Compound shoulder exercise

iddc

iddc

Awards
I know most of you would say military press is the best for packing on mass, but the problem is im scared that my bad right shoulder blade would become worse if i went heavy on this exercise, (i could only lower the bar+plates till mouth level, any lower and it hurts).

in the past i've always done DB shoulder presses, i could go fairly heavy but i was wondering if there are other better alternatives, is there any other exercise you guys can recommend? we also have a leverage press machine. or should i suck it up and stick with the Military press or DB shoulder press?

any comments, suggestions appreciated thanks.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Standing overhead press. Nothing is better for the delts than that.

iddc

iddc

Awards
thanks! but wouldn't that stress my shoulders the same way as standard military presses?

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Push press. Same as standing press but use leg drive. Sounds like it would be worse but I find it causes less shoulder pain. You could also give the bradford press a try. Do you do any external rotations? My shoulders took a beating. Years ago I added external rotations and it made a huge diffrence.

iddc

iddc

Awards
i've done some external rotations on an incline bench for warm up it helps alot! but i've never incorporated it into a workout. could i ask how?

iddc

iddc

Awards
Not if you keep your elbows in the proper track. Most people tend to flare them instead of keeping them in front.
hmmmm it does seem like my elbows are flaring, gona watch some pressing vids!

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i've done some external rotations on an incline bench for warm up it helps alot! but i've never incorporated it into a workout. could i ask how?
Usually it is advised to do the rotator cuff work ie: lying-L-flyes etc. at the end of a W/O, since you do not want to fatigue these little muscles first, then do heavy work with them. Also very light weight #2 1/2-#5 pounds is all you need to start. 3x10 perhaps.

Plus another vote for "standing" OHP's and also the push press with a slow return.
In the PP, you can use more than you could on a strict press, getting past the sticking point, then use the easier ROM to use the heavier weight to get it overhead. Then return to shoulders with say a 5 count.

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Usually it is advised to do the rotator cuff work ie: lying-L-flyes etc. at the end of a W/O, since you do not want to fatigue these little muscles first, then do heavy work with them. Also very light weight #2 1/2-#5 pounds is all you need to start. 3x10 perhaps.

Plus another vote for "standing" OHP's and also the push press with a slow return.
In the PP, you can use more than you could on a strict press, getting past the sticking point, then use the easier ROM to use the heavier weight to get it overhead. Then return to shoulders with say a 5 count.
I don't believe the volume or intensity he would be using as a warm-up or for corrective exercise would disqualify it from being used prior to heavy pressing or any lift.

KimChee

KimChee

Awards
I think you should do scapular stability and strengthening exercises, scapular packing for scapular stabilization, scaption, internal/external rotation (subscapularis/teres minor infraspinatus), if you are going to insist on overhead pressing movements. You should also incorporate Houghston's to increase RTC muscle strength and stability. I get a lot of the symptoms of adhesive capulitis, and I haven't done as much military presses in a long time. I used to love doing heavy seated military presses on the smith machine. It may look weird, but you should have your palms facing you when doing shoulder flexion (front raises), and palm facing out away with thumb coming up from you when doing shoulder abduction (side laterals) this will also help keep some of the tendons from getting pinched under the acromial arch.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think you can do them (rotator cuff work, scapula stabilizers, etc.) prior to working out for correctives and activations, and towards the end of the workout (or on lower body days) for more strength based fatiguing work.

I've been putting together a bunch of video's for correctives for the shoulder. The thread is here http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/220965-scapular-activations.html

I have also been adding a "how to" and uses description to the video's on my site. I will slowly populate all of them over the next month or so.
http://jasoncholewa.com/category/videos/mobility-exercises/

Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS

iddc

iddc

Awards
the pain hits when i lower the weights and my elbows are below 90 deg. then both my shoulders feel like they've popped ( or clicked) if keep my elbows only to 90 degrees i feel that the form is completely wrong and my delts don't get much work.

the problem with my right shoulder is near the joint area if i put my right elbow in a 90 degree position and mimic a front raise, as my elbow is in-line with my forehead there's a clicking sound, if i do it again it doesn't happen anymore. then after a while it's back. it has only been a problem when doing 1 arm cable front raises.

napalm

napalm

Awards
The clicking in and of itself really doesn't mean anything. It does however sound like your impinging the a/c joint...

iddc

iddc

Awards
The clicking in and of itself really doesn't mean anything. It does however sound like your impinging the a/c joint...
woah that sound's scary.. i've read that you had to do various stretching programs and strength programs to thelp overcome it..

iddc

iddc

Awards
I think you can do them (rotator cuff work, scapula stabilizers, etc.) prior to working out for correctives and activations, and towards the end of the workout (or on lower body days) for more strength based fatiguing work.

I've been putting together a bunch of video's for correctives for the shoulder. The thread is here

I have also been adding a "how to" and uses description to the video's on my site. I will slowly populate all of them over the next month or so.

just saw the thread! nice! all i've done before was circles, and rotation on an incline.. thanks! how many should i do to get the shoulder warmed up enough but not to the point of weakening it?

can these be done on NWD even if on the next day you're gona hit shoulders?

i have 3 nwds chest-bi/ legs/ rest/ shoulders-tri/ rest/ back/ rest.. (still thinking about doing back first before shoulders) planning to do them on all 3.

it's partly my fault, bad form on chest exercises etc etc, and i didn\t develop my shoulders during the early stages, they lagged behind as my other body parts grew stronger. the reason is shoulder exercises did put alot of stress in my shoulders and have always been my weakest body part.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am not sure what NWD stands for, but you can do those exercises every day, and I would recommend doing a variety of them every week. I do 1-2 sets of 6-8 repetitions as part of the warm up.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am not sure what NWD stands for, but you can do those exercises every day, and I would recommend doing a variety of them every week. I do 1-2 sets of 6-8 repetitions as part of the warm up.

I'm going to guess non workout days.

alaskabound

Awards
superman pushups!! handstand with feet leaning on the wall and push up and down, awesome for building shoulder mass!!

iddc

iddc

Awards
thanks guys for your help, hopefully my shoulders become stronger and catch up to my other body parts.

iddc

iddc

Awards
OH S**T, as i try to do OHPs properly, when the bar moves to overhead position the right shoulder starts to click!

KimChee

KimChee

Awards
It's not so much the clicking and popping, but if you're having pain with those noises, some degree of clicking and popping is normal. napalm is right it sounds like youre are getting shoulder impingment, pinching under the acromial arch. This is often caused by overhead movements. Really work on scapular stability and the RTC muscles, this will help with stability and positioning in the joint.

napalm

napalm

Awards
It's not so much the clicking and popping, but if you're having pain with those noises, some degree of clicking and popping is normal. napalm is right it sounds like youre are getting shoulder impingment, pinching under the acromial arch. This is often caused by overhead movements. Really work on scapular stability and the RTC muscles, this will help with stability and positioning in the joint.
yeppers, benching incorrectly (the source of my impingement issues yrs ago) and neglect of back work is another big cause of impingement, and most likely the cause around here. it took me a long time to figure this out. i'm now like 3:1 pulls to presses.

forward rounding shoulders are not cool, don't be that guy...

iddc

iddc

Awards
sorry for the late reply there was somthing wrong with the notifications.. i thought nobody replied anymore.. doing those exercises everyday now, 2 sets 6-8 reps, 2 exercises.. i'm sure 100% it was caused by my improper bench form! now i'm keeping the shoulder blades tight and pressed together, plus i try to keep my elbows near my side and less flared..

"forward rounding shoulders are not cool, don't be that guy..." - is this too big on front delts and small rear delts?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
"forward rounding shoulders are not cool, don't be that guy..." - is this too big on front delts and small rear delts?
Partly the look. And tight pecs and underactive middle traps/rhomboids. Shoulder blades pushed forward.

iddc

iddc

Awards
Partly the look. And tight pecs and underactive middle traps/rhomboids. Shoulder blades pushed forward.

hmmm, partly me too, but overall i don't have big front delts, average. my side delts are bigger and as for my rear delts.... woah almost lost em there! hehe.. pecs aint tight either (shoulder sometimes bothers my chest press strength) gotta work them middle traps.. thanks jason for the workouts!

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
hmmm, partly me too, but overall i don't have big front delts, average. my side delts are bigger and as for my rear delts.... woah almost lost em there! hehe.. pecs aint tight either (shoulder sometimes bothers my chest press strength) gotta work them middle traps.. thanks jason for the workouts!
How do you know your pecs are not tight (the correct term would actually be short).

Try lying on your back. Now, with your thumbs facing upwards bring your arms up over your head and lower them behind you, keeping your elbows close to your ears. Keep your elbows LOCKED. If you cannot put your hands on the floor easily then you have shortness in your pecs and/or lats.

iddc

iddc

Awards
ohhh i thought it mean't how your chest looks.. haha.. just did it, easily.. really? some people can't do it?..

iddc

iddc

Awards
been doing benches correctly now! watched "so you think you can bench" series on youtube..
also been doing the strengthening exercises for the shoulders/midtraps and i'm getting less bothered with my right shoulder impingement!

as i\m doing OHPs (which really is a great compound) when i lower the weight below my chin, and start to push it overhead my right shoulder clicks (but doesn't bother the lift). but if i keep it in-line or slightly above my chin everything is fine.

should i keep it above my chin and sacrifice form?

iddc

iddc

Awards
bookmarked!

who would've know bodybuilding/weightlifting/strongman would be so taxing to the brain!
most guys think we are just dumba**ess but really it requires alot of research and understanding. next you have to separate science from broscience.. then you've gotta apply what you've learned..

an educated bodybuilder is the one who builds the best bod.

i should have been reading along time ago!