Routine Check--Streamlining

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Guys--sorry for the long post
With the start of track season (I coach), I am needing to streamline my workout.
My goals are primarily maintenance and balance, with any performance benefits (I still race--marathons and half marathons--competitively) as a bonus.
I can't guarantee any set # of workouts/week, but I should be able to get 4-5 (some weeks only 2 or 3).
How does this look, what could I tweak?

Lower A:
Deadlift (sumo or hex)
Front Squat
Glute Ham Raise
Leg Press
Bulgarian Squat (assistance)
Standing calf raise

Lower B:
Back Squat
Romanian Deadlift
Lunge
Hack Squat
Leg Curl (assistance)
Seated Calf

Upper A
Bench Press
BB row
DB military press
DB incline press (assistance)
Dip
BB curl
Facepull

Upper B
Hang clean
Incline press
DB row
Pull up
CG press
Cross-body hammer curls
YLT's (lat raises supersetted with front raises, 'y raises', and finished with reverse flyes)

Sorry for the long post, just looking for a couple of extra sets of eyes

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Just that weight lifting and marathon running is almost the 2 extremes, which I am sure you know since you are coaching running.
It certainly appears that you have enough exercises in the box. If anything, I might guess that you could lessen some of them, if you are trying to keep up the running/track work moreso and still make gains in both areas.
Have you looked at any of Dan John's stuff or training? I know he is a thrower etc. but has some great stuff for cross over athletes IMO.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Just that weight lifting and marathon running is almost the 2 extremes, which I am sure you know since you are coaching running.
It certainly appears that you have enough exercises in the box. If anything, I might guess that you could lessen some of them, if you are trying to keep up the running/track work moreso and still make gains in both areas.
Have you looked at any of Dan John's stuff or training? I know he is a thrower etc. but has some great stuff for cross over athletes IMO.
Thanks for the feedback.
You are right-marathoning and BODYBUILDING are opposite ends of the spectrum-but weight training is a crucial compliment to elite running.
I am not looking to make gains in both, just keep my strength while pressed for time due to track.
Good suggestion on John-I will have to give him another look

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
-but weight training is a crucial compliment to elite running.
No doubt and lifting can improve nearly any walk of life really.

Good suggestion on John-I will have to give him another look
Yeah, he is just full of knowledge and experience/coaching and knows his stuff.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I might sub out the leg press and hack squat for a unilateral free weight exercise. Single leg squats, split squats, etc.

I would also replace the leg curl with something more functional, especially towards running. If you want to train knee flexion, then I suggest either swiss ball leg curls or supine hanging leg curls. Both require you to stabilize the pelvis in a neutral position, whereas the machine based HS curl often turns into a massive anterior pelvic tilt to gain leverage and complete the movement...the exact opposite of what you want on the backside when running.

[video=youtube;el-LVVUu6Ug]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el-LVVUu6Ug[/video]

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
I might sub out the leg press and hack squat for a unilateral free weight exercise. Single leg squats, split squats, etc.

I would also replace the leg curl with something more functional, especially towards running. If you want to train knee flexion, then I suggest either swiss ball leg curls or supine hanging leg curls. Both require you to stabilize the pelvis in a neutral position, whereas the machine based HS curl often turns into a massive anterior pelvic tilt to gain leverage and complete the movement...the exact opposite of what you want on the backside when running.

Great feedback
Just what I was looking for