Shoulder gone bye bye. What program now?

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
So, here is the deal. I've got a cyst of the size of a grape on my right shoulder between tendons. Meaning, surgery is inevitable. If it's anything like my last one, at least a couple of weeks completely out of the gym (I'm getting a second opinion this upcoming week so I'll know better what the recovery will be like) and then I'll be in a sling for at least a few months.

Needless to say, I'll be completely unable to workout my upper body or use arm support for anything.

So, in order for me to not be 100% out of the gym, what should I do? What kind of a program can I try to focus on?

I would assume legs, duh, but what I was unsure was to whether I should do a split like just calves on Monday, Hammys on Wed, Quad on Friday and then do cardio (ugh... years without cardio and now I have to go back) which would be nothing more than biking, or just cardio......

Keeping in mind I will be working out one handed, so not quite able to squat, etc, will most likely be using machines for everything.

Any input is appreciated.

(goes without saying, I'll obviously be following doctors recommendations; so if he tells me to stay completely out of the gym for 5 months, I will be out of the gym for 5 months doing nothing but light cardio...)

ThaGerGuy3000

Awards
I would advise to use the other arm, according to some studies you can slow down muscle loss by up to 80% in your injured arm by training the other one.

You can focus mainly on abs, neck, possibly grip and legs but I would defenitely train the good arm and shoulder with dumbells.

If nothing else this will give you time experiment and try out every single excercise possible (even if it seems stupid or really unorthodox) could be a lot of fun!
One arm deadlifts and snatches come to mind as well.

Also there is a world record holder in raw powrtlifting who squats without even touching the bar with his hands, if you place the bar low enough maybe this can work for you.

Don't know more possibilities but I would see this as a chance to experiment with crazy stuff and be back at the gym as soon as I feel like it, not when some untrained doctor that can't even Squat what I press overhead tells me to. They really don! They know everytjing and evety person is different so they CAN'T know the time you should stay out of the gym.

Come to think of it one arm snatches might be tough since you cannot use the other hand for support.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I would advise to use the other arm, according to some studies you can slow down muscle loss by up to 80% in your injured arm by training the other one.

You can focus mainly on abs, neck, possibly grip and legs but I would defenitely train the good arm and shoulder with dumbells.

If nothing else this will give you time experiment and try out every single excercise possible (even if it seems stupid or really unorthodox) could be a lot of fun!

Also there is a world record holder in raw powrtlifting who squats without even touching the bar with his hands, if you place the bar low enough maybe this can work for you.

Don't know more possibilities but I would see this as a chance to experiment with crazy stuff and be back at the gym as soon as I feel like it, not when some untrained doctor that can't even Squat what I press overhead tells me to. They really don! They know everytjing and evety person is different so they CAN'T know the time you should stay out of the gym.
Really? this is quite interesting indeed. So, lets say, Monday I workout legs, Tuesday I workout my left side, wed rest, thur leg, friday left side? This is indeed really interesting. I can't help but think I'll end up like the dude from Lady in the water but I'd assume once I'm back to fully training I'll have to balance everything to my gimpy shoulder so it would be fine and then muscle memory would trigger back in.

Also very interesting since my left arm was always a lagging behind in regards to size and strength.

I will def try this out. As far as the legs, would it still be then more beneficial to work them out all at once?

ThaGerGuy3000

Awards
If your left arm is lagging behind this is the perfect chance to change that.

I see no real reason to split legs except maybe doing calvs more often but I can squat.
I would say check it out, if you can work quads or hams isolated for an hour I would be surprised but say go for it.

Me, I would probably go home after 20 minutes out of boredom but I get bored more easy than most. "more easy"... wtf brain?

Also I would not overdo it with the onearm DL, a couple of times total. But I think they are fun to do.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I had shoulder surgery over the summer (torn labrum) and took it as an opportunity to take it easy for a bit. I had been pushing myself hard for quite awhile. That said, twice a week I would go to do a very light arm workout with my uninjured arm and legs. Three days a week I'd ride the bike. I feel this helped me come back pretty quick.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I'll def be taking this time to work on my lagging muscles (legs and left arm) and see where that takes me... I just remember how annoying and long my left shoulder surgery was and the amount of time it took me to get back to where I was prior to the injury... so there's the psychological side of it as well, which sucks indeed.

ThaGerGuy3000

Awards
Meh, can't be helped, can it?
Just see it as a time to experiment.
There are a million excercises out there we are not using and almost all of them have their place.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Meh, can't be helped, can it?
Just see it as a time to experiment.
There are a million excercises out there we are not using and almost all of them have their place.
Nope... Cyst needs to be removed, it won't shrink on its own and right now it is impeding the nervous system so therefore I have very little strength on several angles with my shoulder, not to mention the pain.

I'm sure I'll get a few stares as I am doing pull ups, chin ups and dips on the assisted bodyweight machine. It will be interesting indeed.

ThaGerGuy3000

Awards
And if you invest in a book/s like dinosaur training you might actually learn a few excercises you will implement in you workouts from now on.
Just keep going, consume a ton of protein and try to dtay positive, gl and do tell how it works out!

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
And if you invest in a book/s like dinosaur training you might actually learn a few excercises you will implement in you workouts from now on.
Just keep going, consume a ton of protein and try to dtay positive, gl and do tell how it works out!
Thanks, going to look into this dinosaur training. And will also have to adjust my diet, I dont believe CBL will really work in this new endeavor lol.