Nate Dawg's workout

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
Well, since I am one week out from my powerlifting meet, and beginning to deload, I have had plenty of time to think up my routine, really isnt much different than what I did before this powerlifting training cycle, but thought I would let you guys check it out and critique it. I am ready to get into some more hypertrophy style of training. Here it is:

Mon- Chest/tri
Flat Bench up to 5RM, around 6-7 sets before the 5RM set for warmup
Low Incline DB bench-2-3x8
Flyes-2-3x12 (angle of flyes depending on what I feel like)
Overhead DB press- 3x6

Tues- Legs/Abs
Squat- Work up to 4-5RM, several warmup sets before
Barbell lunges- 2x10
Leg Ext.- 3x10
Leg Curls- 2x8
Weighted hyperextension- 1-2x12
Weighted situps-3x12-15

Wed- Off

Thurs- Shoulders/Tris/Traps
Incline Bench- 4x6
Arnold Press- 1-2x6
Skull Crushers- 3x8
Tri ext- 3x8-12
reverse grip tri extensions- 1x12
Incline Flyes- 2x12
DB side raises- 3x10
Rear DB raises- 2x12
Shrugs- 6-8 sets, build up to heavy 8-10 reps

Fri- Back/Bis
Pullups- 2x20
Pull downs- 2x10-12
Tbar row or bent over barbell row- 4x8
Reverse grip pulldown- 1x10
Seated row- 1x12
One arm DB row- 1x12
EZ bar curl- 3x8
Preacher curl- 2x12
Hammer curl-3x8

That is pretty much what I will be changing to in two weeks. I think there is too much volume on thurs/fri, but I am having a hard time deciding what exercises I want to cut, there is alot of back exercises in there, maybe I will make an A and B workout for back and go 2 weeks of A then switch to 2 weeks of B workout, changing it to get my volume down, but get the exercises I want.

On shoulder day I am using incline bench as my main pressing movement for shoulders, probably not as good as an upright press movement, but I really want to put extra emphasis on my upper chest since I havent done any incline stuff in the past 8-10 weeks or so due to this powerlifting meet.

On the intensity for my sets, I have only one set, the last set, that I would actually consider a work set, all the others previous to the last set are just warmups. I just work up to a weight that I can usually hit for a heavy 6-8 reps and go all out for that one set, then move on to the next exercise. The warmup sets are not really taxing at all to the muscles. Kind of a Max-OT style I guess you could say. I am also trying to figure a way to work in deadlifts, what I am thinking right now, is on leg day I will squat two weeks in a row, then on the third week deadlift, then go back to squats, deadlifting every third week.

I prefer doing bis and tris together, and not putting them with other body parts because I hate how do bis after back, my bis are already so thrashed from back that I cant curl near the weight I want to compared to when I am fresh. On chest day I only have the one tri exercise, overhead db extensions, because I really like those, but dont want to add too much more volume to my actual tri day, just kind of rambling thoughts through my head now.

When I come off cycle I am going to stick to this split, but for the first 4 weeks of pct, I am going to cut out alot of the accessory exercises, or maybe just do one set, and focus mainly on the core exercises to keep strength as high as possible. If I am feeling good and recovered after 4-5 weeks pct I will slowly add more volume to the workouts, going by how my body feels, and adjust accordingly. So what do you guys think about this program, what would you change/add/take out etc..I am wanting to hear all suggestions/comments:) Thanks for your opinions.

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
No reccommendations? There has to be something wrong in there:)

knox

Awards
  • Established
personally i think it looks good. i like how you have the tri days split between monday and thursday with different exercises within that muscle group. i like to pick a single lift for that day and hit it hard and heavy, then all other related exercises i lower the weight and up the volume, then alternate the heavy lift each week, example(monday-heavy tri push-downs, thursday heavy skull crushers...next week-monday:heavy overhead tri presses, an up the volume on push-downs, second week thursday: up the volume on skull crushers and go heavy on some other tri exercise...sounds confusing. of course during you post cycle you probably won't want as much volume coming off, but i'm sure you know that. i would leave friday just as back and use sat. for bi's, considering you don't do anything on sat anyway except thumb your sac. the only thing i would add would be some cock-pushups, then you should be golden.:D i realize you probably will ignore all this and hope for someone else's opinion, which i understand, but i'm and bored and feel sorry for you that nobody has replied to your little thread..lol:lol:

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
LMAO...cock pushups eh? Can I go up to a max effort on those? I bet tom has a shirt for that little bastard, double denim condom with double stiched seems for nut support for really helping the experienced cock pushuper to get some explosion and speed off the floor! (inside joke).I do have quite a bit of leverage down there so it shouldnt be too hard lol. Anyways....ya your tricep exercise idea made sense, I will think it over. Thank you for blessing me with your presence knox, I am now going to flip you off on the way to class tomorrow...whats new.

knox

Awards
  • Established
lmao....tom....what a goofy bastard, i bet he would try a cock-pushup, and ask you for a FULL spot..lol you are very welcome for the advice, most would kill for my expertize opinion, especially midgets:think: . expect a warm bird in return biatch:whip:

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
So the only opinion I am getting is to do cock pushups lol? That cant be all:)

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I STILL think that's a lot of volume :D That's about it...hehehe

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
Ok, I think I will probably break the back workout down into an A and B workout. I dont think chest is too high of volume, with legs if I am feeling wore out after a few exercises I will call it a day, just go by what my body says. I still dont know what to do with my shoulder day, because there is alot of volume there, I am just not for sure what to cut.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Well, since I am one week out from my powerlifting meet, and beginning to deload, I have had plenty of time to think up my routine, really isnt much different than what I did before this powerlifting training cycle, but thought I would let you guys check it out and critique it. I am ready to get into some more hypertrophy style of training. Here it is:

Mon- Chest/tri
Flat Bench up to 5RM, around 6-7 sets before the 5RM set for warmup
Low Incline DB bench-2-3x8
Flyes-2-3x12 (angle of flyes depending on what I feel like)
Overhead DB press- 3x6

Tues- Legs/Abs
Squat- Work up to 4-5RM, several warmup sets before
Barbell lunges- 2x10
Leg Ext.- 3x10
Leg Curls- 2x8
Weighted hyperextension- 1-2x12
Weighted situps-3x12-15

Wed- Off

Thurs- Shoulders/Tris/Traps
Incline Bench- 4x6
Arnold Press- 1-2x6
Skull Crushers- 3x8
Tri ext- 3x8-12
reverse grip tri extensions- 1x12
Incline Flyes- 2x12
DB side raises- 3x10
Rear DB raises- 2x12
Shrugs- 6-8 sets, build up to heavy 8-10 reps

Fri- Back/Bis
Pullups- 2x20
Pull downs- 2x10-12
Tbar row or bent over barbell row- 4x8
Reverse grip pulldown- 1x10
Seated row- 1x12
One arm DB row- 1x12
EZ bar curl- 3x8
Preacher curl- 2x12
Hammer curl-3x8

That is pretty much what I will be changing to in two weeks. I think there is too much volume on thurs/fri, but I am having a hard time deciding what exercises I want to cut, there is alot of back exercises in there, maybe I will make an A and B workout for back and go 2 weeks of A then switch to 2 weeks of B workout, changing it to get my volume down, but get the exercises I want.

On shoulder day I am using incline bench as my main pressing movement for shoulders, probably not as good as an upright press movement, but I really want to put extra emphasis on my upper chest since I havent done any incline stuff in the past 8-10 weeks or so due to this powerlifting meet.

On the intensity for my sets, I have only one set, the last set, that I would actually consider a work set, all the others previous to the last set are just warmups. I just work up to a weight that I can usually hit for a heavy 6-8 reps and go all out for that one set, then move on to the next exercise. The warmup sets are not really taxing at all to the muscles. Kind of a Max-OT style I guess you could say. I am also trying to figure a way to work in deadlifts, what I am thinking right now, is on leg day I will squat two weeks in a row, then on the third week deadlift, then go back to squats, deadlifting every third week.

I prefer doing bis and tris together, and not putting them with other body parts because I hate how do bis after back, my bis are already so thrashed from back that I cant curl near the weight I want to compared to when I am fresh. On chest day I only have the one tri exercise, overhead db extensions, because I really like those, but dont want to add too much more volume to my actual tri day, just kind of rambling thoughts through my head now.

When I come off cycle I am going to stick to this split, but for the first 4 weeks of pct, I am going to cut out alot of the accessory exercises, or maybe just do one set, and focus mainly on the core exercises to keep strength as high as possible. If I am feeling good and recovered after 4-5 weeks pct I will slowly add more volume to the workouts, going by how my body feels, and adjust accordingly. So what do you guys think about this program, what would you change/add/take out etc..I am wanting to hear all suggestions/comments:) Thanks for your opinions.
Hey bro.

I'd ditch some of the isolation exercises i.e. flyes, leg extensions, leg curls, only do one exercise for tris after your pressing work, cut your back work down to maybe pulldowns and some sort of rowing movement, only one bicep exercise after back work. I'd also increase the number of working sets for bench and squat, and get some chains or bands and use them with those exercises from time to time.

Good luck.

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
Alright, I will probably thow in some bands, I have a pair of the greens, and at home this summer I have a bunch of huge ass chains on the farm that we use to pull out tractors and such. Right now I am looking at some DFHT/DFST training routines, so I am still very undecided on what I want to go to, either way I will keep you all updated.