Grip strength

rj123

Awards
I want to increase my grip strength to help me with some of my other lifts so I bought some hand grippers. Just wondering how many times a week do you do them and how many sets at what rep range?

ChefJoey

ChefJoey

Awards
I've started farmer walks the last year and they've done wonders.

Simply started with a 45 pound plate in each hand and walk until my grip failed.

I know that doesn't answer your direct question but it does relate to grip strength.

rj123

Awards
I've started farmer walks the last year and they've done wonders. Simply started with a 45 pound plate in each hand and walk until my grip failed. I know that doesn't answer your direct question but it does relate to grip strength.
thanks for the suggestion I do them already for core with kettle bells

fasttaker

Awards
Okay, are they Ironmind or some other type of heavy duty gripper? What I mean is, at least one of the grippers you bought should be tough enough so that you can only touch the handles 1-5 times (or not at all even) - check out Captains of Crush grippers on Ironmind's site if this is not the case. Assuming the grippers are tough, make sure you do several warm up sets on the easiest of them, or else you will hurt your hands. Do just a few sets 2 or 3 times per week, in a low rep range. I am purposely not giving exact numbers here, because it takes tinkering to find what works best for you. Just don't do them every day, don't do them more than once in a day, and don't try to annihilate your hands. You should be getting stronger each week. If not, reevaluate your strategy. Also, Mastery of Hand Strength by John Brookfield is a great book. It will tell you how to develop the three major types of hand strength with simple tools.

By the way, "crushing" strength is what you get from grippers. You said you want grip strength to aid in your lifts. That is usually "supporting" strength. So, the farmers walk is good. So is holding a loaded barbell a couple inches off the rack for 30 second sets. That stuff will help your grip on deadlifts, rows, etc.

rj123

Awards
Okay, are they Ironmind or some other type of heavy duty gripper? What I mean is, at least one of the grippers you bought should be tough enough so that you can only touch the handles 1-5 times (or not at all even) - check out Captains of Crush grippers on Ironmind's site if this is not the case. Assuming the grippers are tough, make sure you do several warm up sets on the easiest of them, or else you will hurt your hands. Do just a few sets 2 or 3 times per week, in a low rep range. I am purposely not giving exact numbers here, because it takes tinkering to find what works best for you. Just don't do them every day, don't do them more than once in a day, and don't try to annihilate your hands. You should be getting stronger each week. If not, reevaluate your strategy. Also, Mastery of Hand Strength by John Brookfield is a great book. It will tell you how to develop the three major types of hand strength with simple tools. By the way, "crushing" strength is what you get from grippers. You said you want grip strength to aid in your lifts. That is usually "supporting" strength. So, the farmers walk is good. So is holding a loaded barbell a couple inches off the rack for 30 second sets. That stuff will help your grip on deadlifts, rows, etc.
this helped a lot thank. Yea I got 100,150,200,250,300,350 I mostly wanted them so I can improve my dead lifts so I think that would be "crushing" or am I wrong

fasttaker

Awards
this helped a lot thank. Yea I got 100,150,200,250,300,350 I mostly wanted them so I can improve my dead lifts so I think that would be "crushing" or am I wrong
I'm sure it will help some. Google "types of grip strength" or check out the Ironmind site. For strengthening your deadlift grip, try setting a loaded barbell up in the power rack so that you only have to pick it up an inch or two. Hold it for sets of as many seconds as you can until the bar drops out of your hand. A good time for this is right after you do your deadlifts. You might also look into some thick bar work (you can turn a home chin-up bar into a thick bar with some PVC pipe around it. Kinda crappy but it can work. Makes chins into a grip exercise). But like I said, if you're really interested in this sort of thing, check out the book I mentioned.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I mostly wanted them so I can improve my dead lifts so I think that would be "crushing" or am I wrong
As fasttaker said, some carryover.
2 cents...
Personally, I find static holds or timed (along with just doing the deads) for say counts or until the bar slips from the grip onto pins, improved holding and or static strength/power. Plate or stone/blob pinching/grabbing also helps IMO.
After a session of those, my grip would be hammered and weak the next day but 2 days later it was very strong.

jeffh3c

jeffh3c

Awards
  • Established
Ok, I ran across this thread and decided to keep this question in here as starting another thread would just spread out the info.

So I am running up against a ceiling on my deadlifts. My grip strength is the weak link in my DL. I feel as if I could lift far more, but my grip keeps suffering and therefore my lifts. I have considered using wrist wraps to increase what I am lifting, but have always thought of this as a crutch.

Thoughts?

rj123

Awards
Ok, I ran across this thread and decided to keep this question in here as starting another thread would just spread out the info. So I am running up against a ceiling on my deadlifts. My grip strength is the weak link in my DL. I feel as if I could lift far more, but my grip keeps suffering and therefore my lifts. I have considered using wrist wraps to increase what I am lifting, but have always thought of this as a crutch. Thoughts?
i recommend the hand grippers I've been doing them 2-3 times a week and it's helping so far

fasttaker

Awards
Ok, I ran across this thread and decided to keep this question in here as starting another thread would just spread out the info.

So I am running up against a ceiling on my deadlifts. My grip strength is the weak link in my DL. I feel as if I could lift far more, but my grip keeps suffering and therefore my lifts. I have considered using wrist wraps to increase what I am lifting, but have always thought of this as a crutch.

Thoughts?
Okay, so are you using an alternating grip (one hand over, one hand under) and your grip is still giving out? How heavy is your DL? I was able to get up to 350 once for 5 reps with an overhand grip, and then had to switch to an alternating grip. Look at the suggestions already mentioned in this thread. Also, how many other pulling movements are you doing with free weights? Heavy rows, power cleans, and farmer's walks should help. Also, the best may be the static holds, which were already mentioned a few times in this thread. Just my 2 cents.

fasttaker

Awards
One more thing - chalk. Make sure it's lifting chalk. It's really a must, and if you have to sneak it in the gym and deadlift in a corner somewhere, then do it.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Thoughts?
For me, I use straps at times (especially for rep work x5-7's+) to get the big heavy work in. I do not want to be limited working my large structure, by a hammered grip or if a callous broke.
Are you using mixed grip?
Have you tried a hook grip?
As Fasttalker says, what about good chalk (maybe Ironmind's) as I have used some chalk that just sucks.

My feeling is, I can always work grip after or later in week (static holds work well for me just hanging onto to a heavy barbell for timed holds until the bar slips or I have to let it down to the pins)

jeffh3c

jeffh3c

Awards
  • Established
I'm typically doing 3 to 325 for reps. I am using mixed grip with gloves but no straps. It's pissing me off cut I could easily lift more if my grip were stronger. Squats have surpassed dl.

fasttaker

Awards
I'm typically doing 3 to 325 for reps. I am using mixed grip with gloves but no straps. It's pissing me off cut I could easily lift more if my grip were stronger. Squats have surpassed dl.
Ditch the gloves. Get weightlifting chalk - a local sporting goods store might have it (same thing as gymnastic chalk). Try the static holds, as has been suggested, with a double overhand grip. Try to do at least a couple sets with your deadlifting weight or a little less for 15-30 second sets. Do these after your deadlifts, with pins set just a couple inches down, so that you can literally let the weight fall out of your hand when you're exhausted. Yeah, you will get calluses, but you do need to ditch the gloves and get some chalk - just doing that may solve your whole problem.

jeffh3c

jeffh3c

Awards
  • Established
I know they don't allow chalk... but I will start to incorporate static holds

Reps.....

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Reps.....
Definitely add the static holds. After your heaviest set for the day try to hold the weight for 10s (real 10s not that fast head counting 10s). You can also do it for longer periods with less weight, etc.

If available another great option is all sorts of forms of loaded carries (Farmers Walks, Suitcase Carries, etc.). They can be added on with low volume to start at the end of several workouts and you can increase volume as you go. Very beneficial beyond just grip as well. :)

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
When I was a member at one of the gyms, most of the bars had crappy knurling too, or the knurling was almost chromed and slippery. I just donned my straps to get the dead work reps in and worried about grip later on.
I am not sure if you have tried hook grip!? (I know Toro is a good guy for that hook stuff, and there is a vid of Big Brad Gilligham pulling up over #840 using a hook and overhand) I have not yet built my thumb kill power for that, but am still planning some work there), I have always pulled mixed grp, but was also blessed with pretty big mitts I have been told. Taping the thumbs up for hooking, can work too apparently.

fasttaker

Awards

Reps.....
Rub anti-perspirant into your hands if you can't sneak the chalk. It's the same ingredient that's in that "chalk-less" crap they sell on the web. Wet sweaty hands are a disaster for your grip and it sounds like your gloves are too.

jcc80

jcc80

Awards
I wore gloves once, and never will again. I couldn't hold on to anything

fasttaker

Awards
That's what I'm talking about! I'm almost convinced that if the OP could deadlift just once without gloves and using weightlifting chalk, the problem would be solved. But like Paul Black said, if the gym doesn't allow it, you sometimes just have to use the straps and worry about grip later.

rj123

Awards
That's what I'm talking about! I'm almost convinced that if the OP could deadlift just once without gloves and using weightlifting chalk, the problem would be solved. But like Paul Black said, if the gym doesn't allow it, you sometimes just have to use the straps and worry about grip later.
i never wore gloves and I do use chalk. My grips pretty strong I can go up to 315 deadlift with a straight hand grip for reps before I have to switch to an under overhand grip I just want my grip to be stronger.

fasttaker

Awards
i never wore gloves and I do use chalk. My grips pretty strong I can go up to 315 deadlift with a straight hand grip for reps before I have to switch to an under overhand grip I just want my grip to be stronger.
Oops! My bad, I was referring to the other guy, Jeff, who came in after you asking questions. My post was directed towards him, not you.

jeffh3c

jeffh3c

Awards
  • Established
Ok, this turned out to be WAY too simple. I worked out without gloves on DL today and no grip-slip whatsoever. Turns out it IS the gloves.

Thanks!

jcc80

jcc80

Awards
Yeah I didn't even attempt deads with the gloves. They screwed me up on DB and BB rows too. Plus, callouses build character :)

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Never mind then, we won't send you a bill for the advice...! HA HA HA
Glad you are finding things working out, but just in case you do run into grip problems down the road, don't fret it, just put focus into some more specifics.
Grip work say after back work or the next day etc. etc.

2 cents...
Also, you may find your hands will callous up more and get thicker over time and they can break or tear and it hurts some, so it might be that you'll have to water sand them down some with a foot stone to keep 'em pliable.