Time to switch workout routines, help is appreciated.

HTGduck

HTGduck

Awards
  • Established
To start off, I am 19, 5 foot 9 and 150lbs. 10-12% body fat. I have been lifting for a year and a few months now. I started off the journey 128lbs and about 16% body fat.... Absolutely ZERO muscle. My squat is 255lbs for 5 reps (started at 115 for 5 reps), bench max is 185 (awful I know), and deadlift max is completely unknown to doing sets of 10 constantly. My last routine was a 4 day split from muscle & strength. I have run it for 6 months and need a change. I really prefer a 4 day split.... Any recommendations?

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Jim Wendlers 5/3/1. Buy the book, move the weight...eat a ton!

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Words can't explain how happy it makes me to see a young guy go to the gym and stick with the same program for six months rather than program hopping. You're gonna go far if you keep it up. Stick with your programs for at least that long in the future, it will pay off. Agree with Wade, 5/3/1 is right up your alley.

Mystere3

Awards
5/3/1 bbb is very nice. PHAT isn't bad either, or DTP

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Congrats on your gains and keep up the good work.
The others pretty much covered the other stuff

HTGduck

HTGduck

Awards
  • Established
Jim Wendlers 5/3/1. Buy the book, move the weight...eat a ton!
What could I do to turn this into 4 days instead of just 3?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What could I do to turn this into 4 days instead of just 3?
Not sure what source you're looking at, but the basis of the routine is 4-Days, though there are 2 and 3 day templates. Dead/Bench/Squat/OHP

HTGduck

HTGduck

Awards
  • Established
Not sure what source you're looking at, but the basis of the routine is 4-Days, though there are 2 and 3 day templates. Dead/Bench/Squat/OHP
Hmm that's weird. I clicked on the first result and it was a 3 day template.

amarula

Awards
Words can't explain how happy it makes me to see a young guy go to the gym and stick with the same program for six months rather than program hopping. You're gonna go far if you keep it up. Stick with your programs for at least that long in the future, it will pay off. Agree with Wade, 5/3/1 is right up your alley.
6 months even for an advanced lifter?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You mean change exercises, variations, but within the same routine?
Yeah, just keep the main 5/3/1 scheme, but you can always do down sets, dynamic/explosive work, heavy triples/doubles/singles, vary assistance.

HTGduck

HTGduck

Awards
  • Established
alright guys , time to BUMP this... i just finished GVT for six lonnnggggg weeks!! I keep reading to switch after a month or so. Any recommendations for a new split? For my info check post #1

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
alright guys , time to BUMP this... i just finished GVT for six lonnnggggg weeks!! I keep reading to switch after a month or so. Any recommendations for a new split? For my info check post #1
You are going to probably be shocked at what you lost off of your top end after a GVT run, but it will come back. It's been about 3 years since I ran a rest/pause/total rep routine and I am on my 3rd week with mind blowing results. I forgot how powerful it is for mass and strength.

I could run you through it, but there are different variations of R/P that you could look up and you could also look into DC training which is very similar with stretching involved. The main take away that people like to slip on is keeping the rest period very brief. I go for 15 sec in between mini sets and it has improved my endurance even more, keeping me strong when I would normally be taxed.

amarula

Awards
You are going to probably be shocked at what you lost off of your top end after a GVT run, but it will come back. It's been about 3 years since I ran a rest/pause/total rep routine and I am on my 3rd week with mind blowing results. I forgot how powerful it is for mass and strength.

I could run you through it, but there are different variations of R/P that you could look up and you could also look into DC training which is very similar with stretching involved. The main take away that people like to slip on is keeping the rest period very brief. I go for 15 sec in between mini sets and it has improved my endurance even more, keeping me strong when I would normally be taxed.

Are you talking about a 5x5 total rep routine but using rest-pause?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No, I am taking 80-85% of 1RM with a goal of 25 reps with 15-20 sec rest as needed to get there. Could be 7,5,4,3,2,2,2. If I was able to keep it at 5x5 with the pause beteewn mini sets, then that would indicate I needed to go up in weight.

amarula

Awards
No, I am taking 80-85% of 1RM with a goal of 25 reps with 15-20 sec rest as needed to get there. Could be 7,5,4,3,2,2,2. If I was able to keep it at 5x5 with the pause beteewn mini sets, then that would indicate I needed to go up in weight.
But do you pause between, lets say, the first 7 reps? Like this: 1, pause, 1, pause, etc til you get 7? Or you do 7 reps, pause 15-20 sec and do 5 reps and so on?

Do you use this method with all your lifts or just the main ones?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used that as an example from today, so it looked like this:

BB bench
7 reps 15 sec rest
5 reps 15 sec rest
4 reps 15 sec rest
...and so on. I go to almost failure, but leave one in the tank before rests.

I do it with BB bench, BB incline (alternating between flat BB weekly), squat, and cleans and then add in accessory work in the 4x8 range. Deads I keep in a lower range and do 1, rest, 1 rest, 1 rest....

Example:
Chest A workout
R/P bench for 25 total reps
DB incline 4 x 8
Cable x-over 4 x 8
Weighted dips 4 x failure

Chest B workout
R/P incline BB for 25 total reps
BB bench 4 x 8
DB fly 4 x 8

amarula

Awards
I used that as an example from today, so it looked like this:

BB bench
7 reps 15 sec rest
5 reps 15 sec rest
4 reps 15 sec rest
...and so on. I go to almost failure, but leave one in the tank before rests.

I do it with BB bench, BB incline (alternating between flat BB weekly), squat, and cleans and then add in accessory work in the 4x8 range. Deads I keep in a lower range and do 1, rest, 1 rest, 1 rest....

Example:
Chest A workout
R/P bench for 25 total reps
DB incline 4 x 8
Cable x-over 4 x 8

Chest B workout
R/P incline BB for 25 total reps
BB bench 4 x 8
DB fly 4 x 8
Now I get it. Thank you for your explanation