Squats or Deads

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Ok, that's what I thought, just making sure I wasn't missing anything here.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Okay that's exactly what I do but instead of using a "box" which my gym does not have I use a similar surface.
You didn't describe it like that's what you do. The shin angle is very deliberate and it is supposed to put a lot of tension in the PC.

hvylifter

hvylifter

Awards
  • Established
If physically capable, do both. Different animals. Lacking allot if you pass them up.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You have to be careful squatting to a box, or having any kind of surface stop you from butt to shoulders with bar on you, unless you have some experience and (or a little hands on coaching might help), since some people do not realize, you are pinning the spine between 2 hard surfaces if you hit or drop onto the box wrong or fatigued.
Personally, I think it is somewhat overrated for the vast majority, or especially raw lifters. One can get very very strong just doing reg BB squats to parallel, or nearly getting the top of the hip to knee level or below. Even pause squats to pins is a great strength builder.

hvylifter

hvylifter

Awards
  • Established
You have to be careful squatting to a box, or having any kind of surface stop you from butt to shoulders with bar on you, unless you have some experience and (or a little hands on coaching might help), since some people do not realize, you are pinning the spine between 2 hard surfaces if you hit or drop onto the box wrong or fatigued.
Personally, I think it is somewhat overrated for the vast majority, or especially raw lifters. One can get very very strong just doing reg BB squats to parallel, or nearly getting the top of the hip to knee level or below. Even pause squats to pins is a great strength builder.
Very good point. My fiancee is healing from spinal surgery from 2 compressed/crushed verts. Start light as hell and be very gentle when you touch that bench. It won't be giving, and neither will your back. I personally hate box squats or anything of the sort. Squat. You get to 500 plus and plateau, maybe a way to go higher..... I hate box squats. Lol. Hard enough on your back just doing squats period. I love squats. Kick the box out of the way LOL. I got to 860 with no box. Js.