Required Reading for a Trainer?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just wondering which books any of you guys have read that you would recommend to someone who trains themselves/others.

Just trying to find some new books to read up on for training methods/theories and the sciences behind training in general. I am also not opposed to just buying a solid textbook for physiology and further educating myself.

Anything you guys have read personally, or have heard about I am interested in. I need something to read when we are just sitting around at work/home and figured why not make it something that will help me in life.

Hopefully we can get some good discussion in here as well :thinking:

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I have quite a collection; One I recommend is Essentials of Strength and Condititioning Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning - 3rd Edition: National Strength and Conditioning Association: 9780736058032: Amazon.com: Books

Or Exercise Physiology 7th Ed. Exercise Physiology: Nutrition, Energy, and Human Performance by William D McArdle, Bs, M.Ed, PhD, Frank L Katch, Victor L Katch - New, Rare & Used Books Online at Alibris Marketplace : this one is some comprehensive but definitely fo people experienced with the terminology

And Physiology of Sport and Exercise 5th Ed. Physiology of Sport and Exercise With Web Study Guide-5th Edition: W. Larry Kenney, Jack Wilmore, David Costill: 9780736094092: Amazon.com: Books

These 3 are all textbooks but have provided the basework for all my studies. They are however quite pricey.

I don't any 'reading' books; all mine are heavily science based.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Starting strength 2nd edition is great. 56 pages on the squat!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Everything and anything

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
First, learn and become proficient in technique and analysis. This is not just what they're doing properly, but why it is happening whether it's a verbal cue, imbalance, misunderstanding, etc. After that, at least be able to understand some of the basic training periodization schemes such as Western aka linear, conjugate, block, and undulating.

Template-based
Lilly's Cube Method
Westside Book of Methods (take with a grain of salt as it's aim is geared lifters)
Wendler's Max Effort Method, 5/3/1 (all of them)
Smith Juggernaut Method

Theory-based
Supertraining by Siff
Anything by Bompa, Zatsiorsky, Verkoshansky, and Issurin

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have quite a collection; One I recommend is Essentials of Strength and Condititioning Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning - 3rd Edition: National Strength and Conditioning Association: 9780736058032: Amazon.com: Books

Or Exercise Physiology 7th Ed. Exercise Physiology: Nutrition, Energy, and Human Performance by William D McArdle, Bs, M.Ed, PhD, Frank L Katch, Victor L Katch - New, Rare & Used Books Online at Alibris Marketplace : this one is some comprehensive but definitely fo people experienced with the terminology

And Physiology of Sport and Exercise 5th Ed. Physiology of Sport and Exercise With Web Study Guide-5th Edition: W. Larry Kenney, Jack Wilmore, David Costill: 9780736094092: Amazon.com: Books

These 3 are all textbooks but have provided the basework for all my studies. They are however quite pricey.

I had a feeling you would be in here lol.

Thanks for the links, will check them out when I get home.

I wonder what pricey is to you lol, I'm cheap as hell.
Everything and anything

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S(TM)II using Tapatalk 2
lol any you prefer over others?

Also, it would be worth noting that my particular interest is performance/S+C (I want to work with athletes) but obviously I am completely open to studying the different methods for other aspects of fitness as well. (BBing, PLing, Strongman, etc.)

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
First, learn and become proficient in technique and analysis. This is not just what they're doing properly, but why it is happening whether it's a verbal cue, imbalance, misunderstanding, etc. After that, at least be able to understand some of the basic training periodization schemes such as Western aka linear, conjugate, block, and undulating.

Template-based
Lilly's Cube Method
Westside Book of Methods (take with a grain of salt as it's aim is geared lifters)
Wendler's Max Effort Method, 5/3/1 (all of them)
Smith Juggernaut Method

Theory-based
Supertraining by Siff
Anything by Bompa, Zatsiorsky, Verkoshansky, and Issurin
Great point!

I've always heard that I should read supertraining but have put it off, I'm glad you brought that up as I will definitely be looking for it now.

napalm

napalm

Awards
I'm about 2/3 through essentials...

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

You definitely were not kidding, I might have to take out a loan to buy those 3 lol.

napalm

napalm

Awards
You definitely were not kidding, I might have to take out a loan to buy those 3 lol.
I picked up essentials for 60 bucks w free shipping on eBay...

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I picked up essentials for 60 bucks w free shipping...

Lol that's still expensive. I can never get over how expensive books are!

I'm still going to get as many as I can though, it's just more than a days pay to get each one.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
coursera.org sign up for human physiology, chemistry, exercise physiology.

Its free and should provide you with a basic foundation.

MIT has a similar free online learning setup. You can check them out as well

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lol that's still expensive. I can never get over how expensive books are!

I'm still going to get as many as I can though, it's just more than a days pay to get each one.
It's not a great source of information, IMO.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
coursera.org sign up for human physiology, chemistry, exercise physiology.

Its free and should provide you with a basic foundation.

MIT has a similar free online learning setup. You can check them out as well

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S(TM)II using Tapatalk 2
I actually checked that out last night. Thanks for the link Josh!
It's not a great source of information, IMO.
Would you care to expound upon that opinion?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Would you care to expound upon that opinion?
For starters, they only touch upon one form of periodization, which gives the impression that it is the superior version compared to others. The only update they've really made to the text in years is adding in plyos (huge amount of irony there) and their techniques they only teach one technique for major lifts and don't expand on other versions at all (e.g. wide stance v Oly stance squat).

As an overall tone, I've noticed a huge shift towards the C and little for the S when it comes to S&C. Very little of the time that is spent teaching in many schools is towards the C and I put the NSCA at the forefront of that with their lack of practicum associated with the organization these days.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For starters, they only touch upon one form of periodization, which gives the impression that it is the superior version compared to others. The only update they've really made to the text in years is adding in plyos (huge amount of irony there) and their techniques they only teach one technique for major lifts and don't expand on other versions at all (e.g. wide stance v Oly stance squat).

As an overall tone, I've noticed a huge shift towards the C and little for the S when it comes to S&C. Very little of the time that is spent teaching in many schools is towards the C and I put the NSCA at the forefront of that with their lack of practicum associated with the organization these days.
I had remembered you talking about them only teaching one type of periodizarion.

Of the organizations that grant certifications which one do you have the most faith in?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had remembered you talking about them only teaching one type of periodizarion.

Of the organizations that grant certifications which one do you have the most faith in?
Honestly, they're mainly tools to get your foot in the door and a necessary evil. I have my CSCS for this exact reason. A certification is similar to an undergrad degree in that you only need to pass the curriculum set forth by a certain group of people. It's only when you expand the boundaries of your knowledge via graduate degrees and/or further reading does any of this knowledge really carry weight. This is my opinion, but having a certification doesn't make you qualified in the same way that not having a certification makes you unqualified. DeFranco, Simmons, Wendler, etc. are some examples of guys that don't have a huge list of certifications yet no person in their right mind would question their knowledge.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Honestly, they're mainly tools to get your foot in the door and a necessary evil. I have my CSCS for this exact reason. A certification is similar to an undergrad degree in that you only need to pass the curriculum set forth by a certain group of people. It's only when you expand the boundaries of your knowledge via graduate degrees and/or further reading does any of this knowledge really carry weight. This is my opinion, but having a certification doesn't make you qualified in the same way that not having a certification makes you unqualified. DeFranco, Simmons, Wendler, etc. are some examples of guys that don't have a huge list of certifications yet no person in their right mind would question their knowledge.
That was my understanding as well (I believe we've had this discussion before). I'm looking into getting the same certification if at all possible.

DeFranco is my hero.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Focus on getting a basic understanding on how things function first. Than once you understand the mechanisms you start to understand the how part of the question. After this you can start reviewing relevant research and learn how to analyze the data and draw conclusions. This is your best tool you can have. An actual understanding. Then as rodja has pointed out there are some amazing coaches that have years and years of experience but as I said earlier read everything! Don't limit yourself. Even if it is something you will disagree with read it still. Everything helps to broaden your horizon and understanding and will make you a better coach. You will never stop learning in this field.

If you want a textbook like book I would go with supertraining over the NSCA book

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
They are pricey, and are more geared at the physiology side. If you wanted to just focus on S+C then the ideas Rodja gave are good examples. My interests are how the body responds (via hormonal release and whatnot) and nutrition as opposed to S+C (which I find interesting but not to the same degree). Essentials has good basic knowledge on hormones and things which may expand your knowledge in that area. IMO its not a complete write off and does have some useful info in it, but it does lack variety in methods.

In saying that, I agree wholeheartedly that Certs are a necessary evil in the same way that I don't have faith in my educational institution to a degree; often things they say regarding nutrition make me cringe but you have to accept what they teach, but that doesn't mean you agree with it.

I'm actually about to pick up some books myself ( I have the 5/3/1 ebooks + westside and Juggernaut (yet to read the last two)) so i'll buy supertraining and some others.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Just bought supertraining. :D

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
They are pricey, and are more geared at the physiology side. If you wanted to just focus on S+C then the ideas Rodja gave are good examples. My interests are how the body responds (via hormonal release and whatnot) and nutrition as opposed to S+C (which I find interesting but not to the same degree). Essentials has good basic knowledge on hormones and things which may expand your knowledge in that area. IMO its not a complete write off and does have some useful info in it, but it does lack variety in methods.

In saying that, I agree wholeheartedly that Certs are a necessary evil in the same way that I don't have faith in my educational institution to a degree; often things they say regarding nutrition make me cringe but you have to accept what they teach, but that doesn't mean you agree with it.

I'm actually about to pick up some books myself ( I have the 5/3/1 ebooks + westside and Juggernaut (yet to read the last two)) so i'll buy supertraining and some others.
Ordered Juggernaut method yesterday. Found a few that looked interesting at a bookstore as well yesterday.

Just bought supertraining. :D

I hate you ....

napalm

napalm

Awards
while i wouldn't consider it a classic, tate's "the vault" is pretty good and has links at the end to all his seminars. it's free too...

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have nothing really to add...most have given great recommendations. I think one thing to do is read a lot and don't limit yourself, if something looks interesting give it a read even if it doesn't end up reinventing how you think. ;)

I will say I love Supertraining though..one of my better purchases.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subscribing for a one-stop shop for training references.

mmorton

mmorton

Awards
Probably get grilled for this but Arnold's book of Modern Bodybuilding. I still enjoy it

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
Look up stuff on fascial release. So often people focus in working the muscle but not the fascia and it causes all sorts of problems later on. Learn the pec release and rhomboid release as it goes hand in hand with inverted shoulders that you see a lot in today's society with everyone being at computers all day. Not sure of any good books for it off the top of y head but if you google it I'm sure you'll find a bunch if good stuff

Best,
CC

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Probably get grilled for this but Arnold's book of Modern Bodybuilding. I still enjoy it
Not really a required read for a strength trainer though, lol

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think my next major book purchase will be Supertraining.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think my next major book purchase will be Supertraining.
It's a relatively boring read with a lot more theory than practicum. Nothing negative about that, but don't expect a lot of implementation of the information.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's a relatively boring read with a lot more theory than practicum. Nothing negative about that, but don't expect a lot of implementation of the information.
I planned it to be one of my next as well. Hopefully it isn't TOO boring to read :laugh:

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I like to see how things work, so theory is great. Plus I can create my own theories with more information. If it sucks I already know I can put it on eBay...

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Find older editions and used online.