Routine Check--Streamlining

1. Routine Check--Streamlining

Guys--sorry for the long post
    With the start of track season (I coach), I am needing to streamline my workout.
    My goals are primarily maintenance and balance, with any performance benefits (I still race--marathons and half marathons--competitively) as a bonus.
    I can't guarantee any set # of workouts/week, but I should be able to get 4-5 (some weeks only 2 or 3).
    How does this look, what could I tweak?

Lower A:
    Deadlift (sumo or hex)
    Front Squat
    Glute Ham Raise
    Leg Press
    Bulgarian Squat (assistance)
    Standing calf raise

Lower B:
    Back Squat
    Romanian Deadlift
    Lunge
    Hack Squat
    Leg Curl (assistance)
    Seated Calf

Upper A
    Bench Press
    BB row
    DB military press
    DB incline press (assistance)
    Dip
    BB curl
    Facepull

Upper B
    Hang clean
    Incline press
    DB row
    Pull up
    CG press
    Cross-body hammer curls
    YLT's (lat raises supersetted with front raises, 'y raises', and finished with reverse flyes)

Sorry for the long post, just looking for a couple of extra sets of eyes

2. Just that weight lifting and marathon running is almost the 2 extremes, which I am sure you know since you are coaching running.
    It certainly appears that you have enough exercises in the box. If anything, I might guess that you could lessen some of them, if you are trying to keep up the running/track work moreso and still make gains in both areas.
    Have you looked at any of Dan John's stuff or training? I know he is a thrower etc. but has some great stuff for cross over athletes IMO.

3. Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    Just that weight lifting and marathon running is almost the 2 extremes, which I am sure you know since you are coaching running.
    It certainly appears that you have enough exercises in the box. If anything, I might guess that you could lessen some of them, if you are trying to keep up the running/track work moreso and still make gains in both areas.
    Have you looked at any of Dan John's stuff or training? I know he is a thrower etc. but has some great stuff for cross over athletes IMO.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    You are right-marathoning and BODYBUILDING are opposite ends of the spectrum-but weight training is a crucial compliment to elite running.
    I am not looking to make gains in both, just keep my strength while pressed for time due to track.
    Good suggestion on John-I will have to give him another look
    •   

4. Quote Originally Posted by scherbs View Post
    -but weight training is a crucial compliment to elite running.
    No doubt and lifting can improve nearly any walk of life really.

Good suggestion on John-I will have to give him another look
    Yeah, he is just full of knowledge and experience/coaching and knows his stuff.

5. I might sub out the leg press and hack squat for a unilateral free weight exercise. Single leg squats, split squats, etc.

I would also replace the leg curl with something more functional, especially towards running. If you want to train knee flexion, then I suggest either swiss ball leg curls or supine hanging leg curls. Both require you to stabilize the pelvis in a neutral position, whereas the machine based HS curl often turns into a massive anterior pelvic tilt to gain leverage and complete the movement...the exact opposite of what you want on the backside when running.

6. [QUOTE="ZiR RED;3882995"]I might sub out the leg press and hack squat for a unilateral free weight exercise. Single leg squats, split squats, etc.

I would also replace the leg curl with something more functional, especially towards running. If you want to train knee flexion, then I suggest either swiss ball leg curls or supine hanging leg curls. Both require you to stabilize the pelvis in a neutral position, whereas the machine based HS curl often turns into a massive anterior pelvic tilt to gain leverage and complete the movement...the exact opposite of what you want on the backside when running.

Great feedback
    Just what I was looking for

Similar Forum Threads

1. routine check and d/c opinions
    By Reflexion318 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-14-2012, 12:45 PM
  2. Workout Routine check it out tell me what you think
    By chuck66 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-06-2010, 05:15 PM
  3. Another routine check