Carbs before bed??

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have read that taking carbs before bed stops your hormone release at night. However, if I was to take some kind of protein before bed I believe you should always have some kind of sugars for glucose transport. Anyone have any advice and know what is the best meal or protein that should be taken before bed.

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I eat eggs and have done so every night before bed for the last 3 years or so

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have read that taking carbs before bed stops your hormone release at night. However, if I was to take some kind of protein before bed I believe you should always have some kind of sugars for glucose transport. Anyone have any advice and know what is the best meal or protein that should be taken before bed.
Thats not true. Your metabolism slows down during REM sleep but carbs do not negate the GH, LH and subsequent test release. However I would opt for a very small amont of carbs and fat along with a good slow digesting protein source. You simply do't want to have TOO many calories before bedtime due to slower metabolism.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It was found that the GH release during REM sleep was not effected by carbohyrdate ingestion before bed, something not seen during the day.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Reguardless or insulin or blood sugar levels?

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It was found that the GH release during REM sleep was not effected by carbohyrdate ingestion before bed, something not seen during the day.
we talking immediately before bed they ate carbs? How much? What kind? I have read many books that support the fact that insulin is inproportionate to GH

I can list a few of the books if you like?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yup. It seems the GH release has more to do with your circadian rhythm during REM sleep than insulin and glucose levels.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
we talking immediately before bed they ate carbs? How much? What kind? I have read many books that support the fact that insulin is inproportionate to GH

I can list a few of the books if you like?
The studies were done on normal, hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia cases.

I have read most of those books and they are based on the traditional insulin/gh axis which occurs during basal conditions. During REM sleep the conditions change.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Well, I learned something new today after all. I can read between the lines, Bobo is telling me to go get a big bowl of ice cream to get me through the night. Well, OK! :thumbsup: If bobo says do it, he's the coach, and I should listen.. now if you'll excuse me, my rocky road awaits! :run:

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh no...I've created a monster.

The problem with eating large amounts before bed is simply excess calories in a state of slower metabolism. Not to mention that it can cause sleeplessness and THAT causes a DECREASE in GH output :D

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Oh no...I've created a monster.

The problem with eating large amounts before bed is simply excess calories in a state of slower metabolism. Not to mention that it can cause sleeplessness and THAT causes a DECREASE in GH output :D
Alright coach, I'll behave. I had a few hard boiled eggs w/ some lemon pepper, that takes a little while to digest.

Redeemer

Awards
Would the carbs contaiined in 16 oz of milk be sufficient for glucose transport? Alternately would that be too much? I ask because I mix my bedtime casein shake with skim or 1% milk.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
However I would opt for a very small amont of carbs and fat along with a good slow digesting protein source. You simply do't want to have TOO many calories before bedtime due to slower metabolism.
I knew a little carbs were good :)
I'm refining my bedtime shake formula*:

30% Milk Protein Concentrate**
15% Calcium Caseinate
10% Whey Protein Isolate
5% Soy Protein Isolate
10% Activated Barley
30% Flax Seed Powder

Bobo, would u mind to comment?

*About 40g of the above in 8oz of skimmed milk.
** its 80% micellear casein

Note that my metabolism is slightly shifted towards the second part of the day and that i digest very well during the night. The high fat % is due to my need of calories and to the fact that i dont eat raw flax oil (hate the taste)

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That looks real good.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
That looks real good.
the manifacturer suggested me to lower the fat ratio. I have to find out how well the taste of flax powder can be covered.

They also said that their activated barley has a GI of 30-40, hence very good.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
Syr- Is that a custom mix from someone you can mention? That does look like a hell of a good night formula. I don't think that would be too much fat (from flax) unless you get alot more during the day already. Maybe they are referring simply to the potential taste problem. Anything with only 10% whey is gonna taste like sh!t anyway, but for bedtime, it's the right idea. Quite a bit of fiber, though. That is good in general, but I wonder if it would in any way affect or inhibit night time absorbtion. Bobo...?

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
Syr- Is that a custom mix from someone you can mention? That does look like a hell of a good night formula. I don't think that would be too much fat (from flax) unless you get alot more during the day already. Maybe they are referring simply to the potential taste problem. Anything with only 10% whey is gonna taste like sh!t anyway, but for bedtime, it's the right idea. Quite a bit of fiber, though. That is good in general, but I wonder if it would in any way affect or inhibit night time absorbtion. Bobo...?
Its from myprotein.co.uk
Not the cheapest source, but the only customizer available in europe.
Its not a premade formula, but a custom one i'm making.
My point on the amount of flax: I cant stand the taste of the oil. I get my fats mostly from virgin olive oil, cream butter, peanuts butter and I will add sesathin or Udo oil blend. i eat salmon 3 times a week to get my EFAs.

They said that casein and flax arent the best tasting thing, so i reduced the caseinate. The other proteins are natural tasting. I'm going to get "extra chocolate" flavour.
I'm waiting to know how tastes flax powder before eventually reducing a bit.
Where do you see so much fibers? The activate barley is a low GI carb.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
The barley will have some fiber, but the 30% flax powder in your mix will have even more. 30% of 40g will be 13g of flax powder, probably 5-7g of fiber, maybe more. That's actually a good amount I think. I just wondered if that might affect the absorbtion of protein somehow. Hopefully those in the know will chime in!

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I knew a little carbs were good :)
I'm refining my bedtime shake formula*:

30% Milk Protein Concentrate**
15% Calcium Caseinate
10% Whey Protein Isolate
5% Soy Protein Isolate
10% Activated Barley
30% Flax Seed Powder

Bobo, would u mind to comment?

*About 40g of the above in 8oz of skimmed milk.
** its 80% micellear casein

Note that my metabolism is slightly shifted towards the second part of the day and that i digest very well during the night. The high fat % is due to my need of calories and to the fact that i dont eat raw flax oil (hate the taste)
Fiber will slow digestion, so that's good at night, but it doesn't hurt protein absobtion. Flax makes strawberry taste better in a shake, not sure about the choc.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
Fiber will slow digestion, so that's good at night, but it doesn't hurt protein absobtion. Flax makes strawberry taste better in a shake, not sure about the choc.
I definitel like to eat something chocolate-like at night, so I think i'll be fine.
I'm getting only 1 kg to try it before ordering more.
I'll be ordering also oats powder :)