Squats or Deads

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Deads. My squats are limited by shoulder injuries and are uncomfortable. I get by using a multitude of squat techniques to try and make up for it. Lately I've only been squating up to 225-275 depending on how I feel then switch to front box squats and work up to 275-315(again weight is dictated by shoulder condition that day). Leg day is frustrating but everyone has their shlt I suppose. I love doing deads and find them most gratifying. my shoulder injuries do limit me somewhat but I can still pull 405 which in the weightlifting world isn't a lot but in my world that's seen the inside of an ER more times in 8 years then most will see in two lifetimes , its very satisfying. I'm looking forward to pulling a 500lb dead one of these days. I just start doing deads from a deficit and incorporated some new posterior and lateral delt lifts to build up what ill need to advance without tearing my shoulders out again. Look twice for bikers god damnit!

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
both, a SQT isnt a DL and a DL isnt a SQT. do both a grow

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you remove squats please try legpress or hack squat. If you remove deads please do some back extensions/lower back work.

Do what works for you
I do sumo deads and do box,regular squats and hack squats.

Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister

Awards
  • Established
Deads. My squats are limited by shoulder injuries and are uncomfortable. I get by using a multitude of squat techniques to try and make up for it. Lately I've only been squating up to 225-275 depending on how I feel then switch to front box squats and work up to 275-315(again weight is dictated by shoulder condition that day). Leg day is frustrating but everyone has their shlt I suppose. I love doing deads and find them most gratifying. my shoulder injuries do limit me somewhat but I can still pull 405 which in the weightlifting world isn't a lot but in my world that's seen the inside of an ER more times in 8 years then most will see in two lifetimes , its very satisfying. I'm looking forward to pulling a 500lb dead one of these days. I just start doing deads from a deficit and incorporated some new posterior and lateral delt lifts to build up what ill need to advance without tearing my shoulders out again. Look twice for bikers god damnit!
I'm in the same boat. I'd recommend an SS Bar. Only way I cam squat now with my shoulders. I have heard decent things about Dave Drapers contraption. I think it's called a Top Squat. For squatting with bad shoulders.

PROness

Awards
Squats... more specifically the overhead or front squat variants because they require the greatest amount of skill.

Also, when you get a bigger squat you get a bigger deadlift, the inverse isn't always true due to the deadlifts limited ROM.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Squats. I squat more than I pull-therefore I like them better.

Jcweinsx

Awards
They're 2 different animals, but I don't think that's the point of your question. If you don't have injuries and want to be strong you do both. DL put a lot of muscle on my back. I like squats but love DL, mainly cause I consistently hit better #s than squats. I have to be really recovered to make my squat #. My squat is very inconsistent - some weeks i can squat a similar weight for 10s when ive struggled for a tripple the week or two before. I can DL with a little fatigue in upper body and legs and still hit my #s. It would suck if you were limited and had to pick 1.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Deadlift has always been my go to lift, but lately squats have been rewarding since it has been increasing. Doubt I will ever squat close to what I deadlift.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Never in my life would I pick either squats or dead lifts.
It's like asking if we like women or ladies

BOTH!! Just not on the same day, except for the W&L, but that hasn't happened in a long long time

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you are asking "preference" then pulling. But you gotta do both if you can, to reap the most.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Never in my life would I pick either squats or dead lifts.
It's like asking if we like women or ladies

BOTH!! Just not on the same day, except for the W&L, but that hasn't happened in a long long time
For a little while I was actually doing S and D on the same day. Pretty brutal day especially since I don't like going light.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For a little while I was actually doing S and D on the same day. Pretty brutal day especially since I don't like going light.
I still do. I make it a lighter squat day, but find squats a good warmer for my legs prior to deads

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I still do. I make it a lighter squat day, but find squats a good warmer for my legs prior to deads
Well my change has been fairly recent. Started training with someone else and didn't feel like making the weight changes for deadlifts. Squats are 5 reps and deadlifts 3 reps.

My limiting factor for deadlift seemed to be my grip. Which hasnt been an issue before. So I got some realish chalk.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
My limiting factor is my low back... my grip is steel from choking btches lol

ITW

ITW

Awards
My grip is steel too haha. Unfortunately my limiting factor is being weak from the floor. Once that btch is up a few inches I'm gtg

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Haha well I shouldn't say my grip because that really isn't the issue. The bars are so cheap they roll without chalk. The past has proven I have a mean grip.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
My grip feels good no matter what weight, my issue is keeping my ass down at higher weights. I PR'd today with a 450lb pull.
My squats on the other hand....I don't wanna talk about it

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I still do them both. If I deadlift heavy I do med squats and if I am working speed deads or something, then I squat pretty heavy first.

PROness

Awards
I still do them both. If I deadlift heavy I do med squats and if I am working speed deads or something, then I squat pretty heavy first.
You don't really "need" to deadlift, especially if you're in the PL game, let alone do it the same day as squats.

If your squat goes up... alakazam... so does your deadlift. I've had some of my best overall gains doing a heavy set for 3 or 5 everyother week while squatting twice a week heavy. Why kill yourself doing both the same day when all you really need is one?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You don't really "need" to deadlift, especially if you're in the PL game, let alone do it the same day as squats.

If your squat goes up... alakazam... so does your deadlift. I've had some of my best overall gains doing a heavy set for 3 or 5 everyother week while squatting twice a week heavy. Why kill yourself doing both the same day when all you really need is one?
Ummm...

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

It is not really true for me, as I have tried it and am built much more for pulling and can at times do it 2-3 times per week without getting beat up. Not true with squatting for me.
I am also not from the Vince Anello school that you can raise the dead without deads.
As far as killing myself, I notice being able to do it, (both) brings up my capacity and adaptation for lots of heavy work in one session, which has helped me too I believe.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It is not really true for me, as I have tried it and am built much more for pulling and can at times do it 2-3 times per week without getting beat up. Not true with squatting for me.
I am also not from the Vince Anello school that you can raise the dead without deads.
As far as killing myself, I notice being able to do it, (both) brings up my capacity and adaptation for lots of heavy work in one session, which has helped me too I believe.
Bingo.

Thanked by Swanson52.

PROness

Awards
I feel bad for your joints but whatever works for you...

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I feel bad for your joints but whatever works for you...
Do you mean low back?, since I think knees take a rougher beating with heavy and or deeper squatting!? And the guys who are not deadlifting every week, are most likely doing some other posterior chain move ie: GM's, RDL's, pull thrus, maybe!? I know a few older guys able to still pull well, but not much on the squat. There again, I think it is what you are more built for.
My low back seems fine at 50+ years old and yes I have had my twinges, but some of them came from squatting not pulling.
Even if some of that work along with squats is speed work and or some accommodating and or less ROM rack pulls, I see it helping me pulling every week.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I also think the general consensus behind some of the deadlift every other week, (maybe some of the WSB stuff) is from more the apparent beating the CNS takes, from regular heavy pulling. But I am from the school, (and you have to see some of DH's vids) that the CNS can be trained to adapt, just like a lot of other body systems and parts.
As you stated earlier, whatever works for you.
Lastly, I love it so much, that I would rather DL than pick up lotto winnings, but I am a bit skewed, I will admit ;-)

PROness

Awards
I also think the general consensus behind some of the deadlift every other week, (maybe some of the WSB stuff) is from more the apparent beating the CNS takes, from regular heavy pulling. But I am from the school, (and you have to see some of DH's vids) that the CNS can be trained to adapt, just like a lot of other body systems and parts.
As you stated earlier, whatever works for you.
Lastly, I love it so much, that I would rather DL than pick up lotto winnings, but I am a bit skewed, I will admit ;-)
The CNS is amazing but after doing heavy met cons day in and day out i don't think my CNS could take much more, let alone deadlift. I can squat heavy till the cows come home (thank you Bulgarian training) but DLing is another story.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Both are extremely important. Infact, they're both the top most essential exercises for overall muscle growth.

If you're asking which one we like better, I'll say deadlifts. I just love the grip strength, calluses it puts on my hands and extreme strength it puts in your forearms and lower back.

pmdied

Awards
Figured I'd ask this question here rather than start another thread so here it goes;
My thighs are still a little bit sore from Saturday morning's squat workout. I'd like to stay on schedule and deadlift today but wasn't sure if its a wise move. I feel good but have read conflicting articles about DOMS and its effect on training. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Figured I'd ask this question here rather than start another thread so here it goes;
My thighs are still a little bit sore from Saturday morning's squat workout. I'd like to stay on schedule and deadlift today but wasn't sure if its a wise move. I feel good but have read conflicting articles about DOMS and its effect on training. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.
You're gonna have to be your own judge on that one man! Are you sore or are you injured has to be your main question. I would say give yourself a decent warmup, toss in some foam rolling, and start light to see how it feels. Once you break up the lactic acid you may be good to go

pmdied

Awards
You're gonna have to be your own judge on that one man! Are you sore or are you injured has to be your main question. I would say give yourself a decent warmup, toss in some foam rolling, and start light to see how it feels. Once you break up the lactic acid you may be good to go
Thanks! Its just some muscle soreness, mainly in the quads. Nothing structural or low back related. Ill do what you suggested and see how the warmup goes.

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
good advice right here^......also don't worry too much on taking an extra rest day....you grow while resting;)

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
good advice right here^......also don't worry too much on taking an extra rest day....you grow while resting;)
Took me a long time to finally do this vs talk about doing this

pmdied

Awards
Took me a long time to finally do this vs talk about doing this
Well, my deadlift workout went very well and was able to increase my weight/reps. That said, I'm going to take the next couple of days off. ;)

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Well, my deadlift workout went very well and was able to increase my weight/reps. That said, I'm going to take the next couple of days off. ;)
Nice work! Good call on the rest days too! Whenever I hit a new big weight I give myself a day or two to bask in its glory (and by that I mean recover)

Jericoe

Jericoe

Awards
They go hand in hand.

I love them both equally.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
They go hand in hand.

I love them both equally.
I find the people who hate them use horrid form or go wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to ****ing heavy.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
or go wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to ****ing heavy.
thats what i call "hey yall look at my d1ck" lifting

i see many guys at my gym load 315# on a bar and dip thier ass 5-6" and call that a sqt......its really really sad

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
thats what i call "hey yall look at my d1ck" lifting
Yeah. Half reps are different though. I go heavy as **** on squats I can only go down half way but that's with 400 on the bar. Lol.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
Yeah. Half reps are different though. I go heavy as **** on squats I can only go down half way but that's with 400 on the bar. Lol.
true........i dont do OLY style with my ass 2" off the ground, but i always make sure im at a good "power meet" depth (hip joint below top of quad)

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
true........i dont do OLY style with my ass 2" off the ground, but i always make sure im at a good "power meet" depth (hip joint below top of quad)
There you go man. Good way to look at it. I just added box squats and that's about as low as I go. Ofcourse I'm 6'5 and my rom is an issue but man I feel it!

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
There you go man. Good way to look at it. I just added box squats and that's about as low as I go. Ofcourse I'm 6'5 and my rom is an issue but man I feel it!
i could never get used to box sqts.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
i could never get used to box sqts.
You gotta go about 60% lighter on them but they have helped my depth.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dumb question...box squats??
Basically get a flat bench. Set it underneath you so that you can sit on it. Load the weight on the bar,sit and stand up. Simple but man does it hurt good!