videos and can't thank you guys enough. They are very informative. Taking notes

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have a training partner who had the same issue as you and her coach put in some extremely heavy weighted planks (she did 160lbs on her back weighing 175 today) and weighted ab wheel rollouts. Her squat has gone from 260 to an easy 300 in training today, and she'll likely end up with 320. It put about 30 pounds on her already Top 20 deadlift as well. Learn how to brace and then add those in and your core will never be an issue again.

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
Wow! That's amazing i guessing I'm going to start doing weighted planks haha. Thanks for the feedback again guys! Much love

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Outside of compress the core, I like to also cue push your back into your belt and also to engage the lats by imaging a lat pulldown. These both help to stabilize the core and bracing the lats helps to keep good ribcage positioning.