RECOMP ROUTINE!

MyKH3LL

MyKH3LL

Awards
Hi everyone,

Fairly new here but have been enjoying the collective knowledge on this forum and the warm welcomes I've been receiving.

I was just hoping to get some feedback and advice on my day-to-day training/nutrition plan from minds more knowledgeable than my own :)

Appreciate anyone's input!

[GOALS -

- Shred the body fat that has accumulated from a sedentary lifestyle and poor diet choices as of late.
- Build big, hard muscles that will scare children and turn my woman into a gooey mess in my hands... LOL!
- Increase strength, mental clarity and focus and improve mood and energy levels.

CURRENT SUPPLEMENTS/VITAMINS -

- Protein (NZ Natural WPC)
- Creatine (1 TSP [approx 3g] PWO only)
- Amino Acids (currently using XTEND) during workout and often through the day to aid recovery/growth.
- Vitamins D, A, MegaFolinic, CoQ10, B12, Krill Oil, Glucosamine + Chondriotin < morning
- L-Glutamine x 3 per day in between meals.
- Kelp, Selenium, Magnesium + Potassium < before bed

NUTRITION -

Currently experimenting with a low carb / high protein / (moderately) high fat diet. An example of a daily eating plan would be something like;

A.M. TRAINING ON EMPTY STOMACH (If I wake up ravenous I will slam down a protein shake before I start)

PWO Shake - 1.5 cups of coconut water, organic Kale/Broccoli, banana, 1 cup of organic oats, small handful of frozen peas, 1 cup of frozen berries (mixed berry/blueberry/raspberry or strawberry) 1 scoop Protein powder, 1 TSP creatine, 1/2 TBSP MCT OIL.

Early morning - more often than not, another protein shake in 400ml filtered water. Sometimes this will be replaced with an additional small meal depending on how organised I have been the night before.

Lunch - Seasoned MEAT like steak, chicken etc. with salad > spinach leaves, shallots, cherry tomato, cucumber, red capsicum, avocado. Lately I have also been mixing some tabbouleh in with the salad too. Common alternative is scrambled eggs (2 whole - 6-10 whites depending) with basically the same additions.

Early arvo - Protein shake in 400ml filtered water.

Dinner - MEAT with salad again, or steamed veg like broccoli, cauliflower etc.

I try to eat more carbs roughly 2 times a week and do this in the form of some sweet potato 9 times out of ten. This is usually over the weekend and Wednesday night in prep for deadlifts the next morning.

FUTURE STACKS -

I've already ordered my next stack and waiting on its ar*****. This is consisting of Anabeta Elite, Erase Pro, Dopadex (muscle hardening stack from Nutraplanet) and I will be adding Alphamine (Australian version) and I am also considering the addition of DAA too. Anyone got some good DAA recommendations?

TRAINING -

I train at home and so I am limited in terms of equipment, but I have the basics needed to grow bigger; barbell, dumbbells a squat rack and a bench.

Each set I aim for 30 - 45 sec with the same rest period, this seems to get me anywhere from 8 - 12 reps in strict form depending on the lift. If I can't lift for 30 secs I know I'm using a weight too heavy for me at that moment. 45 secs and above I know it's time to add some plates. I push for 4 MAX sets of my major lifts with 3 sets for the supports.

My split is currently laid out as such;

Monday - LEGS

Squats, Romanian dead-lifts, calf raises and cable leg curls, leg ext. supersets

(I use that cheap Total Gym thing for all 'cable' exercises mentioned- don't hold that against me! haha)

Tuesday - CHEST / BICEPS

Flat bench press, DB incline press, dips for chest (leaning forward) close grip chin ups, preacher curls.

Wednesday - REST

Thursday - BACK / REAR DELTS

Dead-lifts, DB bent over rows (change arm to arm without rest) cable lat pull-down super-slow count to failure practically. Prone DB rear raises, cable face-pulls.

Friday - SHOULDER / TRICEPS

Seated DB overhead press, upright rows, lateral raises, overhead tricep extensions, dips (straight body / no lean) cable tricep pull-downs.

As I feel my shoulders are my weakest point and something I really want to grow quickly, I'm currently contemplating whether I could train them twice per week without over-training or possible injury? I've thought that I could add a DB seated press , upright rows and Lateral raises to my Chest day (and shift my bicep exercises back over to back day since they get secondary stress then anyways) and on Shoulder day do Standing BB press, seated DB Arnold presses and lateral raises with maybe the pyramid set structure? 1 rep, 1 sec rest. 2 reps, 2 sec rest > up to ten reps and back to one rep.

Welcome any feedback or advice! Always learning and experimenting and just want the best whether it's timing of supps or the lifts I'm doing.

Thanks in advance! :D

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is there a specific reason why you are splitting the W/O's like that?

IMO, training the upper body ie: chest, shoulders & arms can occur in 1 W/O and thus be hit 2x per week and expect good recovery and gains.
The back can certainly be trained on say deadlift day (with hips and legs) and one can split the legs with back and hips altering 2x per week also. ie: squats, rows, shrugs, bis, 1 day, deads, chins or pulldwns, core, grip. (or something along those lines.)
This way, you are training the largest body structures, w/ compound exercises and loading the spine 2x+ per week.
Especially as a novice or more or less even an intermed lifter, will benefit much more than the small muscle groups such as shoulders, chest, arms.
Just sayin'...!
Lastly, trying to keep down calories losing BF while gaining your biggest muscle size, is not the easiest route. Another reason (if you want to make your biggest overall systemic gains) to perhaps really concentrate on adding as much weight to your compounds ie: squat, deads, rows, BP's and standing OHP's, eating enough good food without a great deal of caloric restrictions, will show the greatest gains in muscular development and overall power throughout the entire body.
I can understand people may feel supplements and diet are important, but the best absolute gains, will come from the effort put into the compound exercises and adding weight to the bar on a reg basis first and foremost.

MyKH3LL

MyKH3LL

Awards
Is there a specific reason why you are splitting the W/O's like that?

IMO, training the upper body ie: chest, shoulders & arms can occur in 1 W/O and thus be hit 2x per week and expect good recovery and gains.
The back can certainly be trained on say deadlift day (with hips and legs) and one can split the legs with back and hips altering 2x per week also. ie: squats, rows, shrugs, bis, 1 day, deads, chins or pulldwns, core, grip. (or something along those lines.)
This way, you are training the largest body structures, w/ compound exercises and loading the spine 2x+ per week.
Especially as a novice or more or less even an intermed lifter, will benefit much more than the small muscle groups such as shoulders, chest, arms.
Just sayin'...!
Lastly, trying to keep down calories losing BF while gaining your biggest muscle size, is not the easiest route. Another reason (if you want to make your biggest overall systemic gains) to perhaps really concentrate on adding as much weight to your compounds ie: squat, deads, rows, BP's and standing OHP's, eating enough good food without a great deal of caloric restrictions, will show the greatest gains in muscular development and overall power throughout the entire body.
I can understand people may feel supplements and diet are important, but the best absolute gains, will come from the effort put into the compound exercises and adding weight to the bar on a reg basis first and foremost.
G'day Paul,

No, there's no 'specific' reason I split them like that and this is exactly why I wanted to open it up to the forum to get some feedback and advice. I am by no means an expert and just want to make sure I am spending my time training wisely! So thanks for taking the time to reply :)

I understand that caloric restrictions and muscle gains do not really go hand in hand, but to be honest, I'm never really hungry. I eat only quality food (grass fed meats, mostly organic fruit and veg when I can etc.) and just eat as much of that as I can, then supplement further with protein powders etc. to ensure I'm getting enough calories to grow. When it comes down to it, I would rather eat real food than drink a protein shake so that's always my priority. The vitamins are a carry-over from my research into the Bulletproof Diet and it really made me feel a lot better day in and day out so I've stuck with the basic principals, which from what I understand is very similar to the Anabolic Diet (high fat, high protein, low carb?) and since I have a cupboard full of these pills, I thought I may as well continue to take them rather than forget about them and the money spent on them! haha.

So, in terms of the split... You are saying that I can hit the big muscles 2 x per week, just with different exercises?

For example; Monday - Lower body | Tuesday - Upper body | Wednesday - REST | Thursday - Lower body | Friday - Upper body

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So, in terms of the split... You are saying that I can hit the big muscles 2 x per week, just with different exercises?

For example; Monday - Lower body | Tuesday - Upper body | Wednesday - REST | Thursday - Lower body | Friday - Upper body
Sure, and especially if you are not advanced and using poundages that really eat into energy.
I think the mistake is, when novices go by the training regimens of highly advanced men, because as a lower level or novice trainee, the body has a much higher ability to adapt and recover, since it is less overall trained and the loads being used by less experienced trainees, do not inroad the body's recovery ability like an advanced guy using upwards of #250-#300 pound presses, #350-#400 pound squats and #450-#500 pound DL's.
I also think novices make the mistake of putting to much emphasis on the smaller showy muscles like the chest, arms & maybe shoulders. (3 of the smaller groups), when, if the majority of focus and effort were put on the hips, legs, & back, (the largest structures of the body) they would most likely see pretty big improvements in all over size, body weight and mass, along with pretty big strength, higher work capacity & fitness gains.

It is why I usually always suggest concentration on the 5-7 big compound exercises and a routine like a 5x5 by one of the many gurus, that have been there and done that. Instead of guys who are just shotgunning in thee dark, looking to get a big BP and 18" arms.

MyKH3LL

MyKH3LL

Awards
Sure, and especially if you are not advanced and using poundages that really eat into energy.
I think the mistake is, when novices go by the training regimens of highly advanced men, because as a lower level or novice trainee, the body has a much higher ability to adapt and recover, since it is less overall trained and the loads being used by less experienced trainees, do not inroad the body's recovery ability like an advanced guy using upwards of #250-#300 pound presses, #350-#400 pound squats and #450-#500 pound DL's.
I also think novices make the mistake of putting to much emphasis on the smaller showy muscles like the chest, arms & maybe shoulders. (3 of the smaller groups), when, if the majority of focus and effort were put on the hips, legs, & back, (the largest structures of the body) they would most likely see pretty big improvements in all over size, body weight and mass, along with pretty big strength, higher work capacity & fitness gains.

It is why I usually always suggest concentration on the 5-7 big compound exercises and a routine like a 5x5 by one of the many gurus, that have been there and done that. Instead of guys who are just shotgunning in thee dark, looking to get a big BP and 18" arms.
Hmmmm, now I am in now way doing lifts CLOSE to those weights but it's still at my maximum effort. This doesn't make a difference? I know I'm freak'n feeling every single rep I did from my Monday session at the moment haha. Walking around like I've been riding a horse for the first time or something... :p

Sorry to seem dense, but what exercises would you exactly recommend on a split like this to focus on those hips, legs, back muscles primarily?

Lower Body Day One: Squats / Romanian Deadlifts (I don't really have the hamstring flexibility to do stiff legs confidently) Lunges?

Upper Body Day One: Bench... Push presses? What else?

Lower Body Day Two: Deadlifts... ?

Upper Body Day Two: ...help

Thanks dude, appreciate your insight. My PES stack will be here any day now so if I can get a better routine organised, I'll kick start it with that cycle! :D

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Uhm. You just mentioned PES and you are asking the questions you are and have nearly admitted the top end of your maxes, which are low, you are NOT ready for PES. It will cause far more harm at this point I. Your lifting career.

Think of PES as an ace card. You only get one. Use it too soon, like most people, and you are likely only going to hurt yourself. Wait tillnyour body is ready for it. If you are not sure what that means you definitely are not ready for it.

MyKH3LL

MyKH3LL

Awards
Uhm. You just mentioned PES and you are asking the questions you are and have nearly admitted the top end of your maxes, which are low, you are NOT ready for PES. It will cause far more harm at this point I. Your lifting career.

Think of PES as an ace card. You only get one. Use it too soon, like most people, and you are likely only going to hurt yourself. Wait tillnyour body is ready for it. If you are not sure what that means you definitely are not ready for it.
Hey Ozzie,

Sorry, but what are you saying exactly?

I'm already lifting over my body weight in all the major lifts so to be fair I'm not exactly a complete n0Ob. Admittedly, I use to train quite a bit heavier but after a year (or has it been two?) off that started with an injury and continued when I took a new, exhausting job, I simply fell out of the routine...

I was regularly pushing out over 2 x my body weight in squats, deads (sometimes a little more than 2 times) and was very close to that in bench until I had that break and I'm quickly pushing back up to those kind of numbers now, that's my immediate goal. I'm only an 80-85 kg guy so I'll never do the numbers some other board members do because I'm just not physically built for it, but I felt for my size I had good pound-for-pound strength and that's what I'm chasing now and so I don't see how a 2 month cycle of supps is going to hinder my progress?

And I'm confused as to what you mean by "you only get one" because it's not like the body will adapt to this cycle and therefore it will never have an effect on me ever again right? I can run it again in the future.

I understand you saying to me to make sure the timing is right, but when isn't it a good time to naturally boost your test and energy levels if your diet is good and you're training regularly? I'm not relying on this like a miracle product but all other aspects of my life are in check so I can't see the harm?

As I'm also a few months shy of 30, I feel the natural boost to my testosterone can only be a good thing! I ran a bottle of ISA TEST and felt my strength, energy and mood all increase for the better and I'm hoping to get that again but do it more seriously this time around with better products. I will then take some time off from supplements like that and let my body adjust and once our summer months are completely over I will look at starting another natural cycle to help bulk and grow as much as possible while introducing more carbs back into my diet to assist in that.

Don't mean to sound like an ass, so sorry if it comes across that way haha, thanks for taking the time to contribute to the thread though ;)

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
my point is that you never gain as much as your first cycle.

as for strength, i weigh about the same as you and push 2.5 to 3 times my body weight. there are guys i know that are on roids and are well experienced and educated about them and they have clearly informed me i am in no way ready for them. im 39 and i have been in sports for about 20 years lifting most of that time. at 30, if you are so low on test in your body that you need to supplement let a doctor decide and monitor that cycle. at your age your natural test should be more than high enough.

also, are your tendons ready? your muscle may get way bigger and stronger but your tendons dont. ever wonder how so many athletes rip a muscle? can you figure it out from what i just wrote?

here is a link where dave tate is quoted as saying steroids are an ace card:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sex_news_sports_funny_grok/steroids_forever

if you are going to take them, learn the when and how. IMO you are not ready. so you will NOT get all of what you think you will out of it.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards

as for strength, i weigh about the same as you and push 2.5 to 3 times my body weight. there are guys i know that are on roids and are well experienced and educated about them and they have clearly informed me i am in no way ready for them. im 39 and i have been in sports for about 20 years lifting most of that time. at 30, if you are so low on test in your body that you need to supplement let a doctor decide and monitor that cycle. at your age your natural test should be more than high enough.

also, are your tendons ready? your muscle may get way bigger and stronger but your tendons dont. ever wonder how so many athletes rip a muscle? can you figure it out from what i just wrote?

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sex_news_sports_funny_grok/steroids_forever

if you are going to take them, learn the when and how. IMO you are not ready. so you will NOT get all of what you think you will out of it.

MyKH3LL

MyKH3LL

Awards

Thanks for the reply Ozzie.

I'm not taking steroids though...? My stack was going to be Alphamine, Anabeta and Erase with some DAA.

This is an all natural stack/cycle yeah?

I was considering seeing a doctor just to get an accurate measurement of my test, but I was simply saying that just from one bottle of Isa Test I felt some real positive side effects and wouldn't mind feeling that good again ;)

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hmmmm, now I am in now way doing lifts CLOSE to those weights but it's still at my maximum effort. This doesn't make a difference? I know I'm freak'n feeling every single rep I did from my Monday session at the moment haha. Walking around like I've been riding a horse for the first time or something... :p
From my experiences and all my years of training, if your goals are to gain mass, power and strength throughout the entire body and make it bigger and larger, it is better to focus on the big compound lifts working the largest muscles, system and structures of the body and use them more or less exclusively in your program as much as possible.

Also, it is far far easier, to have only one goal, and stick with it until it is hit. (it is going to be hard to get bigger and try working from a calorie deficit to get shredded) Otherwise your focus wains trying to serve 2 or 3 different ones.

Have you looked into any proven 5x5 routines or upper lower splits, stuff like that?

Lastly, ANY supplements will NEVER deliver much if anything, IF YOUR TRAINING, is less than optimal, period. Honestly, make a good routine your focus and work it hard and eat some good solid balanced food and you will hit goals.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
ANY supplements will NEVER deliver much if anything, IF YOUR TRAINING, is less than optimal, period. Honestly, make a good routine your focus and work it hard and eat some good solid balanced food and you will hit goals.
very important point. supplements do just that, supplement. so if your routine and diet sucks, you are supplementing suckage.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like the suggestions Paul made on your program. I would think about diving your workout plan into an upper/lower split in such a way you hit your upper and lower body twice a week. And since you only have the basics, plus your 1 exercise machine, you can do the most effective exercises.

It's up to you whether you eventually decide to do a standard routine out there or do your own. The advantages of trying out a proven routine is that the periodization is already planned out for you more or less and it's your job to just go in to the gym and do the work. Obviously the better programs and methods are those that allow for more flexibility in exercise/weight selection, but on the other hand those are normally better suited for people who have many years of consistent experience under the bar and know their body well and know what works for them and what doesn't.

So that said, a suggestion of how you might divide your program could be:

Upper A1: horizontal press, triceps, horizontal back (rows), rear delt work or facepulls. Biceps optional

Lower B1: squats, unilateral leg work, leg curls with hip extension, calves, abs. Cable rows or pulldowns (for back) optional

Upper A2: vertical press, triceps, vertical rows (pullup variation), facepulls. Biceps and shrugs optional

Lower B2: deadlifts, hamstrings (in the form of goodmornings, romanian deadlifts, SLDL), unilateral leg work (optional), calves, abs. Again, cable rows/pulldowns, or even a free weight row optional

-Horizontal press: flat bench, DB bench, incline bench, DB incline bench
-Triceps: presses (close grip bench, JM press, dips) and extensions (elbows in DB extensions, rolling DB extensions, barbell extensions, elbows out extensions, cable pushdowns)
-Rows: DB rows, bent over barbell rows, chest supported DB rows
-Leg curls with hip extension: T NATION | Leg Curls 2.0
-Vertical press: standing barbell overhead press, standing DB overhead press, etc.

MyKH3LL

MyKH3LL

Awards
I like the suggestions Paul made on your program. I would think about diving your workout plan into an upper/lower split in such a way you hit your upper and lower body twice a week. And since you only have the basics, plus your 1 exercise machine, you can do the most effective exercises.

It's up to you whether you eventually decide to do a standard routine out there or do your own. The advantages of trying out a proven routine is that the periodization is already planned out for you more or less and it's your job to just go in to the gym and do the work. Obviously the better programs and methods are those that allow for more flexibility in exercise/weight selection, but on the other hand those are normally better suited for people who have many years of consistent experience under the bar and know their body well and know what works for them and what doesn't.

So that said, a suggestion of how you might divide your program could be:

Upper A1: horizontal press, triceps, horizontal back (rows), rear delt work or facepulls. Biceps optional

Lower B1: squats, unilateral leg work, leg curls with hip extension, calves, abs. Cable rows or pulldowns (for back) optional

Upper A2: vertical press, triceps, vertical rows (pullup variation), facepulls. Biceps and shrugs optional

Lower B2: deadlifts, hamstrings (in the form of goodmornings, romanian deadlifts, SLDL), unilateral leg work (optional), calves, abs. Again, cable rows/pulldowns, or even a free weight row optional

-Horizontal press: flat bench, DB bench, incline bench, DB incline bench
-Triceps: presses (close grip bench, JM press, dips) and extensions (elbows in DB extensions, rolling DB extensions, barbell extensions, elbows out extensions, cable pushdowns)
-Rows: DB rows, bent over barbell rows, chest supported DB rows
-Leg curls with hip extension: T NATION | Leg Curls 2.0
-Vertical press: standing barbell overhead press, standing DB overhead press, etc.
Sorry for the slow reply, but thanks so much dude!

This is single-handedly the most helpful post I've read since joining the forum.

I'm excited to change up the program with the insight you and PaulBlack have now provided! :D

MyKH3LL

MyKH3LL

Awards
Have you looked into any proven 5x5 routines or upper lower splits, stuff like that?
Not really, I mean, once upon a time I switched it up to 5x5 for my big lifts (squats/dead/bench) and 3 x 8-12 reps for my support lifts (overheads/rows/SLDL)

That was actually the last program I was attempting before I injured my knee, took time off and sadly, never got back into the routine... :(

Is there any particular programs out there you guys can recommend I check out with this structure? Not afraid of a bit of research! I would of course, much rather be properly informed on everything.

Thanks again guys! :D

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not really, I mean, once upon a time I switched it up to 5x5 for my big lifts (squats/dead/bench) and 3 x 8-12 reps for my support lifts (overheads/rows/SLDL)
How did that set up and exercises work for you?

MyKH3LL

MyKH3LL

Awards
How did that set up and exercises work for you?
Hmmm, I'm sure I already quoted and answered this but the comment seems to have disappeared... oh well, TAKE TWO!

It was working quite well for me actually, I had a mate recommend that set up for me but I was also trying to bulk up a bit at the time so my carbs and total calories were MASSIVELY different to what I'm doing now I guess. I had also been lifting for a while at that point and wasn't progressing much further, so my friend suggested this to keep it fresh and help me blast through my plateaus.

I'm going to give it a crack again starting next week with the suggestions you and Torobestia have given me - 4 day Upper/Lower body split with my main lift at 5x5 and supports at 3 x 8 - 12. I'll be starting my PES stack of Anabeta Elite, Erase Pro, Alphamine and DAA to coincide with this change in program too so hopefully between these new factors it will set a fire under my a5s and I'll see some good body composition changes over the next 8 weeks! *fingers crossed*

Won't be making any changes to diet, keeping the carbs relatively low except for weekends (and PWO) when I load on some delicious sweet potato, otherwise I'm trying to keep protein and good fats relatively high through the week with grass fed red meats, chicken, raw nuts, avocado, MCT Oil being the staples and a mix of fresh salads and steamed veg... Getting an additional WPC shake in through the day (over the PWO shake in the morning) and ordered some casein protein to have before bed to hopefully assist in recovery and that big fasting period.

After that I'll see where I'm at and possibly do a higher volume, lighter weight set up for the remainder of summer and maybe even have a week off to let my body and joints recover a little before upping the calories, carbs and loads and trying to get as big as possible during the colder months... :)

Mikeyjd

Mikeyjd

Awards
My tips:

#1 Be very consistent
#2 Enjoy the process
#3 Experiment slowly
#4 Spend as much time working out as you spend studying about "how" to work :)
#5 Be safe and have fun! :)

MyKH3LL

MyKH3LL

Awards
My tips:

#1 Be very consistent
#2 Enjoy the process
#3 Experiment slowly
#4 Spend as much time working out as you spend studying about "how" to work :)
#5 Be safe and have fun! :)
Thanks Mikey! I sure will be having fun, I love being back into my training and feeling positive about everything :)

I've been looking at changing it up slightly, since introducing Dopadex to my daily dosing I'm struggling to get up at 5am and get under the bar! I can't say it's exactly a result of this new supp just yet but it's been the only change. I'm keeping an eye on it though ;)

I'm thinking to wake up at 6 am and hit some fasted HIIT cardio and abs followed with a smoothie for breakfast... or maybe do some Intermittent Fasting if I can get someone more knowledgeable to weigh in on this. I could push out my first "meal" to say 10 or 10:30 am which would be a smoothie > much like mentioned in my posts above. Lunch would be lean meat/chicken and salad with a good hit of avocado for more good fats... Early arvo would be Casein shake with water. Pre-workout just as I leave work so I can get home (40-60 mins travel) and train hard and heavy! Slam down my PWO shake with oats for my carb hit straight after last rep and within 60-90 mins gorge on a nice dinner with more lean meat/chicken and steamed veg - maybe even a little sweet potato too!

I think that's a good plan... hopefully.