5x5 training?

kp2012

Awards
For hypertrophy is the 5x5 method useful you guys think? I was thinking its more geared toward strength, but certain perimeters such as shorter rest and progressive overload would therefore help make it more toward hypertrophy. Your thoughts?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For hypertrophy is the 5x5 method useful you guys think? I was thinking its more geared toward strength?
That is because there is a correlation with the 2. Strength, power and size. Look at some WSM, PL'ers, or Oly lifters. The size of their body's along with the strength.
Even old Arnold bulk routines were like 4 sets of 6, so one can handle some heavier weight to build the big foundation parts.

A few things...
5x5 is good for say the big 3 maybe, but is a guideline too. 25 heavy reps total..!
5 sets of 5 squats or deads will build the legs and power and size throughout the posterior chain.
5x5 of BP's same issue with chest shoulders arms

Rowing can be done with maybe more reps ie: 4x8
Same with OHP's
Arm work can then be some higher reps ie: 6-12

Eating is always a marker of building SIZE. I know guys who lift 5 sets of 8-12 but stay in a calorie deficit so as to not gain BF, they do not really possess the heavier bulk in the large areas that others I know who use differing set and rep schemes but always are in a caloric surplus.

5x5 has enough proven history behind it. If one wants a good bulk and power builder, I don't know too many routines that are easy to follow and put on size and strength like a 5x5 with the big compounds and some eating.

amarula

Awards
That is because there is a correlation with the 2. Strength, power and size. Look at some WSM, PL'ers, or Oly lifters. The size of their body's along with the strength.
Even old Arnold bulk routines were like 4 sets of 6, so one can handle some heavier weight to build the big foundation parts.

A few things...
5x5 is good for say the big 3 maybe, but is a guideline too. 25 heavy reps total..!
5 sets of 5 squats or deads will build the legs and power and size throughout the posterior chain.
5x5 of BP's same issue with chest shoulders arms

Rowing can be done with maybe more reps ie: 4x8
Same with OHP's
Arm work can then be some higher reps ie: 6-12

Eating is always a marker of building SIZE. I know guys who lift 5 sets of 8-12 but stay in a calorie deficit so as to not gain BF, they do not really possess the heavier bulk in the large areas that others I know who use differing set and rep schemes but always are in a caloric surplus.

5x5 has enough proven history behind it. If one wants a good bulk and power builder, I don't know too many routines that are easy to follow and put on size and strength like a 5x5 with the big compounds and some eating.
I agree completely. I've used this method several times and always delivered

Joe_P

Awards
5x5 works, I have used it before. Really any type of progressive overload works as long as you stick with it.

tcslick

tcslick

Awards
I'll be starting a 5x5 program in dec, can't wait!

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just started this program after doing a 3 day traditional split for the entire year to date. The 100% 5x5 is punishing compared to inching up at 70-80% for 4x6-12.